Comment

• Rainman
      Staff Alumni
      • Apr 2011

Re: marlin in .45 -70

Originally posted by louie
      "Hey buddy, dooya wanna try this elephant gun?"
      "HAH! No!, Thank You!"
      When I was about 14 or so, Dad was shooting Bench at the El Paso Gun Club, and a fella came in, sighting in his .460 Weatherby pre hunt. It was loud, and the only cartridge I'd seen that big were 50BMG rounds we picked up in the desert outside of Ft Bliss. I lamented I'd like to shoot it and the adults laughed.... The guy said I could have the rifle if I could shoot it 5 times, and my dad nodded and the gave another laugh. I sat up at the bench, put a 20lb shot bag between me and the rifle and fired the 5 rounds, a horrendous boom and recoil followed each one... I looked up and said how proud I was of my new rifle, and was quickly ushered off the line. LOL Dad ought to have known, he taught me that for sight ins.

I woke up the next day with the right side of my body bruised and my ears still
      ringing. Still, that #3 Ruger in 45-70 had more "bite" than the big Weatherby.

Another good one was the first time I saw a real M16...The guy said it didn't recoil and that you could put it on your nose and shoot it. He did, and touched off a 3-4 shot burst, promptly breaking his nose and scattering blood everywhere.... Dumbazz...At 14 I knew not to play with firearms like that.
      BLUE LIVES MATTER
      Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
      Let my aim be true and my hand faster
      than those who would seek to destroy me.
      Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
      Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
      And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
      Let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Comment

• budster
        Command Sgt Major
        • Jun 2012

Rainman, I too have tried a .460 Weatherby but with a factory KDF. Wasn't bad but, I cannot do a steady diet.

There is some ongoing experimentation of the .45-70, 458 Win Mag and 458 Lott in loading them with the BP strong sabots(Green)in 40 and in 357 using Unique through WW 748. They become tame and have some accuracy out to 100 yds. Same principle as the Remmy Accelerator Ammo some years ago.
        Last edited by budster; 10 July 2014, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Daryl337
          Section Leader
          • Jun 2012

My uncle has a 45-70, I believe the rifle was a Winchester lever action.

I've only shot it once.

more kick than I was happy with... can't hardly see what you're hitting because you are focusing too much on not getting the crap kicked out of you.

Comment

• T44E4
            Sgt Major
            • Nov 2011

Back in the 60's I took in trade for a 300 Weatherby, a Jeffreys double rifle in 600 nitro express.
            Got 20 rounds of solids with it.
            Took it to the range to try, loaded two rounds in it.
            The thing was a monster in size and weight.
            Well I leaned into it and, bam! Was promptly put on my ass!!!
            Took me about a min. To find my glasses.
            Got up and leaned into it again.
            No matter what I did, I could not pull the trigger on the other barrel!
            Sold it about a month later.
            Worse than the 20mm Lahti I had.

Comment

• pitbulz21
              Platoon Sgt
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by wheres the bears
              Idiot! Sorry.
              sigpicWinning White Team Member 2015 Winter Solstice M1 Garand / AR15 Postal Shoot

Comment

• Daryl337
                Section Leader
                • Jun 2012

T44E4.. a friend of mine has a 500 nitro express side by side for hunting in Africa.

When he handed it to me and said the words "try the collar breaker" I handed it back with a "Nope"

Comment

• 4570govt
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2011

As my username suggests, I have some experience with the 45-70 Government round! For years I shot 45-70's chambered in Marlin 1895's, Ruger Number 1's, Browning High Walls, Winchester 1886's. All were fine rifles and shot well. A friend of mine and I experimented quite a bit with hard cast loads from 300 grains to 500, we know with out a doubt how potent this chambering is!

On a hog hunt in Pawnee, Oklahoma my friend shot an enormous sow between the eyes with a 400 grain hard cast round out of an 1895 Marlin, the round exited through the left ham! Never seen another round penetrate that far! Impressive to say the least!

I may just have to pick up another 45-70 one of these days, something like a Sharps Buffalo Rifle or another High Wall!
                  "Keep 'em in the 10 Ring!"

Comment

• SSD
                    Section Leader
                    • Nov 2011

IMO it would take being charged by a tiger or elephant (or Godzera) to make me consider capping off one of those artillery pieces. But a nice Marlin or Sharps in .45-70 might be doable. Always wanted a Sharps...
                    Regards, Jamie
                    NRA Life Member

Comment

• brassmagnet
                      Squad Leader
                      • Apr 2011

We had our 1895 out over the weekend, as well as a trapdoor and a 1876 clone in 45/75. I still maintain the Marlin is not shooter friendly after a refresher course. Standard loads in the Marlin are OK, but hopped up loads [done very easily with the 45/70 round] leave you wondering "what did I just shoot?"
                      Freedom Isn't Free
                      You Know Who To Thank

Comment

• Old PO2
                        Section Leader
                        • Mar 2011

The dumbest thing that I ever did was attempting to test fire a .470 Nitro Express, Purdy double rifle. The first two rounds, at a hundred yards, were in the ten ring, second two clipped the top of the target stand, the third two... I have no idea! It took me almost ten years to no longer flinch when I felt the trigger break!! In Mississippi, the .45/70 is legal during primitive weapons season, as long as it's a single shot rifle. I've shot my cousin's lightweight break action, I wouldn't recommend it for a long day at the range...

Comment

• dprice38444
                          FNG
                          • Mar 2014

f990 triple field is the pad you need for the 45/70
                          Machined from Solid Bar stock, Skinner Sights offers improved function, durability, and appearance over factory sights. Specializing in Peep Sights - Aperture sights. Check out our innovative and expanding sights, optics and accessories product lines.

http://www.grizzlycustom.com/parts_marlin.html rails

Comment

Working...