Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits USATAC.com MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island Ra Parts smithenterprise.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Bill Ricca Machinegun Books

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Springfield Match Guns

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Springfield Match Guns

We used to collect M1903 and 03-A3 rifles, bayonets and other accoutrements. Sold them off except for an unissued 03-A3. Then for some reason I started buying match rifles built on 03 and 03-A3 actions.

These photos were taken prior to a relocation just to prove what went on the moving truck rather than being staged (which I ought to do).

The top rifle is an 03-A4 action, barrel mfg unknown. The bottom is an 03-A3 action with an Obermeyer barrel. Both were polished and blued. Both are .308 caliber. Both have a headless cocking piece and aftermarket triggers. The main reason I bought the bottom rifle was it came with a 20X Redfield 3200 smallbore scope which now sits on my wife's smallbore F-class rifle.

003 RS 800X600.jpg

The top rifle is on an 03-A3 receiver, polished and blued with a Dayton Traister trigger and Lyman sight. It is .30/06. The bottom rifle is a Winchester Model 70 Target in .30/06.

004 RS 800X600.jpg

For me this post is a photo test. Can't figure out how to get them to come out full size. If you click on the small image it will come up full.
    “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)

2. Thanks 4570govt, pitbulz21, sergeant major thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Springfield Match Guns

Looking good and yes , image does expand with click.

4. Thanks NMC_EXP thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful rifles! I competed at 1000 yards a few times with a match conditioned 1903A3, after the match of shooting 30-06 loads of 175 SMK's you knew you had done some shooting!

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of stories in other threads, one of these matches was especially memorable for me. The man who was scoring for me and giving me tips at different times was an ol' retired Army Captain, his name is Boyd Goldsby. He was a very well known High Power competitor and Olympian at one time, had national championships under his belt for rifle and pistol, Olympic shooter, etc. Anyhow, when he spoke, I listened. I never missed the black with that 03A3, I don't remember the score, it was either a low Expert score or high Sharpshooter, but when he said to me that you handled that old rifle very well and shot a respectable score, that was about the same as winning to me!

Gulf Regional Coordinator

Winner 2011 Team M14 "Offhand Challenge" Rack Grade Category

Winning White Team Member 2015 Winter Solstice M1 Garand / AR15 Postal Shoot

"Keep up the fire"
    Motto of the U.S. 9th Infantry Regiment.

6. Thanks NMC_EXP, polish29 thanked for this post
    Likes sergeant major, NMC_EXP, renisin liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe I've seen your score keeps name here and there.

I've never shot a 1000 yd match. On my bucket list.

One of the rifles I most regret selling was a "poor man's match rifle". It was a WW2 M1903 in a 'C' stock with Lyman sights front and rear. I'd done some tweaks on it and got it shooting better. I'd bought a Model 70T .30/06 decided I could not afford both and sold it to a friend who gave it to his dad. His dad had seen me shooting it at a mid range prone match and fell in love with it. Last I heard the gent has shot a couple of 199's with it at 600.

That was a great looking rifle. If you ever shoot a M1903 in a C pistol grip stock you'll find its a whole different experience.

I regret not having any good photos of it - it was a fine looking rifle. Here are a couple. The action shot is my buddy trying it out before he bought it.

IMG_1577 RS 800x600.jpgIMG_1593 RS 800x600.jpg
    Last edited by NMC_EXP; 19th February 2019 at 08:16 PM.
    “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)

8. Thanks 4570govt thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
    I believe I've seen your score keeps name here and there.

I've never shot a 1000 yd match. On my bucket list.

One of the rifles I most regret selling was a "poor man's match rifle". It was a WW2 M1903 in a 'C' stock with Lyman sights front and rear. I'd done some tweaks on it and got it shooting better. I'd bought a Model 70T .30/06 decided I could not afford both and sold it to a friend who gave it to his dad. His dad had seen me shooting it at a mid range prone match and fell in love with it. Last I heard the gent has shot a couple of 199's with it at 600.

That was a great looking rifle. If you ever shoot a M1903 in a C pistol grip stock you'll find its a whole different experience.

I regret not having any good photos of it - it was a fine looking rifle. Here are a couple. The action shot is my buddy trying it out before he bought it.

IMG_1577 RS 800x600.jpgIMG_1593 RS 800x600.jpg
    That rifle, looks exactly like the one I had, I sold it a couple of years ago.....big mistake!

- - - Updated - - -

When I practiced for the 1000 yard match, I shot a 12 inch black at 300 to prepare myself, same sight picture as 1000. I decided, if I couldn't keep 'em all in the black, I wouldn't go to a match, unless I could! Harder than it sounds, but that ol' 1903A3 was up for the job, if I was!

Gulf Regional Coordinator

Winner 2011 Team M14 "Offhand Challenge" Rack Grade Category

Winning White Team Member 2015 Winter Solstice M1 Garand / AR15 Postal Shoot

"Keep up the fire"
    Motto of the U.S. 9th Infantry Regiment.

10. Thanks winerydale thanked for this post
    Likes NMC_EXP, winerydale liked this post