Dwight's Gunleather

Boney Elbows, Goodyear Waistline, Dude Double D's.......; )

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XUSNORDIE
    Machine Gunner
    • Apr 2017

Boney Elbows, Goodyear Waistline, Dude Double D's.......; )

For the current Postal Shoot (2017 Spring Lead Fling) I am thinking I may try to sling up into the M1A from prone. It will be a bit painful getting down. But once down and slung in I should be fairly good. Getting up will be a show for onlookers though....; )

I haven't fit into a shooting jacket since 1991...185lbs and in rock solid shape compared to today 270ish lbs and in a limping Jabba The Hut shape........the last "competition" I participated in was the 20 Shot Iron Man last year on "that other forum". That was from a carpeted bench. My elbows felt like stilts on ice....lol

I have decent shooting mat I used for long range Ground Grizz hunts. Which was fine on the elbows when on soft grass, dirt, tilled crop field, etc...but the prone stations at my range are the typical gravel. My mat is OK, but bare pointy elbows will still feel it.....I'm a Nancy Boy anymore I guess.

Anyone use or can recommend some elbow pads? I saw some by Condor that resemble tactical type but instead of hard plastic cups they have rubber. Or maybe it's as simple as going to Dicks and picking up some elbow pads for sports (like I wore years ago in Lacrosse/Football).

Suggestions?
    IYAOYAS!!!
  • nf1e
    • Mar 2011

Re: Boney Elbows, Goodyear Waistline, Dude Double D's.......; )

Originally posted by XUSNORDIE
    For the current Postal Shoot (2017 Spring Lead Fling) I am thinking I may try to sling up into the M1A from prone. It will be a bit painful getting down. But once down and slung in I should be fairly good. Getting up will be a show for onlookers though....; )

I haven't fit into a shooting jacket since 1991...185lbs and in rock solid shape compared to today 270ish lbs and in a limping Jabba The Hut shape........the last "competition" I participated in was the 20 Shot Iron Man last year on "that other forum". That was from a carpeted bench. My elbows felt like stilts on ice....lol

I have decent shooting mat I used for long range Ground Grizz hunts. Which was fine on the elbows when on soft grass, dirt, tilled crop field, etc...but the prone stations at my range are the typical gravel. My mat is OK, but bare pointy elbows will still feel it.....I'm a Nancy Boy anymore I guess.

Anyone use or can recommend some elbow pads? I saw some by Condor that resemble tactical type but instead of hard plastic cups they have rubber. Or maybe it's as simple as going to Dicks and picking up some elbow pads for sports (like I wore years ago in Lacrosse/Football).

Suggestions?
    I feel your pain. I have a 2x shooting jacket I use. Takes me awhile to get ready for the prone. I have a couple of ace bandages that I wrap my elbows in prior to making the climb down to the ground. Then I do my walrus imitation getting into position while making the sounds of a dying hyena. Want a good chuckle, you are invited to come up to CT and we can look foolish together.
    Getting up isn't that bad. Everything hurts so much by that time it is a relief to get vertical. Oh , the humanity of it all.
    Sgt USMC
    RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

• XUSNORDIE
      Machine Gunner
      • Apr 2017

That made me laugh Art!......but then reality sunk in....; )

Sounds like with the both of us on the firing line National Geographic could film a documentary on aging 2 legged War Horses......hope they have a good sound editor......; )

But as long as the rounds get down range and hit what we aim at it's all good......; )
      IYAOYAS!!!

Comment

• chief on one
        Platoon Sgt
        • Jan 2013

OK, Here is what I use; I got it off Amazon.com;; McDavid 6440 HEX Padded knee/shin/elbow sleeve. Another I just found that looks good for the elbows;;; https://www.braceshop.com/product/mu...ball-elbow-pad.

Comment

• XUSNORDIE
          Machine Gunner
          • Apr 2017

Saw those McDavids while surfing. Settled on a pair of Damascus Imperial Neoprone w/Non-Slip caps in multi-cam.....if I don't shoot good I want to look good......lol
          IYAOYAS!!!

Comment

• 4570govt
            • Mar 2011

I wear those cheapie black elbow pads from Walmart, everyday.
            "Keep 'em in the 10 Ring!"

Comment

• Hawk
              Owner / Administrator
              • Mar 2011

I've got a regular shooting mat the I got years ago. Never had an elbow problem with it having shot on uneven ground etc. I also have a couple of rifle cases that open into a shooting mat. Like youz guys, I have an exciting time getting down and legs won't allow me to get up by myself. I haven't tried shooting from my scooter as yet, but have been contemplating just that. Maybe next time I'm at Art's.
              Semper-Fi! Hawk
              Pfc USMC 3371 71-73
              3rd FSSR Okinawa 72-73

Life Member 3rd Mar Div Assoc.
              Life Member DAV
              Life Member World Warrior Alliance
              Life Member Shorinjiryu Shinzen Kyokai
              Life Member Peaceful Mountain Tanzan Ryu

Aim small.....Miss small!

Creator of the SparrowHawkM14 "Original" M14 Dummy Kit.TM
              Creator and former owner of the "Original" M14 Forum

Comment

• XUSNORDIE
                Machine Gunner
                • Apr 2017

I'm not quite there yet Hawk.......but maybe I should start considering how I will mount a Bog Pod to a scooter to get a jump on things......; )
                IYAOYAS!!!

Comment

• Hardheaded
                  Section Leader
                  • Dec 2016

Getting down is the easy part , I just quit standing and after my nose quits bleeding I can shoot
                  My Great Dane taught me how to do that
                  Getting back up is hard without a boom truck close by
                  I have not shot positions in a very long time , I hope this works out
                  I'm just going to double check nobody has a VCR camera in case it don't
                  If you see a fat bald guy going viral on u tube flopping around like a wounded wildebeest that would be me

Comment

• XUSNORDIE
                    Machine Gunner
                    • Apr 2017

No worries if they do have a VCR camera........nobody has used a VCR camera in years.....do they still sell VHS?.....; )

I'd be more worried of a smart phone........that captures all the dumb crap we do......; )

Trust me....my Boy will be with me.....and he will be recording o his phone.....no pressure....
                    IYAOYAS!!!

Comment

• Hardheaded
                      Section Leader
                      • Dec 2016

I found some orficial targets on fleabay
                      They sell the smaller patch targets too

Comment

Working...