Damn the Impeachment, Full Steam Ahead!: President Trump said Wednesday he will appoint more than 180 judges by the end of the year, celebrating the historic milestone at a White House event attended by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and fellow Republicans recognized for remaking the federal bench. More than 157 of Mr. Trump’s judicial nominees have been confirmed, and dozens are awaiting confirmation for district and circuit court vacancies. Mr. Trump, who said his nominees “will uphold our Constitution as written,” said the number of judicial confirmations is “a big moment” in the nation’s history. He mostly credited Mr. McConnell for moving federal judges through the confirmation process at an unprecedented speed to fill out the federal judiciary. “Generations from now, Americans will know Mitch McConnell helped save the constitutional rule of law in America,” Mr. Trump said. He called the Kentucky Republican to the East Room podium, who said giving the federal bench a conservative bent is part of the way Mr. Trump has helped “to make America great again.” … (If only RBG would retire to tend to her health.)

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-judiciary-th/

--

Another Celebrity Touted for Opposition to the RKBA: Julianne Moore just doesn't seem to age. The 58-year-old actress looked stunning as she flashed her black bra while posing for WSJ. Magazine November Innovator's Issue, which is on newsstands Saturday, November 9. The glamorous actress talked about gun control, her son Cal, the Academy Award she won for the 2015 film Still Alice and Gloria Steinem, who she plays in a new movie. Moore's work on gun violence [sic] prevention stretches back to the horrific shooting in 2012 at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Moore recalls the futile agony of trying to shield the Sandy Hook news from Liv, who was 10 at the time, only to have her daughter eventually turn and ask, 'Mommy, did a bunch of little kids get shot today?' It made Moore realize she had to do something to stop it. 'I felt like I was following all these activists and moms – Shannon Watts in particular,' she said. 'I feel like I'm an acolyte: How can I help her; how can I help them?' 'Julianne's been a very courageous voice,' says Moore's friend Shannon Watts, the founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America. 'She's obviously a megawatt superstar, but first and foremost, she's a mom who cares about everyone's kids.' Moore then talked about old taboos. 'Culturally, people were loath to speak about the Second Amendment and guns, because somehow it was taboo,' she said. 'It was taboo because the [National Rifle Association] has made it taboo, claiming people were un-American if they were talking about this kind of stuff. 'So, I was like, "All right, so if [the NRA] has managed to wage this public relations campaign from their end, why don't I have the people in my community – our community – speaking up?"' Moore likes Walmart's public appeal to its customers in open-carry states to not bring weapons into its stores. 'That's success,' Moore said. 'That's Moms Demand [Action], people saying, "Hey, we would like to shop in your stores." … (Hey, it's a slow news day. I can't speak for other locales but I shopped at the local Walmart on Monday and, in addition to one uniformed police officer, I noticed two other people carrying openly. I saw no effort on the part of store personnel to dissuade them from doing so. Thankfully, I believe that both were using holsters with at least one retention device.)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...n-control.html

--

O Canada: Toronto's board of health is set to vote next week on whether or not to formally ask the provincial government for a ban on handguns. The ban would prohibit the availability, sale, possession, and use of handguns, assault rifles, and semi-automatic firearms in the City of Toronto. The board is also seeking a ban on the sale of handgun ammunition. The requests are also part of a broader initiative to take a public health approach to dealing with gun violence [sic] – a major issue in the city. Toronto Mayor John Tory has been calling for a gun ban for over a year, but municipalities don't have the power to legislate one on their own. So far, however, the provincial government has suggested it won't block people from legally obtaining the weapons... (As one observer points out, Toronto is the city where in April 2018, a man used a van to kill ten people and injure at least 14 others. And those predominantly female victims were people who just happened to be in the wrong place, not participants in gang warfare.)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...deau-1.5348575

