• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mud Pie
    First Shirt
    • Jun 2020

Re: It pays to persevere.....

Originally posted by LDO6490
    Glad to see your hard work paid off. While I am still active, I am dreading the day that I need the VA.
    I've always said that I'd go to a real hospital and skip out on the bill then go to the VA....
    The older I get, the more I realize "life in prison" is not that much of a deterrent.

Comment

• Hawk
      Owner / Administrator
      • Mar 2011

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Since 2009 I have used the Va almost extensively. They saved my life as I had a very close brush with death due to a double blood infection. I actually turned septic and had A strep. They went out of their way to make me comfortable during the entire ordeal. In fact, when I left the Albany VA hospital, a nurse ran down the hall to ask me if I wanted a flu shot on the way out.

A few years ago I had half my thyroid removed at the Northport Va. The dr/surgeon was excellent and really cared about me as a person. If I had to come up with a bad experience it would have to be dental. The last visit I had, there was this kid who when I complained that I couldn't eat with the dentures they gave me because they were too big in my mouth and that they made me look like I had buck teeth, I was told tht as we get older our lips recede which I think is BS. He also had the attitude that I should be happy as they were free.

Covid has delayed my dealing further with that, but rest assured, I will take care of this at a later date.

My heart Dr, is top notch and very well respected and works in several hospitals here in NY.
      Semper-Fi! Hawk
      Pfc USMC 3371 71-73
      3rd FSSR Okinawa 72-73

Life Member 3rd Mar Div Assoc.
      Life Member DAV
      Life Member World Warrior Alliance
      Life Member Shorinjiryu Shinzen Kyokai
      Life Member Peaceful Mountain Tanzan Ryu

Aim small.....Miss small!

Creator of the SparrowHawkM14 "Original" M14 Dummy Kit.TM
      Creator and former owner of the "Original" M14 Forum

Comment

• Mud Pie
        First Shirt
        • Jun 2020

Hawk-

Well, our lips don't recede, per se, as we age, but they do get thinner. We produce less collagen, so they get thinner. So he was kinda/sorta right, just used the wrong terminology. Will those dentures be replaced if you "accidentally" dance on them ? If yes, put on a good Irish song and do the jig on them !! My mom had ill fitting dentures her whole life, it was miserable.
        The older I get, the more I realize "life in prison" is not that much of a deterrent.

Comment

• Hawk
          Owner / Administrator
          • Mar 2011

They just might! How'd you know I'm 1/4 Irish???
          Semper-Fi! Hawk
          Pfc USMC 3371 71-73
          3rd FSSR Okinawa 72-73

Life Member 3rd Mar Div Assoc.
          Life Member DAV
          Life Member World Warrior Alliance
          Life Member Shorinjiryu Shinzen Kyokai
          Life Member Peaceful Mountain Tanzan Ryu

Aim small.....Miss small!

Creator of the SparrowHawkM14 "Original" M14 Dummy Kit.TM
          Creator and former owner of the "Original" M14 Forum

Comment

• 4570govt
            Administrator
            • Mar 2011

My personal experience with the VA has been positive, I know that's not the case for everyone. I think President Trump made it a priority to straighten some things out, far more than previous administrations.
            "Keep 'em in the 10 Ring!"

Comment

Working...