Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits USATAC.com MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island Ra Parts smithenterprise.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Bill Ricca Machinegun Books

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Failure to Lock Back Slide.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Failure to Lock Back Slide.

I'm playing detective. We had a family day at the range today and I had two new Wilson Combat 920 series mags that I wanted to use and my standard 45 acp reload. I ran a mag and didn't have any issues. When I ran the second mag the slide didn't lock back after the last round. So I put that aside. Then I ran the other mag and it did the same thing, failure to lock the slide back. I'm using a series 80 1911. We had a lot going on so I put those mags aside and it functioned with a Kimber mag and ball ammo. I had used up my reloads also but I can't remember if I ran any in the Kimber mag. When I got home I but both mags in the well, racked the slide back and they engaged the slide stop to hold open the mag. Both followers look to be in spec. Is it possible the reloads are not strong enough to move the slide to the rear, cock the hammer but not far enough back for the follower to engage the slide stop? I've never had this malfunction with this load.
    You all can go to hell, I'm goin to Texas.
    Davie Crockett

2. Thanks sergeant major thanked for this post
    Likes 4570govt liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Failure to Lock Back Slide.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    Is it possible the reloads are not strong enough to move the slide to the rear, cock the hammer but not far enough back for the follower to engage the slide stop? I've never had this malfunction with this load.
    More than likely your loads were too light to fully compress the guide spring in your Wilson Combat 920 , I believe you stated you had no malfunctions with factory loads.

Also: Make sure you’re not riding the slide stop.
    Last edited by VanHahner; 5th November 2019 at 02:22 AM.
    U.S.M.C. Scout Sniper 67-68

4. Thanks 4570govt thanked for this post
    Likes m1ashooter liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Failure to Lock Back Slide.

maybe your handloads are a tiny bit underpowered. Maybe work up a new load. Test em' test em' ( ha ha I was being Hawai'ian )
    Remember our fallen...

6. Thanks VanHahner, m1ashooter thanked for this post
    Likes 4570govt liked this post