X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sebastianhammer
    Fire Team Leader
    • Aug 2020

Re: Scoped M14 questions

Have recently gotten a smith mount and rings mounted on my rifle with a Leupold VX-II on top. I sent it back to them to get the mounts and scope installed. When I was trying to sight it in I am extremely low. I dialed the scope all the way up and am still a foot low at 100 yards. Any thoughts?

Comment

• nf1e
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by sebastianhammer
      Have recently gotten a smith mount and rings mounted on my rifle with a Leupold VX-II on top. I sent it back to them to get the mounts and scope installed. When I was trying to sight it in I am extremely low. I dialed the scope all the way up and am still a foot low at 100 yards. Any thoughts?
      If your scope mount has a stabilizing screw that comes down on the receiver ring, it may have been turned down too much causing the scope to point higher than it should. I have seen this on a number of DIY scope installation. You might try removing the mount and re-installing it yourself going exactly by install instructions. One rifle the gent changed to a Sadlak mount and had not problems after that.
      Sgt USMC
      RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

• sebastianhammer
        Fire Team Leader
        • Aug 2020

It was installed by the guys at Smith. I am pretty sure I could not do this better than they did. I will, though, see if I can find the stabilizing screw you are talking about. I really hope it is something that simple.

Comment

• LDO6490
          Platoon Sgt
          • May 2020

It was installed by the guys at Smith. I am pretty sure I could not do this better than they did. I will, though, see if I can find the stabilizing screw you are talking about. I really hope it is something that simple.
          I would talk to Ron directly. Interested to see what the fix is
          3rd Place 2021 Spring Fling

Comment

• nf1e
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LDO6490
            I would talk to Ron directly. Interested to see what the fix is
            That would be the best route. I think we all would like to hear what went wrong after they mounted your scope.
            Sgt USMC
            RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

• sebastianhammer
              Fire Team Leader
              • Aug 2020

I talked to him and he said that he didn't work on it I would have to talk to Andy. Talked to Andy and he said to see if I could take off the elevation adjustment knobs and get more height out of the scope. Called Leupold and the tech there said on the VX-II you cannot do that, once you hit the stop on the elevation that is all it has. I have been using milsurp ammo (forgot origination) and someone suggested I might want to try some factory hunting ammo and see if that makes any difference. I have a box of 150 grain Core Lokt and Hornady white tail ammo. I will take it out with those, hopefully, this week and see how that goes. I don't really have high hopes, though.

Comment

• LDO6490
                Platoon Sgt
                • May 2020

I talked to him and he said that he didn't work on it I would have to talk to Andy. Talked to Andy and he said to see if I could take off the elevation adjustment knobs and get more height out of the scope. Called Leupold and the tech there said on the VX-II you cannot do that, once you hit the stop on the elevation that is all it has. I have been using milsurp ammo (forgot origination) and someone suggested I might want to try some factory hunting ammo and see if that makes any difference. I have a box of 150 grain Core Lokt and Hornady white tail ammo. I will take it out with those, hopefully, this week and see how that goes. I don't really have high hopes,though.
                Have you tried putting on another scope to see if it has the same issue? If it has the same issue than it’s the mount.

Comment

• nf1e
                  • Mar 2011

I talked to him and he said that he didn't work on it I would have to talk to Andy. Talked to Andy and he said to see if I could take off the elevation adjustment knobs and get more height out of the scope. Called Leupold and the tech there said on the VX-II you cannot do that, once you hit the stop on the elevation that is all it has. I have been using milsurp ammo (forgot origination) and someone suggested I might want to try some factory hunting ammo and see if that makes any difference. I have a box of 150 grain Core Lokt and Hornady white tail ammo. I will take it out with those, hopefully, this week and see how that goes. I don't really have high

Have you tried putting on another scope to see if it has the same issue? If it has the same issue than it’s the mount.
                  Could also be the receiver isn't just right. That happens quite often. Whoever mounted the scope should have, at least, boresighted it which would have shown the problem at the time.
                  Sgt USMC
                  RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

• LDO6490
                    Platoon Sgt
                    • May 2020

Originally posted by nf1e

Could also be the receiver isn't just right. That happens quite often. Whoever mounted the scope should have, at least, boresighted it which would have shown the problem at the time.
                    I hope they did as that’s a given....even I know that as a novice......

Comment

• nf1e
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by nf1e

I hope they did as that’s a given....even I know that as a novice......
                      Somebody made a boo boo somewhere.
                      Sgt USMC
                      RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

• Random Guy
                        Section Leader
                        • Apr 2017

A profile picture of the mount from the right side would help, as its not possible to know if you have a cant on your mount.
                        Please see attached instructions for a BPT mount. The final step is to set the 'receiver crown screw' that should just barely touch the recevier.
                        If the screw is adjusted too far down the mount will tilt upward, if its backed out too far, the rail can point downward. If you have a similar mount, I would check here first.
                        I would like to stress that the sequence of how these 3 attachment mounts are to be installed must be followed correctly, as noted in these 1998 instructions...

Good luck with your scope issue.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• nf1e
                          • Mar 2011

Oftentimes a remove and re-install has solved this same situation for many shooters.
                          Sgt USMC
                          RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

• sebastianhammer
                            Fire Team Leader
                            • Aug 2020

I should have some time to look at it tomorrow. Man I hope it is something fairly simple.

Comment

• sebastianhammer
                              Fire Team Leader
                              • Aug 2020

And, I really thank y'all for all the suggestions.

Comment

• nf1e
                                • Mar 2011

You are welcome, I am sure. This has happened at least 4 and a half gazillion times. You are not alone.
                                Sgt USMC
                                RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

Working...