"Keep ‘em in the 10 ring"
Where shooters, collectors and enthusiasts congregate

Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.

Our Premier Sponsors
HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl LRB Arms of Long Island smithenterprise.com buladefense.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca Dwight's Gunleather
Thanks Thanks:  134
Likes Likes:  164
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The answer to who makes the best receiver

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

The answer to who makes the best receiver

The answer is like who makes the best candy. Some like M&Ms while others like Reese's peanutbutter cups or Almond Mounds (even Mounds are made with or without almonds).

It seems that in most cases, quality is in the eyes of the beholder.....what one owns is of course "the best!"

If one thinks that any of the receiver manufacturers set out to create sub-standard receivers, I really dont think so. I

Through the years, I've seen just about everything. Ask the owner of a M14 type rifle which he thinks is the best, and most will be inclined to think of his own.

The biggest thing I have seen through the years is how self proclaimed Armorers who have used Bubba practices are regarded by some as being great. How these so-called armorers opinions are even considered is beyond belief.

Receivers are like candy in that everyone has their own favorite or preference. Nothing wrong with that. The only wrong is when people argue with anyone that their receiver is better than anyone elses....LOL This I think is rediculous, unless you have worked on, owned and shot extensively a huge cross section of receivers and make your choice/preference based on first hand experience and not because one owns one built by someone else and likes it. That information based on experience owning and shooting a rifle IS important in general, but, really doesn't play into the criteria of who makes the best receiver.

Some over the years have nightmare stories about rifles built on less than stellar receivers and choose to blast the manufacturer without even contacting them and giving them a chance to make it right. Case in point. Years ago, someone complained out in the open that LRB receivers had a problem with the slot in which the charger clip guide when installed would break the receiver in that area due to the slot being under size.

Turns out, whoever attempted to install the charger clip guide tried to install it from the wrong side and the upper piece of the slot snapped.

Seems like the M14 world just loves to sling mud back in forth over the best receiver issue.

Sooooo, before I jump down from my soap box, let me say this.

Be proud of what you have and even prouder if it shoots well with no malfunctions, but, please, don't make statements about your rifle's receiver being the best, unless, you have first hand knowledge having worked on a vast number of different receivers and can back up your statement.
    Semper-Fi! Hawk
    ....USMC 71-73

Life Member 3rd Mar Div Assoc.
    Life Member DAV
    Life Member M14BR Club (Current President)
    Member M14 Battle Rifle Club Board of Directors

Aim small.....Miss small!

Creator of the SparrowHawkM14 "Original" M14 Dummy Kit.TM
    Co-Creator of the "Original" M14 Forum

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The answer to who makes the best receiver

I am happy with ALL of mine especially the one I assembled myself from a barreled action! Robbed and bought parts from everywhere but it shoots!
    "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

"Whenever you fall... Pick something up." - Oswald Every
    Member M14 Battle Rifle Club
    Lifetime member NRA
    GOA Member

3. Thanks Hawk, Wayne M, MTN.GOAT, 1563621 thanked for this post
    Likes Hawk, 4570govt, MTN.GOAT, 9th liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost all receivers are fine. It's the bubbas screwing them up and trying to blame the makers for their problems as in the case Hawk mentioned. One noted bubba comes to mind that has done nothing but complain about all makes of receivers over the years and he is not even a real armorer, machinist or engineer though some unknowing folks put him on a pedestal because they, for some reason, believe his bs. Another complained that he dropped a SAI receiver on the floor and a leg broke off. Same bubba was noted for using an adjustable wrench over the legs when trying to index a barrel that should have had the shoulder trimmed beforehand. Many of us are aware of these situations and this sort of thread may help the newer folks do some research before they get taken by a bubba.
    Sgt USMC
    RVN 67-68 I Corps

M14 Rifle Club Vice President
    Member M14BR Club Board of Directors

Platoon Sgt
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first got my M1A, I had a bubba put on a flash suppressor with bayonet lug. I Had no tools at the time and figured it would be cheaper to have it done by a “gunsmith.” I picked it up and the castle nut retaining pin was missing. He told me I didn’t need it. Needless to say he ordered me a new retaining pin and I started learning how to do things myself along with acquiring tools. The guy in hindsight should never be allowed near a rifle, but I do owe him some credit for motivating me to learn maintenance and repair

