Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits USATAC.com MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island Ra Parts smithenterprise.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Bill Ricca Machinegun Books

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Finished - M40 Remington SSA Replica Project

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Finished - M40 Remington SSA Replica Project

Hawk, thought you might enjoy this as you went down this road too:

I thought you might enjoy some details of the M40 Replica Project I just completed [with help from many]. Before I start -> this is a "M40 Replica" some of the details are not exactly right, but they were acceptable to me and you always have a cost benefit analysis you have to do when you take on a project like this one [it will always be a Replica].

This project started almost one year ago when I made a comment on another forum that I wanted to have a M40 clone in my collection someday. I really wanted some of the well known weapons from the Vietnam area and at a minimum wanted [several clone versions of the M14; then the M16A1 and M40]. I know other key weapons were used but I really wanted these three in my collection. I was approached by one of the forum members here on our forum to take-over a M40 project that was really far along, but the owner decided he wanted to direct resources another way and we began to talk. After a lot of communications with the owner of the project and many of my other "Friends" here on the forum [that like to help me spend money] they encouraged me to move forward and take over the project which I did and I am glad! The forum member that originally had this project did A LOT of work and is very knowledgeable when discussing the M40. I will leave the original M14 forum members name out of my thread for respect , but he can chime in later in the thread if he wants.

Here is a teaser pic to hold your interest.......

Below find some of the build details:

* Complete (barreled) Action and Bottom Metal:
    * Remington SSA SN# LTD ED action
    USMC Clip-slotted and U.S. Stamped receiver
    Squared & trued (by Master Gunsmith) - Mag box, Spring, Follower and Bottom metal

* Barrel - Shilen Target Barrel Blank - (trued, threaded & installed by Master Gunsmith)
    * Remington Varmit (Sendero) Profile - 1:10 Twist - M852 Custom Match/Target .308 Chamber
    * M40 proper barrel length & Recessed Target Crown (for target work)
    * Proper Recoil Lug
    * Bolt has been re-fitted with an Original/Early short bolt shroud (a/k/a Bolt Plug)
    * Has been re-fitted with Original Remington early tombstone safety & Original early trigger group
    * Has fully mounted Badger Ordinance precision steel M40-40X scope mount/rings - Receiver & mount was drilled and tapped for larger 8X40 screws (for target work)

* Stock Related - Taylor Precision Engineering M40 stock - Unfinished
    * Inletting & barrel channel are CNC drop-in quality
    * Original Remington 1-1/4 inch sling swivel set
    * Original Remington Buttplate
    * Original Remington Buttplate Screws

* USGI Cotton Sling - a NEW in Wrap - NOS MRT stamped 1966 sling - a big thanks to LEAD Guy for letting one of his beautiful slings go for this project!
    * Original Remington LTD ED M40 box with the SSA special graphics

*Scope - Original Redfield Scope 3X - 9X Gen,-1 with Accu-Range reticle (with ranging scale and stadia lines/wires) in commercial gloss black finish. I am keeping this scope in reserve if Toki decides to do more scope anodizing or if I can find another good source. I was not able to find an acceptable lead to properly anodize the scope.
    *The Scope Shown on the Rilfe - is also an original Redfield 3X - 9X Gen - 1 with Accu-Range reticle (with ranging scale and stadia lines/wires). Many of the "original M40" scopes have multiple colors as the anodizing take on different colors from the exposure to light and time. I did not want to put a black glossy scope on this rifle, so I decided to take a chance and experiment with my extra Redfield Scope. I took the scope down to the bare finish and first used a new Duracoat product called Duradize. This product emulated the anodizing process so I did the entire scope with OD Green. Next after looking at many scopes I used Duracoat aged bronze to change the color of some pieces of the scope which turns bronze / light brown over time. I did all of the work with my airbrush and decided I would go with this scope until I can get my other one anodized. I know it is not anodized and aged and it is not perfect for sure, but I went outside the box [as I often do] to see what I could do and met my objective of not having a black scope.

