X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Different
    Designated Marksman
    • Jul 2012

M14 Parts - USGI Wood Stock Identification

USGI M14 fiberglass stocks were made by General Tire & Rubber Co. Here are some tips to identifying who made your USGI wood M14 stock. The information posted is incomplete. If you can supply me photo(s) of your stock with a manufacturer marking that adds to the list, please send it to me at [email protected]

Manufacturer Identification

The manufacturer identification, if present, is located on the butt end under the butt plate.

H - Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. (Worcester, MA)
    O - S . E. Overton Co. (South Haven, MI) (made stocks for TRW)
    SA or S.A. - Springfield Armory (Springfield, MA)
    S under a half-diamond - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. (Brookline, MA) (subcontractor to Springfield Armory)
    W-W - Winchester-Western (New Haven, CT)

Wood Type

M14 rifles were assembled with wood stocks from the fall of 1959 until July 1963. All four government entities used wood stocks during this two year period for factory assembly of complete rifles.

Black Walnut - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc., Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., S. E. Overton Co., Springfield Armory, and Winchester-Western

Yellow Birch - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc., Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., S. E. Overton Co., Springfield Armory, and Winchester-Western

Some walnut and birch stocks were stamped on the butt with numerals, e.g., 1 or 3. Springfield Armory and Harrington & Richardson Arms did so. H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. stocks were made as replacement parts, both standard rack grade and National Match stocks. Some H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. M14 NM stocks have the part number 7791174 stamped into the wood under the butt plate. H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. and Winchester-Western "big red" birch stocks were often stamped with the part number 11010263 under the butt plate.

Stock Ferrules

Stock ferrules were staked to the front end of the wood stock using either a pin punch (ice pick / dimple appearance) or a half-moon crimp (gorilla thumbnail appearance). The pin punch method of staking was used throughout government production of the M14 and M14 NM rifles. I have a Springfield Armory M14 NM walnut stock with a pin punch staked ferrule. IMO, it's not accurate to say the pin punch ferrules were only used early in the M14 project. The half-moon crimped stock ferrules do seem to be more common.

Pin punch staked ferrules - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc., Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., S. E. Overton Co., Springfield Armory, and Winchester-Western

Half-moon crimped ferrules - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc., Springfield Armory, and Winchester-Western

Proof P and DAS Markings

Proof P markings on M14 stocks have been observed in two styles, serif font and Arial style. Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. used the Arial style proof marking. Springfield Armory, TRW and Winchester used both serif and Arial P proof stamps on completed rifles.

DOD cartouche on side of the buttstock or on the trigger guard recess - Winchester-Western

DOD cartouche and proof P markings both visible on the stock - indicates a stock used to assemble a M14 rifle at the factory: Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., Springfield Armory, TRW and Winchester-Western (Olin Mathieson Chemical Corp.) M14 NM rifles built by Springfield Armory and TRW were also given both markings on the stock.

Most replacement stocks lack the proof P and DOD cartouches. If Springfield Armory shipped a replacement stock (made by H. Sacks & Sons, Inc.), it left with a DOD cartouche. A proof P inside a square marking means the rifle was rebuilt at an arsenal or depot and proof fired.

If anyone can provide photos of the following, please send photos to me at leeace99@hotmail

1) Harrington & Richardson stamped butt end with half-moon crimped ferrule
    Last edited by Different; 8 June 2014, 01:38 PM. Reason: Updated 06-08-14
  • Different
    Designated Marksman
    • Jul 2012

Re: M14 Parts - USGI Wood Stock Identification

The stock manufacturer previously identified as Sykes Manufacturing was actually H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. (Brookline, MA), a well known wood furniture manufacturer of the 1960s. The sources of this new revelation is from M14E2 birch stock factory packaging and U. S. government records.

Comment

• wrwindsor
      Administrator
      • Mar 2011

Under what circumstances were the yellow birch stocks stained?

All of the ones I pulled down from the CMP were stained to look like walnut. There are places where the yellow birch shows through in locations that were sanded after-the-fact (before the CMP shipped them).

Comment

• Different
        Designated Marksman
        • Jul 2012

From M14 Rifle History and Development Fifth Edition:

"Before final assembly, each wood stock was dipped in tung oil. The walnut stocks were dipped twice but the birch stocks only once. It was found during the first half of 1962 that two coats of oil left excessive oil and residue on the birch stocks due to that wood’s different grain characteristics and slower absorption of oil as compared to walnut. Consequently, the procedure was changed to one coat of oil for birch stocks.

Commercial producers of the USGI M14 rifle sprayed a stain on the birch stocks prior to the dipping in oil. This produced a color very close to that of black walnut. After several days of draining and drying, sample stocks were tested for resistance to smoke and water before the rest of the lot was approved for oil treatment and final assembly. TRW was assembling its M14 rifles with birch stocks in the fall of 1962. The last M14 rifles assembled with wood stocks left the commercial manufacturers in July 1963. Birch is stronger and harder than walnut. Walnut is about 10 % lighter than birch."

Comment

• Hawk
          Owner / Administrator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Different
          The stock manufacturer previously identified as Sykes Manufacturing was actually H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. (Brookline, MA), a well known wood furniture manufacturer of the 1960s. The sources of this new revelation is from M14E2 birch stock factory packaging and U. S. government records.
          Thanks Lee! I wonder how long it will take for those who know them as Sykes will make change to their reference????
          Semper-Fi! Hawk
          Pfc USMC 3371 71-73
          3rd FSSR Okinawa 72-73

Life Member 3rd Mar Div Assoc.
          Life Member DAV
          Life Member World Warrior Alliance
          Life Member Shorinjiryu Shinzen Kyokai
          Life Member Peaceful Mountain Tanzan Ryu

Aim small.....Miss small!

Creator of the SparrowHawkM14 "Original" M14 Dummy Kit.TM
          Creator and former owner of the "Original" M14 Forum

Comment

• budster
            Command Sgt Major
            • Jun 2012

Great posts, Lee....Thank you!!!

Comment

• wrwindsor
              Administrator
              • Mar 2011

Black Walnut - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc., Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., S. E. Overton & Co., Springfield Armory, and Winchester-Western

Yellow Birch - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc., Harrington & Richarson Arms Co., S. E. Overton & Co., and Winchester-Western
              Commercial producers of the USGI M14 rifle sprayed a stain on the birch stocks prior to the dipping in oil. This produced a color very close to that of black walnut.
              So by doing the math, those that used yellow birch stocks also stained them to look like walnut.

Comment

• SSD
                Section Leader
                • Nov 2011

Wow, an incredible bit of information there, I didn't know half of all this about the stocks! Great posts, and thanks for all the research!
                Regards, Jamie
                NRA Life Member

Comment

• Different
                  Designated Marksman
                  • Jul 2012

Updated information on Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., S. E. Overton Co. and Springfield Armory stocks.
                  Last edited by Different; 28 December 2013, 06:14 AM.

Comment

• Different
                    Designated Marksman
                    • Jul 2012

Does anyone have a HRA (H stamp on the butt end) or a Winchester-Western (W-W stamp on the butt end) stock with a Defense Acceptance Stamp and a proof P marking? If so, is the "P" a serif font "P" or an Arial style "P"? TIA
                    Last edited by Different; 27 December 2013, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• M1Sniper
                      Section Leader
                      • May 2012

Hi Lee,,I have 2 H&R stocks. Both have the "cattle brand" H mark under the butt plates. One has an elongated P like TRW the other is a regular non serif P. Both have the pin prick dimples on the ferrules.Both have nice DAS stamps.Pics not possible right now till I replace the hard drive on MY puter. Using my Sons laptop right now.I will check my photobucket album,I may have sent pics to Ironworker from there.

Comment

• M1Sniper
                        Section Leader
                        • May 2012

Comment

• Hawk
                          Owner / Administrator
                          • Mar 2011

I thought I had a HR stock here, but I just looked and no go. I'll look at the stocks I have downstate when I go back down on Monday and see if any are HR or Winnie. The Winnie stock I have up here doesn't have the DOD or circle "P"
                          Semper-Fi! Hawk
                          Pfc USMC 3371 71-73
                          3rd FSSR Okinawa 72-73

Life Member 3rd Mar Div Assoc.
                          Life Member DAV
                          Life Member World Warrior Alliance
                          Life Member Shorinjiryu Shinzen Kyokai
                          Life Member Peaceful Mountain Tanzan Ryu

Aim small.....Miss small!

Creator of the SparrowHawkM14 "Original" M14 Dummy Kit.TM
                          Creator and former owner of the "Original" M14 Forum

Comment

• Different
                            Designated Marksman
                            • Jul 2012

Original post updated. The research is not complete on this topic but the following are facts regarding 1960s era wood M14 stocks:

1) All five stock makers used both birch and walnut.
                            2) All five stock makers used the pin punch (dimple) method of staking the ferrule.
                            3) At least four of five stock makers used the crimping (half-moon) method of staking the ferrule.
                            4) Both Springfield Armory and TRW used both Arial and serif font proof P stamps.
                            5) Springfield Armory assembled M14 rifles with Springfield Armory and H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. wood stocks.

If you have a Winchester-Western (W-W stamped) stock with a DOD cartouche and proof P stamp, does it have an Arial or serif font P mark? Anyone have a H stamped stock with a half-moon crimped ferrule? TIA
                            Last edited by Different; 29 December 2013, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Cpt. Obvious
                              FNG
                              • Dec 2013

Both the birch stocks I got recently from Fred's are Winchester with serif Ps. I can try and get some pictures up this weekend, if you'd like.

ETA: just noticed one of which is a little warped to one side, awesome...
                              Last edited by Cpt. Obvious; 1 February 2014, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Working...