X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JEFFJP_N_JJ
    Command Sgt Major
    • Jun 2020

Question for the reloaders here.

As Varget and H4895 seem unobtainium here of late I just ordered me another 8lb jug of IMR 4064.
    Question: Does it work with lighter bullets or is it best with heavier ones?

Anyone have any good loads to share?
    "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

"Whenever you fall... Pick something up." - Oswald Every
    Member M14 Battle Rifle Club
    Lifetime member NRA
    GOA Member

• tflorman
    Machine Gunner
    • Sep 2013

Re: Question for the reloaders here.

I am about to find out. I loaded up some TNT's at 2.7 COAL in LC Brass and will be shooting them tomorrow. I'm looking for a light recoil load so I started at 41.5 and went up in .3 grain increments. We shall see. The Shooters World Match Rifle powder did pretty good at 42.8 with a 2.75 COAL, but I'm not sure if it was a fluke or not so I will have to recheck that too. If you're looking for a more full power load, you're probably going to be at around 45 grains or so if I recall Tonyben's load data... though I think he was using IMR 4895 which is just a tad faster than 4064.
    Todd Florman
    ET1 - US Navy 1987-1995
    NRA XTC Master
    NRA Midrange Expert
    NRA Long Range Expert
    12 down 18 to go.

Comment

• JEFFJP_N_JJ
      Command Sgt Major
      • Jun 2020

Originally posted by tflorman
      I am about to find out. I loaded up some TNT's at 2.7 COAL in LC Brass and will be shooting them tomorrow. I'm looking for a light recoil load so I started at 41.5 and went up in .3 grain increments. We shall see. The Shooters World Match Rifle powder did pretty good at 42.8 with a 2.75 COAL, but I'm not sure if it was a fluke or not so I will have to recheck that too. If you're looking for a more full power load, you're probably going to be at around 45 grains or so if I recall Tonyben's load data... though I think he was using IMR 4895 which is just a tad faster than 4064.
      Thanks tflorman! I am all eyes and ears here... I have an 8lb jug of Shooter's World Match Rifle here but it did not do what I wanted so it is the powder I use for my 'end of life' brass now...
      I am doing the 10 Dot game here so low and slow is fine with me...
      "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

Lifetime member NRA
      GOA Member

Comment

• nf1e
        Administrator
        • Mar 2011

I use 4064 and Varget interchangeably. My load for the 10 dot is 136 gr hpfb over 45 gr of either one. Seems to work pretty well.
        Sgt USMC
        RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

• mad mike
          Machine Gunner
          • Jun 2020

I use 4064 for 150 gr. SST's in 30'06 & 139 gr. SST's in 7mm08 with very good results , so it should not be an issue with 308 , if thats what you are asking about .

Comment

• budster
            Command Sgt Major
            • Jun 2012

Jeff. Go to the Hodgdon website. They have loadings for the bullet weight you want in IMR4064.
            Also, the Sierra Reloading Books also contain specific information.

Comment

• tflorman
              Machine Gunner
              • Sep 2013

Ok, the lighter recoil results are in. Both 42.1 and 42.4 grains of IMR 4064 with a 125 TNT shot well. Each group had 4 shots sub MOA with a 5 flyer to take the group size to 1.25 MOA for 42.1 and 1.33 MOA for 42.4 (though it could have been me since I was using a 4x scope). Recoil was noticeably lighter than a full power 44 grains of 8208 load. I think I am going to load 10 at 42.1 and another 10 using the 42.8 of SW Match Rifle and give them a head to head challenge. I have quite a bit of both powders so which ever gives the best group with a light recoil will win a spot in my short line ammo box :).
              Todd Florman
              ET1 - US Navy 1987-1995
              NRA XTC Master
              NRA Midrange Expert
              NRA Long Range Expert
              12 down 18 to go.

Comment

• JEFFJP_N_JJ
                Command Sgt Major
                • Jun 2020

Originally posted by tflorman
                Ok, the lighter recoil results are in. Both 42.1 and 42.4 grains of IMR 4064 with a 125 TNT shot well. Each group had 4 shots sub MOA with a 5 flyer to take the group size to 1.25 MOA for 42.1 and 1.33 MOA for 42.4 (though it could have been me since I was using a 4x scope). Recoil was noticeably lighter than a full power 44 grains of 8208 load. I think I am going to load 10 at 42.1 and another 10 using the 42.8 of SW Match Rifle and give them a head to head challenge. I have quite a bit of both powders so which ever gives the best group with a light recoil will win a spot in my short line ammo box :).
                Thanks tflorman... I have some brass ready here to reload this weekend and was thinking of trying some but may have to really work this weekend as the boss called me tonight when the weather forecast went to 120+ degrees here this coming Sunday... And it has been to hot for my chronograph too

Lifetime member NRA
                GOA Member

Comment

• WaM14gunner
                  Fire Team Leader
                  • Jun 2020

Originally posted by JEFFJP_N_JJ
                  Thanks tflorman... I have some brass ready here to reload this weekend and was thinking of trying some but may have to really work this weekend as the boss called me tonight when the weather forecast went to 120+ degrees here this coming Sunday... And it has been to hot for my chronograph too
                  Jeff I hate to say it and take this in jest of course, but I think you have read TOO many of Phil's posts elsewhere!! LOL.

