• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nf1e
    • Mar 2011

Re: Vietnam 1968 - The Battle of Dai Do

" Harlem Room"

"Soul Survivors"

If you were there , you would remember those characters. The ones with the combs in their hair. The Soul brothers. Waste to humanity, in my opinion. 110 deg and they always kept the storm shutters down.
    Sgt USMC
    RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

• 4570govt
      Administrator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by nf1e
      " Harlem Room"

"Soul Survivors"

If you were there , you would remember those characters. The ones with the combs in their hair. The Soul brothers. Waste to humanity, in my opinion. 110 deg and they always kept the storm shutters down.
      I've heard of that kind of garbage, I've wondered how they got away with that kind of crap back then.
      "Keep 'em in the 10 Ring!"

Comment

• nf1e
        • Mar 2011

If I remember correctly there were 4 or 5 on our base. They all grew beards " for medical reasons" and never participated in anything that I was aware of. They were the only draftees in our area. We were instructed not to make eye contact or have conversations with any of them. I remember seeing them give each other the straight arm with closed fist salute and shout out black power. I know it used to piss them off when no one payed attention to them or their antics. We could never figure out what their mos was supposed to be. They were not air wingers. We guessed they were lost dogs from infantry units that were finishing out their time in country with us to keep them from being killed by folks in their original units.
        Sgt USMC
        RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

• polish29
          Platoon Sgt
          • Apr 2011

I had no Idea that crap went on. During my 18 months in country, all in I Corps, I never saw anyone smoke marijuana or use any other type drug. We also didn't have many "brothers" or draftees in the unit. It was a big deal to us when someone got a bottle in the vill, or we got a beer ration. There were only a very few Marines that could not be counted on and one of them got shot sleeping on guard duty.
          The only Woodstock I saw in 1969 was on my M14

USMC 1965-1969 Sgt. Vietnam 1965-1967
          Maryland State Police 1969-1990, Cpl. (R)
          S.T.A.T.E. Team 1980 - 1989
          Hachi-Dan Order of Isshin-ryu Karate 1978 -

Comment

• nf1e
            • Mar 2011

With you on the no drugs, at least I didn't know about any. My time was also all in I Corps.
            Sgt USMC
            RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

• Vermin
              Sgt Major
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by VanHahner
              That's the last battle I fought in, before I was medevac out of country, I was with Echo Company 2/4 at Dai Do when I got hit.
              If you want to read the actual account, pick up the book "The Magnificent Bastards" by the historian Keith William Nolan.

I read that book. Van, I am happy You made it home!! That was a hell of a mash up!!!
              Feed the People, Keep Them entertained, and They will not CARE what the Goverment does.

Great Lakes Regional Coordinator
              Normally I don't talk to Obama supporters, but when I do, I ask for large fries with my order.

Comment

Working...