You will need to Register or log in to view thread content. Registration is easy and use of the forum is always free!!! Once you have registered a email will be sent to you for verification. If you do not receive it, look in your spam folder, or use the contact us form at the bottom of the page.
Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits USATAC.com MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island Ra Parts smithenterprise.com buladefense.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Machinegun Books
Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  53
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Difference in scope quality

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Difference in scope quality

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Trooper View Post
    Id prefer a 10x if I had to be fixed.
    Many snipers were issued rifles with 10 X scopes and they worked just fine, no messing with power rings, or fiddling with parallax adjustments. It would also be my choice for a fixed !
    U.S.M.C. Scout Sniper 67-68

2. Thanks chief on one thanked for this post
    Likes chief on one, JEFFJP_N_JJ, LDO6490 liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a real Vortex fan.. I've Leupolds, Zeis and even an old Tasco (while they were still made in Japan) I must have 10 or 12 Vortexs every thing from red dots(Sparcs, and Spitfires), Strikeeagles, and Viper PSTs. I love the illuminated reticles.

I had a Tasco (a while back) on my M1A and it destroyed the scope. Then I went Leupold (it still works) but when I got the Zeis... it went on. MY Vortex PST is in my SCAR 17, I forget what I've on my Tavor SAR, (the brand) its the one that the Israelis use.. no batteries, collects light and has tritium for low light.. sorry cannot for the life of me remember the brand (I'm too lazy to open up safe)..

I still like the Vortex brand best bang for the bucks (IMHO)

8th RRFS Phu Bai
    1969-1971
    Phu Bai is All right

4. Likes LDO6490 liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

A big part of the diff is in the lenses. I worked for company that built very interesting optical systems for various foreign & domestic Gov't agencies and the prices in the different grades of top quality lenses is staggering. Top quality glass lenses are ground , coated , and inspected by machine and eye. They are then graded , not unlike gemstones. The best cost.

Looking at something 100yds away with a $100 scope , a $500 scope , a $1000 scope and a $3500 scope , you might not notice much difference.

Look at something 1000yds away you will most definitely see a difference.

Internal mechanisms. How a scope takes the knocks and rigors of a hunting or 'tactical' rifle is also a concern. Many cheap scopes use molded plastic internal parts. The better ones use precisely machined metal.

The M-14 rifle action/op-rod can batter a cheap scope apart.
    MK14E2 formerly known as M14E2 (Lifer)!

6. Thanks chief on one, VanHahner thanked for this post
    Likes JEFFJP_N_JJ, nf1e, chief on one, VanHahner liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Vortex gen 1.;; 1-4 X 24. second fp. It has been repaired twice , using it on my M1A. I see now that on the ads, for the 2nd. Gen they are only used on the AR15.

8. Thanks VanHahner thanked for this post
    Likes LDO6490 liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MK14E2 View Post

Looking at something 100yds away with a $100 scope , a $500 scope , a $1000 scope and a $3500 scope , you might not notice much difference.

Look at something 1000yds away you will most definitely see a difference.
    For sure, the glass you see on some of these high end long range scopes like, Nightforce, U.S. Optics , Steiner and Zeiss are some of the clearest, sharpest glass available on the market !
    U.S.M.C. Scout Sniper 67-68

10. Likes nf1e, LDO6490 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3