X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NMC_EXP
    Platoon Sgt
    • May 2016

Luckiest Shot

The Eurasian collared dove is an invasive species that has spread all the way across the country. It's the size of a city pigeon and is light grey, almost white. I consider them bad neighbors, therefore varmints and let the air out of them with a Benjamin Sheridan .177 cal pump up air rifle with iron sights when the opportunity presents.

This afternoon stalked one near the house but when I raised the rifle it vamoosed. I happened to see where it landed in dead tree across a small valley from my place where it sat watching me. The rifle was pumped up with one in the chamber and the only way to unload it is to fire it. So I drew a bead on the bird, elevated the sights what I guessed was about 4 feet over it and touched it off.

Could hardly believe it when the bird dropped from the limb like a stone without so much as spreading it's wings.

Got my attention enough I trudged back to the house and brought the range finder back. Distance to the tree was 103 yards.

Either an extremely lucky shot or the critter died from laughing at me for trying a shot that long with an old school pump up air gun.
    “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)
  • VanHahner
    Command Sgt Major
    • May 2011

Re: Luckiest Shot

Nice shot !

SGT USMC 8541
    I CORPS 3rd MAR DIV
    RVN 67-68

Comment

• blkgunlvr
      First Shirt
      • Apr 2013

I'm giving you credit for the shot - well done! We have those invasive doves all over here in southeast Idaho.

Navy nuke submariner 70-76 M14BR Member
      NRA Life Benefactor, USPSA Life, NSCA Life, GOA, NAGR, FPC, etc.

Comment

• nf1e
        • Mar 2011

Excellent.
        You get the credit Sir.
        The air rifle did not do it on it's own.
        Sgt USMC
        RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

• budster
          Command Sgt Major
          • Jun 2012

I'd never have had a hit like that! Good for you!

Comment

• Tarheel Trooper
            Administrator
            • Apr 2011

A wise ole bumper sticker told me once,
            "IT'S THE INDIAN NOT THE ARROW"

Good shot suh!
            EVERY DAY IS LEG DAY, GET UP, GET OUT, AND LIFT HEAVY!!!

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
            NC C.C.H. Instructor

"The Artist Formally Known As Shadow"

Comment

• NMC_EXP
              Platoon Sgt
              • May 2016

Mighty kind of all you guys but seems to me to have more in common with winning the lottery than marksmanship.
              “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)

Comment

• VanHahner
                Command Sgt Major
                • May 2011

B.T.W. Do have some numbers for us ?

SGT USMC 8541
                I CORPS 3rd MAR DIV
                RVN 67-68

Comment

• NMC_EXP
                  Platoon Sgt
                  • May 2016

Now that you mention it I ought to buy a mega millions ticket....think it's up to $273M

Comment

Working...