"Keep ‘em in the 10 ring"
Where shooters, collectors and enthusiasts congregate

Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.

The M14 Rifle Association The M14 Rifle Association section at M14BR.com
Click Left above for M14RA website - click right above for M14RA Shooting Events

Home of the M14 Rifle Association Discussion Forum
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl LRB Arms of Long Island smithenterprise.com buladefense.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca The M14 Rifle Association Dwight's Gunleather
Thanks Thanks:  103
Likes Likes:  74
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What knife did you buy this month?

Randall Made Knives has an extended delivery time. Your deposit will hold the next available production spot which is approximately a FIVE (5) to SIX (6) year wait.

...is that correct? The above is a statement directly from the Randall Knives website. A 5-6 YEAR wait time??????????
    "A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life."

Click on image above

Member M14 Rifle Association Board of Directors

2. Thanks wrwindsor, VanHahner thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a question, and no disrespect intended. Just curious...

Do you guys who buy those expensive knives actually carry and use them on a daily basis? I would be horrified to lose or break such an investment. For that reason I only carry and use my better knives on special occasions (hunting, etc) and on a daily basis carry my Chinese cheapos or small Buck/Kershaw folders. If I lose them I have spares.

4. Thanks wrwindsor, VanHahner thanked for this post
    Likes VanHahner liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Major USMC View Post
    Randall Made Knives has an extended delivery time. Your deposit will hold the next available production spot which is approximately a FIVE (5) to SIX (6) year wait.

...is that correct? The above is a statement directly from the Randall Knives website. A 5-6 YEAR wait time??????????
    That's true if you buy directly from the shop.

You can buy from an authorized dealer and "years" become "months" if they don't have it in stock. Most dealers charge the catalog (web site) prices, too.

Also, if you are about to deploy, you can call up the shop and order one of the combat knives and they'll put you at the front of the line, meaning you'll get your knife in less than a month. The options available under this program are limited so that they can get it to you in a timely manner.

Regarding the 5-6yr wait, I place an order every quarter (three months) with $50. That also locks in the price I'll pay. After the wait, the knives start showing up every quarter. During that 5-6yrs, the MSRP price has likely been bumped up a couple of times, inflation and all that. When your knife arrives, you bought it at "5-6yrs ago price" and you can sell it at today's price, making a little bit of profit.

Not many other knife brands are guaranteed to sell at MSRP.

Given the popularity of the brand, their other option would be to run the price up to "what it'll sell for." This is what most companies do, but that would price it out of the reach of your typical military member.

Click on image above

Member M14 Rifle Association Board Member

6. Thanks Iron Major USMC, VanHahner thanked for this post
    Likes Iron Major USMC, VanHahner liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sustinemus View Post
    I have a question, and no disrespect intended. Just curious...

Do you guys who buy those expensive knives actually carry and use them on a daily basis? I would be horrified to lose or break such an investment. For that reason I only carry and use my better knives on special occasions (hunting, etc) and on a daily basis carry my Chinese cheapos or small Buck/Kershaw folders. If I lose them I have spares.
    I carry and use mine (Randall 5-4") on a daily basis. A lot of guys that I know do much the same, maybe Randall or maybe a nice folder.

Related to your question, my everday watch is a $300+ Luminox.

Click on image above

Member M14 Rifle Association Board Member

8. Thanks Sustinemus, VanHahner thanked for this post
    Likes VanHahner liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

My watch is a Seiko Automatic dive watch that I have worn for almost 40 years. It was pricey then and pricey now, but at least it was tied to my wrist so I wouldn't lose it. ;)

I'm retired now and have no use for a watch, so it languishes awaiting the correct grandson to claim it. (The incorrect grandsons wouldn't need a watch. Watches are becoming obsolete.)

Interestingly though, I notice I have started to use my "good stuff" since I retired last year. It is becoming apparent that I will NOT live forever after all, so I may as well start enjoying what I intended to enjoy years ago when I started laying up my treasures.

I suppose if I had a Randall I'd start carrying it now.

10. Thanks wrwindsor, VanHahner thanked for this post
    Section Leader
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year I bought the shorter bladed knife from the very talented maker, Jerry Hossom of Georgia. He had sourced the end cut mammoth ivory here in San Antonio from a friend, Charles Turnage. I met up with Charles and picked the ivory he used to make the stocks on my Colt Government Model. So, the almost 6” bladed mammoth ivory scaled knife became available last month so I had to buy it! Now to have a custom sheath made for it!

85C4A574-5FCE-4957-8CB5-455C873853CA.jpg
    9DE8F17C-5491-4280-B377-1E588E87BAAD.jpg
    A53F4D89-D56B-4DA1-AF9D-492AD9B695AF.jpg

12. Thanks Sustinemus, Jim11B20 thanked for this post
    Likes Sustinemus, Jim11B20, polish29 liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Mammoth ivory?!

Ok, that's just plain cool! :) Very nice!

14. Thanks VanHahner thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice indeed!
    White Privilege Domestic Terrorist

Click on image above

16. Thanks VanHahner thanked for this post
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8