X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4570govt
    Administrator
    • Mar 2011

DPMS Midlength Recon

I have another AR15 to display, yes, another Mouse Rifle! We M14 Riflemen can have little Mouse Rifles too, heck their fun to shoot! Light recoil, accurate and easy to train the young one's on! Plus ammo is relatively inexpensive.

I was in the local gun shop a few months ago, I eyed this DPMS Recon midlength carbine on the rack, like new, barely shot that I could tell. I traded for the rifle and just like that, I just put 'er away and basically forgot about her until recently.

The Recon has a heavy stainless 1/7 barrel, midlength quadrail handguard, magpul sights, came with a factory trigger, but I installed a Geissele SSA-E. I installed a cheapo Nikon Buckmaster scope with SWFA scope mount. Also has a bipod, never seen this type before, but worked rather well.

I shot this rifle at the Vets Shooting Center on 9 November 18, only after shooting an M14! Have to keep my priorities straight!

With a 100 zero, I dialed up to the closest steel target, which was 300 yards, then touched off a few. After turning my electronic hearing protection back on, I could hear the little 55 grain projectiles stinging that target! I shot thirty rounds into that steel, nary a miss. Then went to the 400, I fired twenty, ringing wasn't as clear as the M14 with her 7.62 rounds, but I could hear the tiny ping and see the paint blown off with each hit.

My take on this DPMS, I know they have a bad reputation with some folks, but this rifle seems very well put together, very solid with this heavy barrel, no malfunctions, extraction and ejection very good. Accuracy seems excellent as well, only shot on paper once at 100, cannot remember the group size, was sometime ago. I believe, for DPMS, this is one of their higher end models. I like it.
    "Keep 'em in the 10 Ring!"

• geardoc
    Squad Leader
    • Nov 2017

Re: DPMS Midlength Recon

Love it. Wished I'd waited a month and bought a DPMS or MEGA(with the ATOM engraving) lower than the one on my AR-308-T.

If I had, it would be worth a lot more than it is.

I had an offshoot of old DPMS in MN build my upper.

I'd like to buy a DPMS upper(flat side) and convert it for side charging. I've realized I'll never buy a Brownells AR-10 because I hate direct impingement with a passion. I'd like to have a side charging AR-308 though- that would save it. I just don't see ruining the upper on it(which has forward assist).

I very much like your DPMS. I don't think people really respected the quality of the cheaper DPMS offerings, they just focused on F-G

Comment

Working...