X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoExpert
    Designated Marksman
    • Mar 2011

AK-74's bolt action cousin...

...the SSG-82 from East Germany. I recently acquired one from a guy at the other place. From what I've read, not much is known about these rifles. They're a 5.45x39 bolt action with a hammer forged barrel. They have a seven way adjustable trigger which is aluminum, a rotating bolt (only the handle rotates) which cocks on opening with two locking lugs and one safety lug that lock into the receiver, and is fed by a six round detachable magazine. A Zeiss Jena ZF4/S fixed four power scope with adjustable elevation and focus sits on top, the windage is adjusted by two screws on the mount, which is a detachable style that rotates on and off. The scope is also marked with matching SN from the rifle and bolt, 0688, and has a German post style reticle. The stock on this one has been altered from it's original orange varnish and refinished with a brown stain with black on the stippled grip areas. Four QD flush cups were added to the sides of the stock as well as an aluminum European style accessory rail. From the little that is known, about 2000 were made and about 600 were imported into the US by Century Arms. It's not clear who made them and what their purpose, if any, was in the DDR. From notes I've read, it seems to have been made for counterterrorist use at airports. I've also read about several shortcomings in the design of the rifle which may have doomed it to the obscure status it now has.

It's my first bolt action centerfire rifle, I bought it mainly for plinking and fun, plus the ammo is relatively cheap. I'll get pics of it up a bit later, have a few things to do this weekend.
  • 9th
    Administrator
    • Mar 2011

Re: AK-74's bolt action cousin...

sounds like a great rifle with a GREAT optic!

Photos??
    Remember our fallen...

sigpic

Comment

• NoExpert
      Designated Marksman
      • Mar 2011

I'll try to get pics today, have a lot to do this weekend. Trying to get my Range Rover back on the road this month lots to get done.

Comment

• Voodoo
        Platoon Sgt
        • Apr 2011

I remember those being imported by Century at one point in time.

I don't think it was intended as a sniper rifle; from the way it is built, it seems like more of a purpose built biathalon rifle to me.

"Suck on the barrel of my hot shotgun, smile when you say 'Damn Yankee'....."

My occupational hazard being, my occupation just ain't around.

Comment

• NoExpert
          Designated Marksman
          • Mar 2011

There's a Suhl 150 that Century also imported which the action looks very similar to, but with sights and in .22, more like a target rifle. The fact this one is chambered in a military round is what makes it interesting. There are plenty more accurate rounds for biathlon rifles, so why use this round? It's definitely a mysterious rifle. The docs I read listed it as a special purpose rifle, NOT a sniper rifle and it was very clear about this. It was a translation from German, so parts of it were hard to get, but overall it was pretty informative.

Comment

• Voodoo
            Platoon Sgt
            • Apr 2011

The link above is a German language only site I found that is dedicated to the SSG 82. Mein deutch is not the best, but from what I could gather from this site's info, the SSG-82 was something of an experiment; it appears that it was developed on a shoestring budget (there is a part in there about "counting every East German mark"), and that the areas stressed were high accuracy, low price, and (possibly) with the use of/in conjuction with the development of new technologies that could also be used for civilian hunting arms (that part doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I'm having trouble reading some of it).

According to this site, it was NOT used by the East German Army, but was intended for use by the Stasi (Mdi= Ministry of the Interior) in a counter terror/hostage rescue role, and another organization that translates to either "special police" or "riot police".

Comment

• NoExpert
              Designated Marksman
              • Mar 2011

Yup, that's the site. Never said military use, just noted it using a military caliber. There are some hard to translate portions on that site, but in general you can decipher it.

Comment

• Voodoo
                Platoon Sgt
                • Apr 2011

It's an interesting gun, the more you read about it. Nobody seems to be sure exactly why they were made or who used them.

If there were only 2000 built, that would definitely put it in a special or limited use category.

Supposedly with the proper ammunition, it was very accurate, although also going by what I've been reading, the correct ammo was not the same stuff that was used in the AK74, even though it was the same caliber.

There was a post on another board that said something about it being by some type of East German airport security forces. It would kind of make sense, given the chambering and number made; short ranges, comparatively low penetration, minimal collateral damage, etc.

Maybe it was a stopgap, put together on the cheap for a role that wasn't filled well by other weapons.

Comment

• NoExpert
                  Designated Marksman
                  • Mar 2011

That's pretty much the same info I've found.

The rifles originally came with I think 60 rounds of Nobel Dynamit ammo for them. This was supposedly the correct and most accurate ammo for them. When I received it, it came with 540 rounds of various ammo; Wolf, Barnaul, and Hot Shot. I also bought 200 rounds of Hornady V-Max ammo for it. Looks like I can get anywhere between 55 and 69 gr. ammo for it, just have to be careful it's not corrosive.

Today I think I'll have time to get some pics of it. May even find a little time to go try it out.

Comment

• Rainman
                    Staff Alumni
                    • Apr 2011

They were real cheap at first then got expensive. I heard they broke extractors, IIRC. Also, IIRC, their main purpose was for DDR guards on the wall. Who knows...
                    BLUE LIVES MATTER
                    Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
                    Let my aim be true and my hand faster
                    than those who would seek to destroy me.
                    Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
                    Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
                    And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
                    Let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Comment

• NoExpert
                      Designated Marksman
                      • Mar 2011

They can break extractors if you use lacquered cases and heat them up by shooting quickly. The triggers are also fragile and can break if you side load them. The magazines don't seem to be heat treated and are on the flimsy side, the scope doesn't lend itself to accuracy due to the German post style reticle, and other issues. I know I could have gotten a better rifle for less, but I like neat pieces of history.

Comment

• Rainman
                        Staff Alumni
                        • Apr 2011

Very cool piece of history, and I'd bet lunch it will shoot purdy darn good.
                        BLUE LIVES MATTER
                        Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
                        Let my aim be true and my hand faster
                        than those who would seek to destroy me.
                        Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
                        Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
                        And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
                        Let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Comment

• NoExpert
                          Designated Marksman
                          • Mar 2011

Haven't even shot it yet... Either I have time and no money or money and no time. Soon though.

Pics that I was taking a while back.

Comment

• louie
                            Platoon Sgt
                            • Mar 2011

Score!
                            Nice Stick!

How's the spare parts market on 'em?

louie, out!
                            I don't trust the fed...they lie & make shit up... -9th

"...Home, home again.
                            I like to be here when I can.
                            When I come in, cold and tired,
                            It's good to warm my bones beside the fire..."

Comment

• Voodoo
                              Platoon Sgt
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by louie
                              Score!
                              Nice Stick!

How's the spare parts market on 'em?

louie, out!
                              Slim.

From what I've read, it's hard to find parts for them.

Comment

Working...