Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits USATAC.com MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island Ra Parts smithenterprise.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Bill Ricca Machinegun Books

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: States

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

States

Pending in Florida: A group called Florida Carry filed a lawsuit Monday against the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE), alleging the agency is slow-walking gun background checks.The gun-rights group is accusing the FDLE of delaying some gun pre-purchase background checks, which state law requires be performed within 24 “working hours” (defined in the law as the hours between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.), or three days, beginning March 2018. Some applicants have been forced to wait for up to seven months, according to Eric Friday, the group’s attorney, in an interview with Fox35. “Somehow FDLE has gotten the idea that that three-day background requirement no longer applies to them, and that they can just ignore it and ignore it indefinitely with no time limit,” he said... The gun group claims the FDLE started using the “pending” status for background checks more after the Parkland bill passed in March 2018, raising the minimum age to purchase firearms to 21, creating a waiting period to purchase guns and permitting some school employees to carry guns... The FDLE has not issued any response to Florida Carry’s lawsuit, and did not immediately return TheDCNF’s request for comment... (Actually, Florida already imposed a three-day waiting period for handgun purchasers who don't hold a CWFL and extended it to long guns in the so-called Parkland bill.)

https://dailycaller.com/2019/05/14/f...aiting-period/

--

Life in NYC: A businessman described by prosecutors as the “gravitational center” of a conspiracy to bribe New York police officers in one of the worst scandals to hit the department in recent decades was sentenced to four years in prison Monday. Jeremy Reichberg, 45, was also fined $50,000 for a nearly decadelong effort in which he and another businessman persuaded police officials and others to respond to their needs, whether it was deploying cars, boats and helicopters for their benefit or providing gun licenses expeditiously... (Arbitrary denial of carry permits tends to foster corruption.
    When Sherman Block was sheriff of L.A. County, ordinary people who qualified for permits under the very stringent rules “learned” that donating to the sheriff's re-election campaign was the best means to qualify for renewal.)

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...olice-corrupt/

--

A Reprieve in Oregon: Today [Monday] all Republican Senators except Jackie Winters returned to the Senate Floor. As you know, Republican Senator Tim Knopp had been joining the Democrats while the rest of the Republicans walked out to protest several very dangerous bills. (Oddly NRA reported that Knopp and Democrat Senator Betsy Johnson had joined the walk out. That was not true.) Winters was excused, no doubt for medical reasons... The good news is that in exchange for agreeing to return for this vote, the Senate President, Peter Courtney, agreed to kill two bills. One of which was SB 978, the omnibus anti-gun bill. Your activism is the reason for this. Good job to all of you who worked so hard. But don’t start celebrating just yet. Anti-rights zealot Senator Ginny Burdick promised that gun grabbing bills would fail “over my dead body” and the last time we checked Burdick was still with us. Rest assured she will be doing everything she can to revive at least some of the onerous elements of SB 978. But at least for now it appears your hard work paid off...

https://www.oregonfirearms.org/repub...fiscation-dead

--

A Close Call: One man remains in the hospital after a shooting Saturday night. Montavious Adaway is in “serious” condition according to a Phoebe spokeswoman, after he was shot in the groin area. The Albany [GA] Police Department is investigating a shooting that happened outside of Charley B’s nightclub on the 2400 block of Dawson Road, around 3:50 a.m. According to police, a witness reported that a black male was getting beat up, a gunshot was fired then the crowd ran away. A witness told police another male victim was outside the club talking to a woman when a man started disrespecting the woman. From that point, that’s when the fight broke out and a group of men started stomping on the victim’s head, according to police. When the witness intervened, the men attacked him and as a result, he fired a shot which hit Adaway. Two others involved, Quinton Carnegie and Dwayne Roberts were treated and released from the hospital... (I'm surprised that the victim waited until he was getting stomped in the head before shooting. He sounds lucky not to have suffered permanent injury. It's unclear whether he was one of the “two others involved” who were treated and released. This sounds as though it may have been a case of doing stupid things with stupid people in stupid places.)

