Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits USATAC.com MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island Ra Parts smithenterprise.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Bill Ricca Machinegun Books

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: National

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

National

Trump Leaves Us Guessing – Again: President Trump renewed his call for “meaningful background checks” for gun purchases on Tuesday, but suggested Democrats could be the hurdle to getting any bill done. “I don’t know frankly that the Democrats will get us there,” the president told reporters. Mr. Trump has braved criticism from within conservative circles to repeatedly say he wants to see some action on background checks in the wake of two mass shootings earlier this month. Democrats already pushed a background check bill through the House this year, but it cleared on a near-party line vote, giving it dim prospects in the Senate. A key Republican senator has said he would try to strike a deal on a bill that could gain support in the Senate, but party leaders have not been publicly encouraging of that effort. Mr. Trump said he had a “good conversation” with Sen. Chris Murphy, a Connecticut Democrat and prominent gun-control advocate who’d been begging the president to take leadership on the issue. Mr. Trump did not expand on his statement that Democrats may be the hurdle to passing a bill, but defended his own willingness to take action even in defiance of some Republicans. “I would like to see meaningful background checks,” he said. “There’s nobody more pro-Second Amendment than Donald Trump, but I don’t want guns in the hands of a lunatic or a maniac. I think if we did proper background checks you could prevent that.” (I lack the ability to read the president's mind. I neither know what “meaningful” background checks are nor how they could prevent firearm-related crime. I can only hope that this is some sort of poison-pill proposition to keep House Donks from approving Trump's version.)

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...cks-says-demo/

Speaking of Which: Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer plans to ask the Trump administration to divert a $5 billion wall funding allocation to programs aimed at ending gun violence and “violent white supremacist extremism.” A Democratic source told the Washington Examiner the New York Democrat plans to make the formal request “soon” and to increase pressure on the Trump administration to take action following three recent mass shootings... According to the source, Schumer will call for the $5 billion in wall money to be redirected to the Homeland Security Department’s counter-violent extremism programs, the FBI's domestic terrorism investigations, and gun violence research by the Centers for Disease Control... (For some reason, I get the feeling that the Donks would prefer to leave the “gun violence” issue smoldering so that they can use it to help mobilize their base in the 2020 election.)

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...hite-supremacy

A number of Democrats on Tuesday briefly returned to Washington in the midst of their six-week recess to ramp up pressure on Senate Republicans to consider a bill the lower chamber passed on universal background checks for gun buyers after recent deadly mass shootings. During a Tuesday press conference led by House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer of Maryland, rank-and-file Democrats and gun control activists called on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky to take up a bill the House passed in February that requires background checks for all firearm sales, including private transactions. Current federal law only mandates background checks for purchases from licensed gun dealers... Democrats have also addressed the fear among Latinos and other minorities in America with the rise of hate crimes, domestic terrorism and white nationalism. The accused El Paso shooter told authorities that he was targeting Mexicans when he allegedly opened fire at a Walmart and killed 22 people in the border city... (See the report, under State Issues, about the surge in Hispanics in El Paso preparing to apply for carry licenses.)

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...un-legislation

--

A Reminder About Those Background Checks: ...The Bureau of Justice Statistics last released a full annual report on NICS in 2010. (The Obama administration stopped releasing annual reports after that year.) The report revealed that 72,659 individuals had been denied because of NICS. Of that number, just 44 individuals had faced federal prosecutions, and just 13 were convicted. The reason is simple. All of the information you must provide – on a so-called 4473 form – is not used to properly check the purchaser. Instead of using a person’s exact name, the government looks for phonetically similar names. Using roughly phonetically-similar names and birthdates does not make a reliable system. Over the years, these “false positives” have added up to several million people. That is several million people who were denied their basic human right of self-defense. While in theory it is possible to appeal these decisions yourself, most people have to hire a lawyer. It costs thousands of dollars to pay an attorney to try and have the mistake cleared up, and the process can take many months. Not everyone has the luxury of that kind of money or time. The person threatening your life will not patiently wait for you to get this mistake fixed before they choose to attack you. If a private sector employer used the same standards when running a background check on a potential employee, the public would be outraged. Imagine applying for a job you are qualified for and going through the interview process successfully only to lose the job because your name is similar to that of a felon...

https://dailycaller.com/2019/08/13/g...al-background/

--

Smoldering in the NRA: Julie Golob, a professional sport shooter and a strong public advocate for gun rights, announced Monday she was resigning from the National Rifle Association board before the end of her three-year term. She is the fourth member in the past two weeks to leave the board of the NRA in a sign of further upheaval within the nation’s most powerful gun rights group. Golob, a regular on shooting shows who has won multiple competitions and is an advocate for women’s use of firearms, did not state a reason for her departure in a note posted on her website. “I am proud to have had the opportunity to represent the members of the NRA but I can no longer commit to fulfilling the duties of a director,” she wrote. Golob was a well-known personality in the gun rights world and produced videos for the NRA with titles such as “Helping Women Choose a Gun.” ...She pledged to continue to support NRA “programs and sports” and to continue to advocate for “the preservation of freedom.” … (Golob was recently given a “C” grade for her performance as a director by David Dell'Aquila, for “Insufficient oversight/direction to CEO LaPierre.” Her motive for resigning from the board, at this time, is unclear. Meanwhile, Dell'Aquila is under attack from C-rated Bob Barr for having written letters to the AG's of New York and DC, encouraging them to continue their investigations of malfeasance at the top of NRA's pyramid. Recall that Dell'Aquila first went public by going to Wa Po. He vehemently denies collusion with Bloomberg.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...f9c_story.html

--

Just for Perspective: Recently, the New York Post ran a single page with the name of every person killed in a mass shooting since 1964 when Charles Whitman began firing from the top of a clock tower at the University of Texas... Someone else did something different. They [sic] recognized something important. “The 30 year average for deaths by lightning strikes in the United States? 43 per year. That’s 2,236 deaths over the same time period...” So, I [Tom Knighton] did a little digging. Sure enough, the 30-year average for lightning fatalities is, indeed, 43 per year. That’s more than the number of people killed in mass shootings... (In fact, Knighton's link to the PDF from the National Weather Service shows the 30-year averages for deaths from floods at 87 from tornadoes at 69, from hurricanes at 46, and from heat at 136.)

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/0...mass-shooting/

--

Speaking of Suicides: Before George Quinn wrapped a chain around the rafters of his wood shop and hanged himself in June, he texted his big sister goodbye. “This is the hardest part,” wrote the reclusive 63-year-old master carpenter, who lived alone with his elderly cat, Sam, in this Northern California mountain town. “Sorry for everything. You should call the Plumas Co sheriff and have them go to the garage.” Carol Quinn dialed law enforcement from her home near Reno, more than an hour away, desperate for them to save her brother’s life. The answer she received was startling: Deputies were no longer responding to calls like hers, because the situation could end as a “suicide by cop.” “Go to the garage” could be a hint at an ambush, a deputy told her. She would have to try to reach her brother on her own... (Sad as it may be, people have many more ways to end their lives than with their own guns.)

https://www.policeone.com/mental-hea...to-some-calls/

--

Today In History: Born, in 1860, Phoebe Anne Moses, later known as Annie Oakley, a sharpshooter and entertainer. (Imagine today if shooting were a major spectator event yet shooting is considered the first American spectator sport, dating back into Colonial days.)

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: National

Does he want to lose his seat?

How about the NICS system that we already have. Wanna stop this crap it’s easy..
    1. Mental health, people are crazy and they are over medicated
    2. Enforcement of the laws that we already have in place, there is enough already
    3. Elimination of the GunFree Zones, they don’t work. Every mass shooting has been in a GF Zone. Even the Auroa shooter specifically targeted the theater that he did because it was gun free. Another one he skipped because he said he knew there was concealed carry allowed there.
    4. Make the media quit making Martyrs out of the shooters, and stop politiicing (so)

But damn I feel like I’m talking to myself...
    On my honor,
    I will never betray my badge,
    my integrity, my character,
    or the public trust.
    I will always have
    the courage to hold myself
    and others accountable for our actions.
    I will always uphold the constitution,
    my community, and the agency I serve.

Regional Coordinator - Southeast Region
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NC C.C.H. Instructor

"The Artist Formally Known As Shadow"

3. Thanks dave-2, 4570govt, pitbulz21, SimpleCountryActuary thanked for this post
    Likes VanHahner, pitbulz21 liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with ya bud !
    U.S.M.C. Scout Sniper 67-68

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Trooper View Post
    Does he want to lose his seat?

How about the NICS system that we already have. Wanna stop this crap it’s easy..
    1. Mental health, people are crazy and they are over medicated
    2. Enforcement of the laws that we already have in place, there is enough already
    3. Elimination of the GunFree Zones, they don’t work. Every mass shooting has been in a GF Zone. Even the Auroa shooter specifically targeted the theater that he did because it was gun free. Another one he skipped because he said he knew there was concealed carry allowed there.
    4. Make the media quit making Martyrs out of the shooters, and stop politiicing (so)

But damn I feel like I’m talking to myself...
    It’s so simple it makes you wonder (realize) what the government is really up to. The laws are already on the books, but the ball is usually dropped by by local authorities. I believe Trump will loose this election and the senate will change hands, too many people are just tired of the runaround from the republicans.
    Winning White Team Member 2015 Winter Solstice M1 Garand / AR15 Postal Shoot