Comment

• JEFFJP_N_JJ
                    Command Sgt Major
                    • Jun 2020

That was a good one WaM14gunner!

Lifetime member NRA
                    GOA Member

Comment

• oseto317
                      Machine Gunner
                      • Jun 2020

I'll have to dig through my notes, but if I remember correctly I was getting the best results with 165gr and 168gr running around 42.2gr of IMR 4064.

Comment

• JEFFJP_N_JJ
                        Command Sgt Major
                        • Jun 2020

Anyone here use QuickLoads?

I have me 60rds of resized and cleaned IMI 7.62 x 51mm brass that will be on it's 8th reload by me that I intend to load as follows for the Dirty Birds next time out... Have to work this weekend so will load ammo for the next:

41.8gr IMR 4064/WMGLR primers/Hornady 155gr hpbt w/cannelure @ 2.80 coal

Load looks good on QL so will load it up to try on the Dirty Birds when I can...

Lifetime member NRA
                        GOA Member

Comment

• Jim11B20
                          Platoon Sgt
                          • Jun 2020

Jeff, quick question. How does your IMI brass compare to other military brass? The reason I ask...I worked up a load using LC brass, 41.4 grains of IMR-4895, Win Match primers and a SMK 168. Avg velocity was 2550. Due to some issues with the LC brass being way too brittle I bought 1000 IMI cases and loaded the same load and promptly lost 30 fps average. I'll be working them up soon to 2600ish. My other load is Winchester cases and 43 grains of IMR-4064 for 2588 fps in my Loaded and 2565 fps in my USGI parts rifle. These probably aren't what you are considering lite recoil, but they are lighter than M80.
                          When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

FBI=Gestapo DHS=KGB BATF=SS

Comment

• JEFFJP_N_JJ
                            Command Sgt Major
                            • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Jim11B20
                            Jeff, quick question. How does your IMI brass compare to other military brass? The reason I ask...I worked up a load using LC brass, 41.4 grains of IMR-4895, Win Match primers and a SMK 168. Avg velocity was 2550. Due to some issues with the LC brass being way too brittle I bought 1000 IMI cases and loaded the same load and promptly lost 30 fps average. I'll be working them up soon to 2600ish. My other load is Winchester cases and 43 grains of IMR-4064 for 2588 fps in my Loaded and 2565 fps in my USGI parts rifle. These probably aren't what you are considering lite recoil, but they are lighter than M80.
                            Jim11B20,
                            I have and used mostly LC; PPU 7.62 x 51mm brass and now the IMI 7.62 x 51mm brass... I do not see much difference but 30fps is probably correct and normal for different brands. I just try not to shoot with mixed headstamps.
                            Here is what I weighed when I got my electronic scale and my QuickLoad program to find a water volume to plug in... I use 54gr of water usually in it but can be 60fps faster than it predicts:

LC '90: 179.9gr/54.6gr h20
                            IMI 7.62 x 51mm: 184.4gr/54.05gr h20
                            PPU '16 7.62 x 51mm: 178.9/54.2gr h20
                            Peterson .308 brass: 180.5gr/54.3gr h20

Hope this helps some and does not confuse as I was trying to learn to use the QL program and it is still a work in progress and I believe good 'ole shooting and experimenting does much better but QL is a quide.

Lifetime member NRA
                            GOA Member

Comment

• JEFFJP_N_JJ
                              Command Sgt Major
                              • Jun 2020

Originally posted by nf1e
                              I use 4064 and Varget interchangeably. My load for the 10 dot is 136 gr hpfb over 45 gr of either one. Seems to work pretty well.
                              I just loaded some up in my IMI 7.62 x 51mm brass x 8 reloads like this:

Weighed 44.5gr IMR 4064/WMGLR primers/Speer 125gr TNT's @ 2.70 coal... 10 dot ammo?
                              Weighed 41.8gr IMR 4064/WMGLR primers/Hornady 155gr hpbt w/cannelure @ 2.80 coal... Dirty Bird ammo?

Going to be very hot out here tomorrow but hope to try some and see how they group. nf1e? How do you get 45gr in your cases? 44.5 had 'em pretty full!

Lifetime member NRA
                              GOA Member

Comment

Working...