X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPetrutis
    Designated Marksman
    • May 2014

Had a bad round today

I was trying to shoot targets for the friendly shoot today. My first mistake was not bringing all of my ammo to the range. I thought I had but I had accidentally packed my 7.62x54R box instead of my second range box full of Federal XM80CL so this left me with only 30 rounds for the M1A. My second mistake was that I purchased a box of Freedom Munitions brand ammo (150gr) so I could still have some fun. It was the only .308/7.62 the range sold. Ran into an issue with one of the rounds so I ceased shooting for the day. My rifle had already swallowed some Federal and PPU 7.62 without issue before I got to the box of Freedom Munitions rounds. When I fired this particular round I noticed a difference in kick and the bolt appeared to still be locked closed. I had to use my Leatherman as a bit of a hammer on the handle to unlock the bolt. Below is a picture of the case in question. After looking at the headstamp and the casing in general it would appear I had a box of reloads instead of new rounds. I wish I would have noticed that beforehand. Live and learn. Fortunately nothing is wrong with my rifle. Is this a case of too much powder in the round? I don't reload and, knock on wood, haven't had many ammo-induced failures.

It's not the years... it's the mileage.
    Garand Collectors Association Member

Winning Red Team Member - 2014 Fall Postal Shoot
  • M1art
    Platoon Sgt
    • Mar 2011

Re: Had a bad round today

Man, that is ugly. It doesn't look like the primer is flattened. That would be one indication of an overcharge. In the second picture, is that a shadow or is there soot from the primer being pierced?
    Is the spent primer loose in the pocket?
    I don't see bress flowing around the ejector or extractor, but ugly either way.

- - - Updated - - -

If the bolt stayed closed, maybe an under charge, or no charge at all. Will a primer alone generate enough pressure to send the bullet out of the barrel?
    The case damage looks mechanical, like the case was stuck in the chamber and the bolt rotation caused it.

M14RA Certified Rifle Instructor
    M14RA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Avatar is Leeland M Searls, Master Seargent USAF. 1917-2011

Comment

• budster
      Command Sgt Major
      • Jun 2012

Very keen eye, M1Art.

Comment

• JPetrutis
        Designated Marksman
        • May 2014

That was not a shadow, it's powder residue around the primer. As best as I can tell the primer is still tight in the casing. Luckily the chamber and the bolt appear to still be just fine but it did take some force to unlock the bolt. Maybe the higher pressure expanded the casing a little too tight in the chamber? I've had rounds that were duds, I have even had a pop-no-kick before. Never had this happen and I'm very curious as to the cause for my own knowledge. I almost never use reloads unless I know the person first-hand for reasons like this. This one kinda slipped by me.

Comment

• m1ashooter
          • Apr 2011

Are you familiar with placing the but of your rifle on the ground and putting downward pressure on the ops rod handle with your foot? Like stomping on it. This will free up your bolt also.
          You all can go to hell, I'm goin to Texas.
          Davie Crockett

Comment

• 9th
            Administrator
            • Mar 2011

It looks like Nato brass. it looks like the crimp was improperly swaged.
            Remember our fallen...

sigpic

Comment

• GunnyG
              Platoon Sgt
              • Apr 2014

Magnifying the image 4X, the primer is cratered and the pocket looks expanded to the right. Try pushing it out with a piece of wire.

Also looks like some of the case head was pushed into the ejector recess. If you have a micrometer or caliper, measure the case head and rim diameters and compare to unfired cartridges. Looks like an over pressure event to me. I would talk to the person who sold them to you so someone else doesn't run into this.
              There were a lot worse places than Phu Bai and they weren't all in Viet Nam.
              sigpic

Comment

• m1ashooter
                • Apr 2011

Freedom Munitions does reload. You might want to contact them with the box data as a FYI.
                You all can go to hell, I'm goin to Texas.
                Davie Crockett

Comment

• JPetrutis
                  Designated Marksman
                  • May 2014

Will do. Thanks for all of the input everyone. Sadly, I didn't save the box but I will talk with the range shop about the problem.

Comment

• budster
                    Command Sgt Major
                    • Jun 2012

Even NATO brass has some bad ones in the lot. It probably was once fired MG and reworked for loading. I have seen this before with splitting necks and partial case separation and some rim tears but, never as bad as the one in the photo.

Comment

• mikenewM1Ashooter
                      Squad Leader
                      • Jul 2011

Since you do not reload, you may never have heard of a case (check) guage. Ask around of some of your buds if they have one in 306/7.62, Ask the man if he would spec out (a spare you may have saved) for you. Then, maybe, maybe pull the bullet, weigh the charge, weigh the bullet too. Most unlikely to i.d. the powder exactly, yet this gives you a starting place to speak to Freedom Munitions bout dat.

Comment

• JPetrutis
                        Designated Marksman
                        • May 2014

I do have a friend that reloads (and 308 at that). I'll pester him after the holiday weekend. Thanks!

Comment

• budster
                          Command Sgt Major
                          • Jun 2012

When ever I have shot my first round in any caliber larger than 30'06, I tend to flinch. Thereafter I don't. I wonder?

Comment

• ifithitu
                            Rifleman
                            • Feb 2017

That is ugly.
                            0311 Grunt RVN 68/69
                            Semper Fi.

Comment

Working...