Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits USATAC.com MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island Ra Parts smithenterprise.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Bill Ricca Machinegun Books

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Royal Navy Field Artillery Competition

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Royal Navy Field Artillery Competition

During the Boer War British infantry was trapped under seige. The Brit Navy removed some cannon from ships, installed them on improvised carriages and hauled them cross country to relieve the infantry.

To commemorate this the Brit Navy came up with a contest in which teams ran an obstacle course with antique field guns. This requires disassembling the guns to cross obstacles then reassembling them. This includes zip lining all the pieces including the 3/4 ton gun tube across a 28 ft wide space.

This thing is brutal. A lot of heavy, hard gear moving very fast with brute force. The contest was suspended in 1999. I suspect because it permanently disabled if not killed too many personnel. Seems the Brits are evolving away from being crazy....what a shame.

Below are links to videos and a wikipedia article.

https://youtu.be/HTBPn8oAxYA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_gun_competition
    “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Royal Navy Field Artillery Competition

I remember seeing footage of this sometime ago. I didn't understand the history behind it at the time.

Thanks.

3. Thanks VanHahner thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

The Royal Navy + field artillery concept was hard to figure until I read the history.
    “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)

5. Thanks 4570govt, VanHahner thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard corps crazy.
    You all can go to hell, I'm goin to Texas.
    Davie Crockett