https://www.walb.com/2019/05/12/alba...club-shooting/

--

Oops, Wrong House: A Grand Prairie [TX] resident fatally shot a man as he broke into a home early Monday, police said. Police responded to a report of a home invasion in the 2000 block of Plains Court, near State Highway 161 and Mayfield Road, around 1:15 a.m. The homeowner had grabbed a gun and shot the robber as he forced his way into the home, police said. The robber fled in a vehicle before police arrived. A few minutes later, the robber – identified as 20-year-old Rayme Castilleja – was dropped off at a Grand Prairie hospital, suffering from a gunshot wound, police said. He was later pronounced dead. No charges have been filed against the homeowner, whose identity was not released. When the investigation is complete, police will refer the case to a grand jury. (Such grand jury referrals are routine in Texas and do not imply that investigators believe that the shooting was unjustified.)

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...ion-police-say

--

Oops, Wrong Smoke Shop: Police are investigating a deadly shooting inside a smoke shop in east Columbus [OH]. Officers were dispatched to Outlet Smoke Shop Plus in McNaughten Centre around 1 a.m. Tuesday on a report of a shooting. When officers arrived, they found 24-year-old Oscar Louis Morgan Jr. suffering from an apparent gunshot wound. Morgan was pronounced dead at the scene by medics at 1:08 a.m. Police say an initial investigation revealed that Morgan was reportedly intoxicated and engaged in physical altercations with both customers and employees prior to the shooting. According to police, witness accounts suggest that Morgan escalated the confrontations to the point where one of the employees felt the need to fire a weapon at Morgan, fatally striking him. Homicide detectives are reviewing surveillance video from the scene. No charges have been filed... (I hadn't realized that smoke shops kept such late hours.)

https://www.10tv.com/article/police-...-shop-2019-may

--

The “Confidence Gap” and Training Women: ...Strength coach Tony Gentilcore commented on essentially the same phenomenon in his article Some Thoughts on Training Women. In that article, he makes the following point that may partially help to explain the “confidence gap.” Men tend to be more Temporal Comparative, where they compete or compare against themselves. Men tend to be more Temporal Comparative, where they compete or compare against themselves.

What did I deadlift last week?

What did I squat last week?

How much do I weigh now compared to last month?

...Conversely, women tend to be more Societal Comparative, and compare themselves to other women.

She’s doing “x” amount of weight on the bench press, how come I’m not doing that much?

She has an amazing back. Why doesn’t mine look that way?

I can’t believe she’s wearing that to the gym. What a ho! …

(In my last years of teaching, each of my students was give a 3x5” spiral notebook and asked to write down the key points about the skills he had just learned on the following break. This was to serve the dual purpose of memory consolidation and providing a future reference. Over the past months, I've had the joy of coaching a female friend who's honing her skills with handguns. While I have had her take notes on breaks, it had not occurred to me to have her save her earlier targets with the poorer results. I will now ask her to do so so that she can chart her improvement over time.)

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...es-to-training

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: States

I learned a long time ago only bad things happen after 2am. You only ask for trouble hanging around a bar at that time.
    You all can go to hell, I'm goin to Texas.
    Davie Crockett

3. Likes VanHahner, polish29 liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    I learned a long time ago only bad things happen after 2am. You only ask for trouble hanging around a bar at that time.
    .. or riding a motorcycle between 1a and 3a -- "squishy time."

5. Thanks VanHahner, polish29 thanked for this post
    Designated Marksman SimpleCountryActuary's Avatar
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

If I had know that about L.A. Sheriff Block I might have contributed :-)

The current Sheriff, Villanueva, has hinted he will be loosening up the CCW process. We'll see. He's having political tussles with the LA power structure and maybe he'll provide more CCWs just out of spite.

Best!
    "The most hated initials in America today ... TSA."

Said by yours truly to an audience of nodding IRS employees.

7. Thanks polish29 thanked for this post