Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits USATAC.com MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island Ra Parts smithenterprise.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Bill Ricca Machinegun Books

Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My 1st M14 Build, Lord help me

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My 1st M14 Build, Lord help me

Quote Originally Posted by mycanoe44 View Post
    I was wondering about the width of the op rod rail interfereing with the long connector rod.
    JRA/Bula receivers do not have a wide op rod rail. I have done builds with 5 USGI heeled receivers similar to yours and they work perfectly.

2. Thanks 4570govt thanked for this post
    FNG
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered my Hawk's Ambi dummy kit. I wasn't paying attention and missed the end of May sale. Oh well, no big deal.

I'm excited to move forward on this build. Barreled receiver from JRA will arrive Tuesday, but I'm leaving on a week long fishing trip early that morning. 640 rd ammo can of GGG 7.62 will arrive Wednesday. My wife will have to sign for both she is not a fan of this milsurp addiction of mine.

The owner of JRA called me to tell me it was done and that the bolt I sent him headspaced okay. It did not close completely on the field gauge. He assured me it would be fine, but to only shoot surplus ammo in it and recommended the GGG stuff. He's really a great guy and the couple times we have talked, we end up BSing for awhile on the phone.
    "I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be 'happy'. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be honorable, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter, to count, to stand for something, to have it make some difference that you lived at all." LEO ROSTEN

4. Thanks nf1e, polish29 thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I am looking forward to seeing your rifle too!
    Regards, Jamie
    NRA Life Member

FNG
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I haven't updated in awhile. Lots going on and this project got put on the back burner. So here goes:

Got the barreled receiver back from JRA and at first glance it looked good. Everything went into the safe for awhile until the other day when I started assembling the rifle. Had to watch a couple videos to get everything together. With all the new park and new stock everything was extremely tight, had to VERY firmly tap receiver and trigger group into the stock. Definitely need a mallet to get the TG closed. Gas cylinder lock ended up at 11:00 so I ordered a shim kit, gas lock wrench and castle nut pliers. Also ordered a new valve spring as the original got lost somewhere along the way, threw in a new op rod spring also. The trigger is very nice on this rifle, no polishing required. I also received my Hawk kit and getting that fitted and installed is my next project.

Now for the not so good news:

In assembling and fitting the stock and B/R several times I was mainly looking at the underside of the receiver where you can see the welds, but they don't interfere and it looks fine. But when I was installing the rear sight assembly, I noticed some cosmetic flaws on the heel right below the sight base that are kind of bothering me, it's also a little rough looking on the op rod side. I know that JRA has a new welder, but I'm a garage welder myself and am questioning the QC a little on this one. I will try to get some good pics posted here and you guys tell me if I'm crazy or not. It's a lot of $ for this receiver, so that's what's bothering me.

Give me a little time to get the pics up as I'm buried at work and other projects.
    "I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be 'happy'. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be honorable, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter, to count, to stand for something, to have it make some difference that you lived at all." LEO ROSTEN

7. Thanks Tarheel Trooper, nf1e, polish29 thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a couple of questions. When you say the receiver fit tight and needed a mallet for installation, did you fit the stock liner to the receiver first with it removed from the stock?
    Next, what the heck is a valve spring on an M14? I am guessing the spring on the gas cylinder shut off.
    Lastly, if you look closely enough to any receiver you can find imperfections. The trick is to focus on the parts that you approve of.
    I can detect slight weld spatter on a couple of mine in the location you mention but what the hey, they are welded on heels.
    Much more interesting will be the finished product's function and range report.
    Happy Daze.

FNG
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Just a couple of questions. When you say the receiver fit tight and needed a mallet for installation, did you fit the stock liner to the receiver first with it removed from the stock?
    Next, what the heck is a valve spring on an M14? I am guessing the spring on the gas cylinder shut off.
    Lastly, if you look closely enough to any receiver you can find imperfections. The trick is to focus on the parts that you approve of.
    I can detect slight weld spatter on a couple of mine in the location you mention but what the hey, they are welded on heels.
    Much more interesting will be the finished product's function and range report.
    Happy Daze.
    I did not remove the stock liner.
    Yes, the Spindle valve spring

- - - Updated - - -

Here's some pics of the heel weld area. I didn't include any pics of the inside as that doesn't matter to me as long as function is ok. Let me know what you guys think of the looks of the finished product.

Top of the heel. This is what I notice the most as it's right there.

The windage marks are really hard to see.

The op rod side has some pretty visible porosity.

The other side is perfect.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree that it should have been done neater. Looks like whoever finished the weld area was in a rush and got a little carried away with the grinder. Either that or when the cut the Bula heel off they hit the windage area with the cut off wheel.
    Was that your heel they used or was it supplied by James River?
    I would send those photos to Mark and ask for his suggestions. Some how, I bet he has already seen the poor job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2