--

Predictably in Virginia: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) is promising to reintroduce a slate of "commonsense" gun control measures after Democrats gained control of both houses of the General Assembly for the first time since 1994. Northam said on CNN's "New Day" early Wednesday morning that he planned to reintroduce a package of laws addressing gun violence during the next legislative session. "Things like universal background checks. Getting rid of bump stocks, high volume magazines, 'red flag' laws. These are commonsense pieces of legislation," he said. "I will introduce those again in January. And I'm convinced, with the majority now in the House and the Senate, they'll become law and because of that Virginia will be safer." Northam said in a statement Tuesday night after Democrats won at least 21 of 40 seats in the state Senate and 51 seats in the 100-member House of Delegates that the "ground has shifted in Virginia government." … (Bloomberg and Soros each invested at least $1 million in this election in Virginia. However, the deciding factor seems to have been the burgeoning population spillover into northern Virginia suburbs from the DC “swamp.”)

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...after-dems-win

--

A Historical Vignette: A Revolutionary War rifle that was stolen in 1971 and discovered at a barn sale almost 50 years later is now back on display after being reunited with its owner. The rifle, which is owned by the Pennsylvania Society of Sons of the Revolution and its Color Guard, was on loan to the Valley Forge Historical Society when it was stolen from a display at Valley Forge Park in 1971... Antique dealer Kelly Kinzle discovered the rifle at a Berks County barn sale in 2018, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported. He purchased the firearm and, realizing that he had a historic rifle on his hands, worked with his lawyers to establish its past and negotiate a handover to the FBI. The American long rifle was made by Johann Christian Oerter, a master gunsmith in Lehigh Valley, Pa. It was made in 1775 and is engraved with Oerter’s name, the date and the location of his workshop – Christian’s Spring, near present-day Nazareth – on the top of the iron rifle barrel. The name “W.Goodwin,” likely the name of the original owner, is engraved on the rifle’s wooden stock. “Only a handful of signed and dated American rifles from the Revolutionary era have survived,” explained the Museum of the American Revolution in a statement. “Oerter’s work is recognized by arms scholars as among the finest and most important.” … (Note that this is described – I believe correctly – as a rifle, not as a musket, which, through the War Between the States, would still have been a smoothbore, typically mounted with a bayonet lug for military use. Rifled firearms were introduced to the American colonies by German immigrants, mostly settling in Pennsylvania. They typically ended up producing rifles with longer barrels than the predecessor German jäger or jaeger rifles and it was that longer rifle that became known as the Pennsylvania or Kentucky rifle, In those days, “Kentucky” was used as a much broader term for what was then the frontier. And that, Grasshopper, is the start of how the United States became a nation of riflemen.)

https://www.foxnews.com/science/revo...ago-on-display

--

Since I've Got Some Space Here: ...The .380 ACP loads in this article are designed around two different perspectives on what yields effectiveness. The first is one you’ve likely seen in the form of the Hornady 90-grain Critical Defense. This load features a proprietary jacketed hollow point with an FTX polymer tip. It is not a stretch to say that this load is what helped escalate the popularity of the .380, catapulting it to a modern self-defense mainstay. The FTX bullet technology allows for the projectile to pierce heavy clothing and minor barriers without deforming or clogging. Its competitor in this showdown is the Buffalo Bore 100-grain +P hard cast. This load is essentially similar in construction to cowboy ammo from years past. Unlike the Hornady bullet, the Buffalo Bore is not designed to expand at all, instead, using the same premise as big game hunting. A solid-enough bullet drives straight through the target allowing vitals to be reached through thick hide, bone, and fat. This load is ultimately meant to drive in deep, penetrating as much tissues as possible... (The .380 [9x19mm] sits at the intersection of the curves where expansion may limit necessary penetration if you don't get a frontal shot into the mediastinal area of the chest. The flat point of Buffalo Bore's solid bullet is a desirable feature but, as discussed further down this article, it comes at the expense of being loaded to +P pressure. Such loads are best avoided in older ,380 pistols that lack locking breeches. And, while this reviewer did not notice much difference in recoil when he fired the two loads from a Glock 42, that may not be the case with the ergonomics of other pistols in that chambering. I believe that a diligent search would turn up at least one commercially offered, standard-pressure, flat-point FMJ load, not necessarily of American manufacture.)

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/11/07...380-vs-hornady