You will need to Register or log in to view thread content. Registration is easy and use of the forum is always free!!! Once you have registered a email will be sent to you for verification. If you do not receive it, look in your spam folder, or use the contact us form at the bottom of the page.
Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
LRB now accepting deposits, see our group buy for details!
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits USATAC.com MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island Ra Parts smithenterprise.com buladefense.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Machinegun Books
Whatta Hobby!!!!

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  21

Thread: Servicing a bunch of 1903s, 03A3s,1917 and a Krag.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Servicing a bunch of 1903s, 03A3s,1917 and a Krag.

Been planning on a good cleaning on a bunch of 30 cal. bold action Military rifles and finally got around to it today.
    Stripped them down, dis-assembled and cleaned bolts and firing mechanisms. Bores were all in pretty good shape but got patched anyway and the stocks all got a scrubbing with break free. Two of the 03A3s still had a ton of thick storage grease in the bolts. Ready to hit the range.
    Sgt USMC
    RVN 67-68 I Corps

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Servicing a bunch of 1903s, 03A3s,1917 and a Krag.

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Been planning on a good cleaning on a bunch of 30 cal. bold action Military rifles and finally got around to it today.
    Stripped them down, dis-assembled and cleaned bolts and firing mechanisms. Bores were all in pretty good shape but got patched anyway and the stocks all got a scrubbing with break free. Two of the 03A3s still had a ton of thick storage grease in the bolts. Ready to hit the range.
    My favorite bolt action rifles! I have one 03A3, that has been drilled and tapped for scope mount and a sporter stock put on it, many years ago. The good thing is, that besides the scope mount and stock, the metal is still original. Would be nice to put a new US type stock and handguard back on it and transform it into a sort of 1903A4. Just would need the proper mount and scope.

Gulf Regional Coordinator

Winner 2011 Team M14 "Offhand Challenge" Rack Grade Category

Winning White Team Member 2015 Winter Solstice M1 Garand / AR15 Postal Shoot

"Keep up the fire"
    Motto of the U.S. 9th Infantry Regiment.

3. Likes NMC_EXP liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Minelli make very nice O3 stocks. My A4 repro with a little chewing in the bolt area to accommodate the A4 bolt. One of my favorite rifles to shoot. The folks I shoot with call it my hammer and often ask to use the hammer because everyone that picks it up does very well with it.

Sgt USMC
    RVN 67-68 I Corps

5. Likes NMC_EXP, polish29, VanHahner liked this post
    FNG
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Art,
    I have never heard of Break Free being used on stocks. Why use this instead of Tung oil or linseed oil?

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P Fal View Post
    Art,
    I have never heard of Break Free being used on stocks. Why use this instead of Tung oil or linseed oil?
    All my rifles already have multiple coats of blo and I have found that while cleaning a little break free does a nice job of bringing out the best. I just run a line down the length of the stock and rub it in. Been doing this for years now.
    Sgt USMC
    RVN 67-68 I Corps

8. Thanks Wayne M thanked for this post
    Likes NMC_EXP, polish29 liked this post
    Machine Gunner
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4570govt View Post
    My favorite bolt action rifles! I have one 03A3, that has been drilled and tapped for scope mount and a sporter stock put on it, many years ago. The good thing is, that besides the scope mount and stock, the metal is still original. Would be nice to put a new US type stock and handguard back on it and transform it into a sort of 1903A4. Just would need the proper mount and scope.
    I bought a very nice 03A3 several years ago at the local GS (metal and bore in prime condition) that had been sporterized, but not drilled and scoped. I was looking at the pieces and parts to return it to military trim, but they were scattered and sometimes pricey. I was lucky to find a de-mill 03A3 on AIM Surplus and I was able to "re-mill" my sporterized 03 with a simple barreled action swap.
    Navy nuke submariner 70-76
    NRA Life Benefactor
    USPSA Life
    NSCA Life

10. Likes nf1e, NMC_EXP liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

M14 is probably my favorite but I do love the old bolt guns.

Of course I still use a flip phone and refuse to own a vehicle with a telescreen in the middle of the dash.

I am archaic, and proud of it. Still resisting being dragged into the 21st century.
    “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)

12. Thanks 6.5x68 thanked for this post
    Likes nf1e, polish29, 30calflash, Jim11B20 liked this post
    Rifleman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have a hard time picking a favorite rifle out of my rack. best shooter would be my k31. but its not my favorite, maybe the M1 Garand. To think it all started with a Mosin so many years ago! which reminds me i still want to find a m39

14. Thanks VanHahner, nf1e, polish29 thanked for this post
    Likes 1563621 liked this post