Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits USATAC.com MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island Ra Parts smithenterprise.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Bill Ricca Machinegun Books

Thanks Thanks:  28
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trimming Auto Sear off M14 Trigger/Sear.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trimming Auto Sear off M14 Trigger/Sear.

My Cp disconnects from this site when I attempt to write a Thread, does so at random, sometime between 3 and 6 mins.. Giant PITA to lose the effort and time..

Don't know what your problem is but you could compose your post in WordPad, then cut and paste it into the forum edit screen all at once and save it.
    There were a lot worse places than Phu Bai and they weren't all in Viet Nam.

2. Thanks polish29, VanHahner, Hawk thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Your work is impeccable, nf1e however, I would just obtain an M1 Garand Trigger and Sear if it was me. These days I just dont have the time. Yet, your points are well taken, sir.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budster View Post
    Your work is impeccable, nf1e however, I would just obtain an M1 Garand Trigger and Sear if it was me. These days I just dont have the time. Yet, your points are well taken, sir.
    Did exactly that on a couple dozen of my M14 type rifles. Others used USGI kits from Orion,Dupage and CMP which came with good condition M14 trigger/sears. Very simple as I have a dremel cutoff wheel right at hand.

5. Thanks VanHahner, 4570govt thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

To me it wouldn't take that much more work in cutting off the wing than it does to change out the trigger. Why spend the money?
    Semper-Fi! Hawk
    USMC 71-73

Life Member 3rd Mar Div Assoc.
    Life Member DAV
    Life Member M14RA (President)

Sparrowhawkm14dotcom Home of Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits(TM) and more

7. Thanks VanHahner, nf1e thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep ! Piece of cake !

U.S.M.C. Scout Sniper 67-68

9. Thanks nf1e thanked for this post
    Machine Gunner
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

There was another mod to both the M1 and M14 that has been lost over time. The face of the sear was ground off 20 degrees front top to bottom, this allows a better match to the downward action of the hooks, preventing a double gouges to the sear face.. Still do mine this way, the sear lasts longer and the trigger pull stays even over an extended period of time.. The Comet

11. Thanks nf1e thanked for this post
    Likes VanHahner liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Comet View Post
    There was another mod to both the M1 and M14 that has been lost over time. The face of the sear was ground off 20 degrees front top to bottom, this allows a better match to the downward action of the hooks, preventing a double gouges to the sear face.. Still do mine this way, the sear lasts longer and the trigger pull stays even over an extended period of time.. The Comet
    Very good Art. Make good sense. I think ShootingSight has been doing exactly that to the face of the sear on their adjustable triggers.
    Do you have any idea what the original angle was supposed to be? I don't google.

13. Thanks VanHahner, 4570govt thanked for this post
    Machine Gunner
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it was 20 degrees, starting at the top edge of the sear, remove metal until the new surface meets the bottom edge of the sear.

One of the benefits to this is the sear is not driven back as far, putting less strain on the pins which in turn makes the pins last longer along with reducing the shock and the vibs that follow.. Any amount of metal removed is a plus, I think we settled on 12 degrees over time.. Don McCoy may have started this on the Navy Garands in the early 60's, or maybe the Dillahunt brothers, USMC, don't really remember.. Art l.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Comet View Post
    I think it was 20 degrees, starting at the top edge of the sear, remove metal until the new surface meets the bottom edge of the sear.

One of the benefits to this is the sear is not driven back as far, putting less strain on the pins which in turn makes the pins last longer along with reducing the shock and the vibs that follow.. Any amount of metal removed is a plus, I think we settled on 12 degrees over time.. Don McCoy may have started this on the Navy Garands in the early 60's, or maybe the Dillahunt brothers, USMC, don't really remember.. Art l.
    Good enough. Removing material from the face, I see, is a good thing. If I remember correctly, there is a position on my trigger jig that addresses the sear face. Will have to give it a try.
    Thanks for the info Art.

Machine Gunner
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are successful let me know, no longer having the proper equip. needed, I would like to impose on you to do a couple of sears for me... Art L.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast