Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits USATAC.com MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island Ra Parts smithenterprise.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Bill Ricca Machinegun Books

Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Perfect score on the reduced AQT

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Perfect score on the reduced AQT

Quote Originally Posted by Hytekrednek View Post
    wow. Nice job! I went to my first appleseed a month or so ago. I shot one my lrb T44E4 with iron sights on Saturday, and my custom 10/22 scoped on Sunday. I did about the same with them both, 195-208 range. So close that I could taste it. I took my brother, his first too, and he did qualify, 221 I think. It is not easy to shoot 210 for sure. You should frame that target and patch!
    I had trouble with using the sling. Adjusting it from one position to the next was tough and took to long. I need to practice before the next one I go to.
    Hytek, I recommend using a 1907 sling. I find that adjusting it for each position is a snap, much faster than using a web sling. Once you figure out which holes to set it for each position, then you're set for now on! Mark the holes or just remember. My slings were marked by the makers. I have some Les Tam slings and one from Ron Brown. Turner makes some good ones in leather and biothane.

Gulf Regional Coordinator

Winner 2011 Team M14 "Offhand Challenge" Rack Grade Category

Winning White Team Member 2015 Winter Solstice M1 Garand / AR15 Postal Shoot

"Keep up the fire"
    Motto of the U.S. 9th Infantry Regiment.

2. Likes pitbulz21 liked this post
    Designated Marksman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

so they will let you use a different sling than the gi web slings? I have some 1907 slings, I just need to practice with them.

4. Thanks 4570govt thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

so they will let you use a different sling than the gi web slings? I have some 1907 slings, I just need to practice with them.
    Yes, they will, 1907 style is the only type I use.

"Keep up the fire"

6. Thanks pitbulz21 thanked for this post
    Designated Marksman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks

What rifle did you shoot those nice scores and amazing 250 with? .22lr or 30 cal

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4570govt View Post

Sure enough, I shot a perfect 250! In the Appleseed world, a perfect 250 is very rare, very few nationwide have been shot, none for sure in Arkansas! Just thought I would share with you here in my internet home base!
    Congratulations well done! You will have to show us the patch when you get it ! Ain't never see one of those before !

I remember a boot shot a 250 and the range master made him shoot it over again, because he didn't believe it!
    His second attempt was a 246, or 247 I don't remember exactly, under the watchful eye of the range master .
    U.S.M.C. Scout Sniper 67-68

9. Thanks 4570govt, pitbulz21 thanked for this post
    Squad Leader
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

In honor of this and since 4570 is one of our members maybe we could keep this handy as a sticky? Since it is rare I'd hate for it to get lost. I've looked at it two or three times already(makes me smile every time) and think others may too. Just a thought....as long as it's ok with the 4570.

11. Thanks VanHahner, 4570govt, pitbulz21, Hytekrednek thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks

What rifle did you shoot those nice scores and amazing 250 with? .22lr or 30 cal
    The rifle was a .22 rimfire with a scope. When shooting the full Known Distance course, I shoot both M14's and AR's. I've shot perfect scores on the KD course too, but it doesn't seem to be quite as difficult as the reduced course, it doesn't get quite the attention in the program as does the "250" on the reduced AQT.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VanHahner View Post
    Congratulations well done! You will have to show us the patch when you get it ! Ain't never see one of those before !

I remember a boot shot a 250 and the range master made him shoot it over again, because he didn't believe it!
    His second attempt was a 246, or 247 I don't remember exactly, under the watchful eye of the range master .
    I know that was a noteworthy achievement!

What I have seen lately in the program concerning the Known Distance course, we are scoring targets with a "hits count" method. This means only hits in the 4 and 5 ring will count. 40 hits to qualify. This means, if you have hit at least 40 times in the black, it would at the very least be a 200 score. 50 hits for a perfect score.

At the discretion of the "Shoot Boss", the targets can be scored allowing the 3 ring to be counted as well, with a 200 still be the minimum for qualifying, which is still at the old Expert level. 247 and above is "Distinguished". There doesn't seem to be any advantage for the shooter to qualify with either method over the other.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
    In honor of this and since 4570 is one of our members maybe we could keep this handy as a sticky? Since it is rare I'd hate for it to get lost. I've looked at it two or three times already(makes me smile every time) and think others may too. Just a thought....as long as it's ok with the 4570.
    Thank you very much, very nice of you.

- - - Updated - - -

Van, here's the 250 tab over my Rifleman patch.
    Last edited by 4570govt; 18th March 2019 at 12:04 AM.

"Keep up the fire"

13. Thanks Wayne M, wrwindsor, pitbulz21, Siefly thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet !
    U.S.M.C. Scout Sniper 67-68

15. Thanks 4570govt thanked for this post
    Designated Marksman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

We were told nobody has scored a perfect 250 at an Appleseed event. I guess they meant that no one in Alabama has scored 250 on the reduced AQT. Not sure. Either way, you can shoot very VERY well!

I shot an iron sighted M14 on day 1, and a very nice scoped custom 10/22 on day 2. I thought I would do much better on day 2, having optics and no recoil. I was wrong. I got close to qualifying on day 1, 6 or 8 points away. Much to my surprise, it was nearly the same on day 2.
    It was very hot that day and I was sweating badly, getting in my eyes and such. If I could go to an event that is not inside of a oven, and practice with my sling on changing the settings for different positions, I think I could score a bit higher with less effort. It is a shame. They scheduled the event this year at the same time of year. Hopefully it wont be hot and humid like last year.

4570, You have inspired me. I will work harder. First goal: score rifleman Second: score 240
    Last goal: shoot a perfect score "yes, I know, not very likely, but I can try".

17. Thanks 4570govt thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

We were told nobody has scored a perfect 250 at an Appleseed event. I guess they meant that no one in Alabama has scored 250 on the reduced AQT. Not sure. Either way, you can shoot very VERY well!

I shot an iron sighted M14 on day 1, and a very nice scoped custom 10/22 on day 2. I thought I would do much better on day 2, having optics and no recoil. I was wrong. I got close to qualifying on day 1, 6 or 8 points away. Much to my surprise, it was nearly the same on day 2.
    It was very hot that day and I was sweating badly, getting in my eyes and such. If I could go to an event that is not inside of a oven, and practice with my sling on changing the settings for different positions, I think I could score a bit higher with less effort. It is a shame. They scheduled the event this year at the same time of year. Hopefully it wont be hot and humid like last year.

4570, You have inspired me. I will work harder. First goal: score rifleman Second: score 240
    Last goal: shoot a perfect score "yes, I know, not very likely, but I can try".
    What I have heard, there are five who have scored 250 in the time Appleseed has existed. One of them scored it twice, an ol' Marine Vietnam Veteran from New York! I've scored it one other time in practice. Lots of 248's and 249's too! That 250 is more elusive than what a mere few points might seem!

I think that you should practice on shooting AQT's without timing yourself, take as long as you want for good hits, when you got that down pat, start working on speed and magazine changes. Concentrate on the 400 stage, worth twice the points with five whole minutes! Also, work on your NPOA.

More good practice will get you over the hump, I know you can do it!

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I know you can shoot 240 and above with enough practice, it worked for me, I certainly don't have any natural skill!

"Keep up the fire"

19. Thanks VanHahner, Hytekrednek, Siefly thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast