Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits USATAC.com MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island Ra Parts smithenterprise.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Bill Ricca Machinegun Books

Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: LRB M14SA Standard

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

LRB M14SA Standard

On the spur of the moment, I loaded up my new to me LRB M14SA standard (enhanced), at least that's what I call it, some ammo and my new Redhawk and went to the Vets Shooting Center.

Once there, I immediately set up my gear and zero'd the rifle. I usually start at 25, was in the black with two rounds, so just went ahead and took it to 100. Dialed up four MOA and fired. Decent group for me and the USGI sights, just had to adjust windage and elevation a bit to be in the middle, so fired again, this was a well rounded group, so decided it was time for the Known Distance range!

Closest steel target on the KD range is at 300, so started with it. Fired, missed the first two, decided I better dial up some MOA, did so, then started hammering steel! Not many misses out of 20, the old USGI sights are too big for me! Then went to 400, hit it 8/10, not bad for barely seeing the sight and the target! Talk about eye strain!

This very light and handy M14 is excellent, I will be changing the rear aperture for a hooded NM style soon, should sharpen up that front sight for me, even just a little will help. I suppose I could mount a scope on it, but I think it will stay as is, with the exception of the NM rear sight. Should serve well out here in the country. Never know when the French & Indians might attack!

Gulf Regional Coordinator

Winner 2011 Team M14 "Offhand Challenge" Rack Grade Category

Winning White Team Member 2015 Winter Solstice M1 Garand / AR15 Postal Shoot

"Keep up the fire"
    Motto of the U.S. 9th Infantry Regiment.

2. Thanks nf1e, dave-2, wrwindsor, VanHahner, polish29, pitbulz21 thanked for this post
    Likes grateful patriot liked this post
    Rifleman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: LRB M14SA Standard

4570govt, remember Shooting Sight has reduced size apertures without hoods if you want to keep "the look"

4. Thanks VanHahner, polish29, 4570govt, nf1e thanked for this post
    Likes 4570govt liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grateful patriot View Post
    4570govt, remember Shooting Sight has reduced size apertures without hoods if you want to keep "the look"
    That's a good idea, I think I'll buy one, thanks!

"Keep up the fire"

6. Thanks nf1e thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

4570, had something similar happened a couple weeks ago. Running LC M80 out of my m1a, after checking my zero I pushed it out to 400 yards and shot low. Got a spotter help me get on target. Had to run my rear 1 click below the 500 mark on my rear on an 18x 34 steel target. Kinda wondering what the deal was. Ran that rifle out past 400 many times but never had that problem before.

8. Thanks 4570govt, nf1e, polish29 thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pitbulz21 View Post
    4570, had something similar happened a couple weeks ago. Running LC M80 out of my m1a, after checking my zero I pushed it out to 400 yards and shot low. Got a spotter help me get on target. Had to run my rear 1 click below the 500 mark on my rear on an 18x 34 steel target. Kinda wondering what the deal was. Ran that rifle out past 400 many times but never had that problem before.
    I just can't see the sights well anymore, at least not for very long! I have no problems with my scoped rifles.

"Keep up the fire"

10. Thanks nf1e, pitbulz21 thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pitbulz21 View Post
    Makes me wonder if the POI is ammo related??? Maybe different lots of ammo are different enough to affect the POI? A few years ago I was at the range shooting one of my M14's and a couple of different loads, nice tight groups in the center of the bull. Then I fired some old WCC M80 ball ammo from the early 1960's and it shot horrible. The group was more like a shotgun pattern, and center of group was about 10" low and left !!!

12. Thanks pitbulz21 thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Makes me wonder if the POI is ammo related??? Maybe different lots of ammo are different enough to affect the POI? A few years ago I was at the range shooting one of my M14's and a couple of different loads, nice tight groups in the center of the bull. Then I fired some old WCC M80 ball ammo from the early 1960's and it shot horrible. The group was more like a shotgun pattern, and center of group was about 10" low and left !!!
    No doubt different ammo can effect trajectory and accuracy. I have some of that WCC M80 from the same time era, not accurate at all in my rifles! ZQ1 seems under powered past 300 compared to South African. Malaysian ammo that was here in the last couple of years is under powered too! My favorite surplus, for good accuracy and plenty of velocity has been South African. Consistent with Federal M80. Hirtenberger, Radway Green, excellent too.

"Keep up the fire"

14. Thanks nf1e, polish29, pitbulz21 thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

You want to see how bad your rifle can shoot, try some Indian Military Surplus.
    U.S.M.C. Scout Sniper 67-68

16. Thanks nf1e, pitbulz21 thanked for this post
    Likes 4570govt liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VanHahner View Post
    You want to see how bad your rifle can shoot, try some Indian Military Surplus.
    No, thanks!

"Keep up the fire"

18. Thanks nf1e thanked for this post
    Likes VanHahner liked this post