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

As a Rifleman, all I expect of my rifles, is to fire and function as they are supposed to do, and with good accuracy. I admit, sometimes I have thought, why did I spend X amount of money more on the Cadillac, when the Chevy Impala would have done the job just as well? I happen to have expensive receivers on rifles and not so expensive, I like them all. I'm happy with my choices, I wouldn't ever badmouth another man's choice of receiver, no matter how inexpensive or expensive.
    "Keep 'em in the 10 Ring!"

7. Thanks Hawk, Wayne M, nf1e, VanHahner, polish29 thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LDO6490 View Post
    but I do owe him some credit for motivating me to learn maintenance and repair
    A similar thinking concerning my 2nd Ju-Jitsu instructor. Taught me more about what not to do teachingwise than what to do. Made me a much better teacher down the road.
    Semper-Fi! Hawk
    ....USMC 71-73

Life Member 3rd Mar Div Assoc.
    Life Member DAV
    Life Member M14BR Club (Current President)

Aim small.....Miss small!

Creator of the SparrowHawkM14 "Original" M14 Dummy Kit.TM
    Co-Creator of the "Original" M14 Forum

Platoon Sgt
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with what everyone is saying.

When my wife bought me my Springfield Loaded M1A for Christmas a few years back, I was, well, happy as a kid on Christmas. Walnut stock ? Awesome ! National Match parts ? Awesome !

Then I joined the forums and read the "horror stories". Oh no, what have I done ? Cast receiver ? Non-USGI parts ? The purists poo-poo'd the rifle that made me smile. Do I own an expensive piece of junk that will modify my purty face when I shoot it ? I thought it was a beautiful rifle. Now I got a pig wearing lipstick ?

Then I realized that very few, very few of us own a REAL M14. Nearly each and every one of us own a clone. Sure, you can buy as many USGI parts as you can and build it yourself, but in the end it's still a clone. "As close to original" and "All USGI, except" are the tags assigned to such rifles. For most of us it would be easier to get a gallon of unicorn milk than a real M14.

When I pull my trigger it goes boom and punches little holes in paper. Will it last 10k rounds ? I have no idea and will never reach that milestone so I don't care. Is it as durable as a "real" M14 ? Again, no clue. It goes from it's padded rifle case to the wooden shooting bench and back. I don't plan on butt-stroking anyone with it, peeing on the frozen receiver to free it up, crossing rivers with it or dragging it through a muddy swamp.

So, am I happy with my Christmas present ? Very much so. I have the best wife in the world that gives me these "silly things"; my M1A Loaded that makes me smile.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Very well said.
    May those who criticize others equipment rest in a bed of poison ivy.
    Sgt USMC
    RVN 67-68 I Corps

M14 Rifle Club Vice President
    Member M14BR Club Board of Directors

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Very well said Mud Pie !

I have a National Match M1A and it's the only M14 type rifle that I own. It's a battle rifle nothing more and I'm not disappointed, or expect it to shoot under 2 MOA all the time. I'm perfectly satisfied with its performance !

There are plenty of high performance pickups out there, that are a lot faster than my Chevy 4x4 and while I can appreciate and even marvel at their speed and beauty, I'm totally satisfied with my work truck and all the things it has provided in hauling rock, wood and manure along with all the dents and rust in the body , same with my rifle !

U.S.M.C. Scout Sniper 67-68

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto. She ain't no queen, she's an M14. Sorta...

I laugh at these guys that have sparkly clean, brand new trucks without a scratch in the bottom of the bed. The reason they can't get anything in the bed is because the sides are so high you can't lift anything over them!

I just figure they have little other things.

My Ford Ranger 4x4 fits in the garage, too. I can lift things over the side and I don't need any electric step on the tailgate either.

13. Thanks Hawk, Mud Pie, VanHahner, nf1e thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast