You will need to Register or log in to view thread content. Registration is easy and use of the forum is always free!!! Once you have registered a email will be sent to you for verification. If you do not receive it, look in your spam folder, or use the contact us form at the bottom of the page.
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS!
Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits USATAC.com MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island Ra Parts smithenterprise.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Machinegun Books

Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  28
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My Garand Journey

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Garand Journey

re: penetrating oil - Never heard the brake fluid option.

I worked for Caterpillar. One of the skilled trades was millwrights (AKA "hammer slammers"). Among other things these guys worked on production machinery and tooling that might be 50 years old.

The millwrights swore by Kroil as their penetrating oil of choice. I switched to Kroil and am pleased with it.

I've also used it as a bore cleaner for stubborn powder fouling.
    “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)

Machine Gunner
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    Why did you trim the ejector, extractor springs? They may have been longer than what you had as yours were old and worn.
    Trigger group disassembly is not hard as long as YOU MAKE SURE HAMMER IS NOT COCKED. If you do it once that way I guarantee you wont do it again
    Heres a video that shoes how easy it is
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRZk...ature=emb_logo
    I had trouble getting the spring on no matter how much pressure I put on. Perhaps getting the tool will help. I do have an extra set of new springs.
    Thanks for the video although it is too late with me cocking the hammer. I am now trying to get the spring out. Good learning experience...I am an honest NOOB

Designated Marksman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Stick a punch about the same size as trigger pin and try and pry.move it all back in alignment. Push the punch all the way through, pull the trigger, pull punch and continue dissasembly

4. Likes LDO6490 liked this post
    Machine Gunner
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    Stick a punch about the same size as trigger pin and try and pry.move it all back in alignment. Push the punch all the way through, pull the trigger, pull punch and continue dissasembly
    It worked! Thank you so much. I am still fiddling with the trigger but I am happy all is good!

Machine Gunner
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Put the rifle back together with it being lubed up and getting new springs. Rifle is very very smooth. After talking to my dad, I will not refinish the stock as he made a great point: Every dent and scratch has a story to tell. The number 22 painted on the base of the pistol grip shows it was issued. I agree. At the same time I am still ordering a CMP stock so I can work on it...I really enjoyed working on my Boyd’s M1A stock. Will update when stock and ammo comes in.

Designated Marksman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Order stock from Dupage Trading. Same stock without the hideous CMP stamp on the side

Designated Marksman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

They also have stocks bare, with no finish if you want to do your own

9. Likes LDO6490 liked this post
    Fire Team Leader
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised no one has asked this yet....

Where's the pics ??

11. Likes wrwindsor, LDO6490 liked this post
    Machine Gunner
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Pie View Post
    I'm surprised no one has asked this yet....

Where's the pics ??
    I need to learn how to do it. I keep asking Hawk. It won’t let me upload pics with my phone. I will try with my computer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3