You will need to Register or log in to view thread content. Registration is easy and use of the forum is always free!!! Once you have registered a email will be sent to you for verification. If you do not receive it, look in your spam folder, or use the contact us form at the bottom of the page.
Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits USATAC.com MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island Ra Parts smithenterprise.com buladefense.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Machinegun Books
Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Strange star stamp on my '03 butt plate

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Strange star stamp on my '03 butt plate

I have an old, smooth butt plate for the M1903 and it has a star stamped on it.

I have no idea what it signifies, but I do recall seeing a M1 rifle at a gun show with a couple of stars on the left side of the receiver,
    and was told that officers could special order a rifle for themselves and have their rank stamped on it.

Any ideas what the star on my butt plate signifies?

2. Likes NMC_EXP liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Strange star stamp on my '03 butt plate

Star gauged 03 butt plate, sort of like a NM M14 handguard clip.
    Sgt USMC
    RVN 67-68 I Corps

4. Likes Old Sarge, NMC_EXP, VanHahner liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Did to US provide any lend-lease rifle to Russia during WW2?

Re-import marks on the barrel?
    “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)

6. Likes nf1e liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Like a NM M14 handguard clip.
    Big bucks for those if you can find them !
    U.S.M.C. Scout Sniper 67-68

8. Likes nf1e, wrwindsor liked this post
    Machine Gunner
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Last time I read about sending guns to Russia was sumptin' about contract Winchester Model 95 in .30-40 Krag///or wuz in 7.62 x 54mm rimmed ? ? ?

10. Likes NMC_EXP liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikenewM1Ashooter View Post
    Last time I read about sending guns to Russia was sumptin' about contract Winchester Model 95 in .30-40 Krag///or wuz in 7.62 x 54mm rimmed ? ? ?
    There was a group of US Army soldiers deployed to Russia during it's pre WW1 commie revolution....as I recall?
    “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
    There was a group of US Army soldiers deployed to Russia during it's pre WW1 commie revolution....as I recall?
    American Expeditionary Forces. And they were issued US-made Remington or Westinghouse Mosin-Nagants that the Russians skipped payment on.

''With the start of World War I, production was restricted to the M1891 dragoon and infantry models for the sake of simplicity. Due to the desperate shortage of arms and the shortcomings of a still-developing domestic industry, the Russian government ordered 1.5 million M1891 infantry rifles from Remington Arms and another 1.8 million from New England Westinghouse Company in the United States in 1915.[6] Remington produced 750,000 rifles before production was halted by the 1917 October Revolution. Deliveries to Russia had amounted to 469,951 rifles when the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk ended hostilities between the Central Powers and now Soviet-Russia. Henceforth, the new Bolshevik government of Vladimir Lenin cancelled payments to the American companies manufacturing the Mosin–Nagant (Russia had not paid for the order at any time throughout the Great War).

With Remington and Westinghouse on the precipice of bankruptcy from the Communists' decision, the remaining 280,000 rifles were purchased by the United States Army.

American and British expeditionary forces of the North Russia Campaign were armed with these rifles and sent to Murmansk and Arkhangelsk in the late summer of 1918 to prevent the large quantities of munitions delivered for Czarist forces from being captured by the Central Powers.

MK14E2 formerly known as M14E2 (Lifer)!

13. Thanks VanHahner, NMC_EXP, wrwindsor thanked for this post
    Likes VanHahner, JEFFJP_N_JJ, ONEONTA liked this post