* Stock Finishing - once I got the rifle back from being pillar bedded I did my M1Army thing to the beautiful chunk of Walnut that came from Taylor Precision Engineering. I mixed up my custom mix of Stew Mac stain to give the walnut a nice uniform color and finished the stock using my method(s). I love the look and feel of the stock and the entire rifle for that matter.

Outside Help / Gunsmith - I sent the rifle off to Raven Rifles [Mark Williams] to do the pillar bedding and to coordinate the final metal finishes for the M40 etc. He did a great job and was easy to work with!

Vietnam Era Gear - I laid out some of the Vietnam ear gear I have acquired over the years and included it in the pictures. I am not suggesting this would be the correct gear necessarily for a soldier carrying a M40, but I just wanted to share some of the gear I have acquired over time. I forgot my bayonet and scabbard and I also have some original meal kits including smokes, insect repellent etc. I included the gear just for fun, but a lot of it is NOS form the mid to late 1960's.

I now have about 5 weapons I need to go shoot and provide range reports and I am excited to shoot this one for sure!

Enjoy a few pics...... M1Army

Before Stock Pics:

First Range Report:

Hi Everyone,

I drove over to the Georgia Gun Club last Sunday and took three rifles [my M40, my HOWA 1500 .308 and my 6.5 Creedmoor M14 "Black Max"]; but the main reason for the trip was to shoot my Replica M40.

It has been a while since I sent a decent number of rounds down range with a bolt action rifle and the old shoulder felt the heat. It was great to shoot this fine M40 Replica rifle and she performed without flaw. We have so many platforms to choose from today that include tons of new technology, but the simplicity of this rifle was welcoming! Basically you acquire your target, put the cross hairs on it and squeeze the trigger - wham you hit it!

Below was my best group after getting the scope sighted in and I believe this was an 8 shot group. This was shot at the Georgia Gun Club at the 100 yard indoor range [my favorite place to shoot a new build]. I will share my initial load data and if you have a favorite M40 load maybe you can leave your recipe. I was happy considering the rifle was new and still breaking her in - I was a little rusty too!

I also wanted to say I took part in the QuickLoad group buy several months ago and have found the software program to be very useful particularly in when you are trying to work-up a new load for a new rifle.

Here are some specifics:

Powder - 42.1 Grains of H-4895
    Primer - Federal Match Large Rifle
    Bullet - SMK 168 Grain hpbt
    Case - New Winchester Brass
    Case Trim Length - 2.005
    Ogive Measurement - 2.2238 for this rifle/bullet combination after measuring the OAL with my Hornady Overall Length Gage and backing off the lands .020
    Accuracy Node - QuickLoad shows 1.228 MS - which is exactly on Node #5 for a 24" barrel.
    I have some H-4064 powder I will try in the future as well

Below find a pic of the QuickLoad data for this load.

M1Army

2. Likes NMC_EXP, polish29 liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finished - M40 Remington SSA Replica Project

Nice job, sexy wood for sure.
    On my honor,
    I will never betray my badge,
    my integrity, my character,
    or the public trust.
    I will always have
    the courage to hold myself
    and others accountable for our actions.
    I will always uphold the constitution,
    my community, and the agency I serve.

Regional Coordinator - Southeast Region
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NC C.C.H. Instructor

"The Artist Formally Known As Shadow"

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful rifle and a shooter too!

Gulf Regional Coordinator

Winner 2011 Team M14 "Offhand Challenge" Rack Grade Category

Winning White Team Member 2015 Winter Solstice M1 Garand / AR15 Postal Shoot

"Keep up the fire"
    Motto of the U.S. 9th Infantry Regiment.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job, . . .

Pride of accomplishment shows thru it all, . . . and the target results tell the final tale.

May God bless,
    Dwight

LIFE MEMBER

If you can breathe, . . . thank God
    If you can read, . . . thank a teacher
    If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

IMR 4064, 42.4gr just may give you better results with the same components.
    Exvellent post. Thank you.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya done good! I especially like the tone of the walnut stock!!
    Semper-Fi! Hawk
    USMC 71-73

Life Member 3rd Mar Div Assoc.
    Life Member DAV
    Life Member M14RA (President)

Sparrowhawkm14dotcom Home of Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits(TM) and more

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya done good. Me likie.