Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits USATAC.com MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island Ra Parts smithenterprise.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Bill Ricca Machinegun Books

Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Springfield but not an 03

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Springfield but not an 03

Springfield 30-40 Krag.

This time of year I get thinking of shooting more and more of the older weapons. This in one of my favorites.

2. Thanks 4570govt, sergeant major, polish29 thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Springfield but not an 03

That's a nice one, I saw a show last week about older US weapons, the Krag-Jorgensen was one of the rifles spoken highly of, mainly about how well made they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you ever heard this? From the time era of the Krag....."Under a starry flag, we civilized them, with a Krag!" Speaking of when we occupied all of the lands we took from Spain after the Spanish-American War.

Gulf Regional Coordinator

Winner 2011 Team M14 "Offhand Challenge" Rack Grade Category

Winning White Team Member 2015 Winter Solstice M1 Garand / AR15 Postal Shoot

"Keep up the fire"
    Motto of the U.S. 9th Infantry Regiment.

4. Thanks Siefly thanked for this post
    Likes sergeant major, chief on one liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Was this the rifle you went through "boot camp" with ???
    They really are a neat rifle, and a very unique side loading box magazine. I really should keep my eye out for a nice one. I don't have one in my collection...

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4570govt View Post
    That's a nice one, I saw a show last week about older US weapons, the Krag-Jorgensen was one of the rifles spoken highly of, mainly about how well made they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you ever heard this? From the time era of the Krag....."Under a starry flag, we civilized them, with a Krag!" Speaking of when we occupied all of the lands we took from Spain after the Spanish-American War.
    I hadn't John. Thanks for the post.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Was this the rifle you went through "boot camp" with ???
    They really are a neat rifle, and a very unique side loading box magazine. I really should keep my eye out for a nice one. I don't have one in my collection...
    Good one Chris. Sometimes I feel old enough to have. Especially when I hear some of the comments from the Boogie Woogie Google Boys of late.

This one came from the CMP a few years ago with they had " the last mail order release of bolt actions in inventory". I jumped in and put my request in for one of each offered and ended up getting service grade Krag, M1917, and a high number 03. When I made it in for one of each I bought a lotto ticket. Yep, out a buck for nothing.
    I have other Krags, but they are carbines.

7. Thanks 4570govt, Old Sarge, Siefly, polish29 thanked for this post
    Likes Old Sarge liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a fan of the Krag. It lives up to it's reputation as the smoothest bolt action.

In Norway and Denmark there is a rifle competition called Stangskyting. This is a timed fire event, duration 25 sec, as many shots as can be fired. Fired prone with a sling and iron sights. Civilians use the Sauer 200, Mausers and the Krag (5 shot mags). The top shooters can get 20 hits in 25 sec. They keep the thumb and index finger on the bolt handle and pull the trigger with the middle finger.

Those using the Krag use a speed loader for the side opening box mag.

Caliber 6.5x55 is used. That is an interesting caliber - low recoil but good performance. I've had an itch for a Swedish Mauser in 6.5mm for a while.

There are several youtube videos of the events. Electronic targets are used and you can watch the groups building on screen. Interesting to me that these matches are a popular spectator sport with large crowds cheering for their favorites.

“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)

9. Thanks nf1e, Siefly thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty interesting, especially the double hookup in the sling.

11. Likes NMC_EXP liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting videos, thanks.

Looks like the guy in the first video is using his ring finger.

I have a special place in my heart for the Krag action, I grew up shooting a 30-40 Krag that was sporterized for deer hunting. Last year I handed that same rifle to my uncle so that it would "stay in the family" as grandpa always wished -- I have no kids of my own and my brother is not interested.

13. Thanks Hawk, nf1e, Old Sarge thanked for this post
    Likes NMC_EXP, VanHahner, Old Sarge, Siefly liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

That sling technique is interesting. Looks especially useful if you have the forward support hand back away from the front swivel. That hand position can be a problem with the USGI slings in rapid fire. Without using the front sling swivel as a handstop the only way to keep the forward hand in place is to grip the forend hard and you end up muscling the rifle with the forward hand.
    “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)

15. Thanks nf1e thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I know the feeling. I have three daughters who all have no use for guns. Luckily Out of my seven grandkids, one grandson will get the pick of the litter when I head for guard duty at the pearly gates. The rest I'm sure my wife will sell, unless she gives them all to my grandson.
    Semper-Fi! Hawk
    USMC 71-73

Life Member 3rd Mar Div Assoc.
    Life Member DAV
    Life Member M14RA (President)

Sparrowhawkm14dotcom Home of Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits(TM) and more

17. Thanks nf1e, VanHahner, polish29 thanked for this post