NEW MEMBERS PLEASE READ! Due to an outrageous number of bogus registrations, all new member registrations will need to be approved by an admin. This usually will only take a short while so please be patient. If you registered and are awaiting approval, you may get a banned message upon logging in. That message should go away once your membership has been approved. In addition, all newly approved members will have a Welcome thread posted in DigHawaii's Welcome Center. Please take a moment to acknowledge those who have added a welcome.
Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island smithenterprise.com buladefense.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca The M14 Rifle Association HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Machinegun Books
Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  30

Thread: Sighting in ACOG and review

Section Leader
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Sighting in ACOG and review

Bottom Line, I love it and its the clearest glass I ever shot from.

So I read in the forums most people aren't the biggest fans of ACOGs because its ridiculously high on M14s and just looks silly. However, with the EBR and its rail system, it wouldn't be high at all. I always wanted an ACOG because of its illuminated reticle and its BDC which is top of the line. Truth is I struggle with Irons sometimes as the black irons blend in with the black bullseye and its hard to see if I am dead center on the dot; I may have an eye sight issue, who knows.

With that being said, I got a good deal plus a Military discount on a TA11 ACOG with a red horse shoe reticle. I played around with it for a week and a half with a lot of dry firing and the illumination was nice and bright yet not too bright. It didn't add an insane weight, and the eye relief is actually very generous allowing me to mount it with the forward/scout rail. It's advertised as 2.4 inches, but its more like 3 inches plus eye relief. It works surprisingly good.

After I did the spring fling challenge for the board, I decided to sight the ACOG in and have some fun.
    ACOG SET UP 1.jpgACOG SET UP 2.jpg

I did a 5 round sight in. The first round on the bottom was a marker to see where it shot off the box. The next four was used to really zero it in at 100 yards.

Sighting in ACOG.jpg

After I sighted the ACOG in, I had fun shooting steel at 400 yards and nothing beats hearing that ping! The ACOG BDC worked as advertised and I made 5 out of 5 shots at 400 yards which is a new personal record for me. My goal is to eventually shoot from varying distances and then eventually try unknown distances using its hashmarks.

Its a great Optic that works excellently with the EBR.
    Last edited by LDO6490; 29th April 2021 at 08:57 PM.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sighting in ACOG and review

Quote Originally Posted by LDO6490 View Post

Truth is I struggle with Irons sometimes as the black irons blend in with the black bullseye and its hard to see if I am dead center on the dot;
    I suggest that your trouble is not with your eyesight but your hold, I have never had trouble with irons on an M14 or an M1, as far as I am concerned they are they are the only thing that one can depend on to hit what one is aiming at without depending on something that may have been jarred loose or have been bumped, I use a 6 o clock hold, I don't put my front sight (navy hold) in the black either, I'll even hold on the corner of the target frame and adjust my sights from there.
    Like in life and war, experience is everything!

I've never met a Lab I didn't like!

3. Thanks 4570govt, Wayne M, nf1e thanked for this post
    Section Leader
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trung Si View Post
    I suggest that your trouble is not with your eyesight but your hold, I have never had trouble with irons on an M14 or an M1, as far as I am concerned they are they are the only thing that one can depend on to hit what one is aiming at without depending on something that may have been jarred loose or have been bumped, I use a 6 o clock hold, I don't put my front sight (navy hold) in the black either, I'll even hold on the corner of the target frame and adjust my sights from there.
    Like in life and war, experience is everything!
    Like the “lollipop” hold? Like have my sight just touching the bottom of the black?

5. Thanks Wayne M thanked for this post
    Likes 4570govt, NMC_EXP, JEFFJP_N_JJ, luigi liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

6 o/c hold is having the tip of the front sight post touching the botton edge of the bull, or maintain a thin line of white between them. Sounds like lollipop. Your sights are adjusted to shoot high.

Navy hold is the tip of the front post is dead center in the bull. AKA center of mass hold. For me under certain light conditions Navy hold worked great - I could tell the difference between the black sight post and black bull. For me it works really well on the dirty bird target because it is glossy.

Speaking of glossy if you want to do well with irons "black" your front sight. Folks used to use a carbide fueled sight smoker. Others use a Birchwood Casey aerosol can product. Either way it puts a thin layer of soot on the front post and ears and kills all sun glare on the front sight which can really screw you up.

With iron sights aiming procedure has two main parts: (1) establish sight alignment: rear to front, then (2) establish sight picture: front post to bull. During initial aiming phase your focus shifts from post to bull. NOTE: when you begin to apply pressure to the trigger you must focus on the tip of the front post until the shot breaks. Its OK for the bull to be a little out of focus when it breaks. This does two things - more precision on target and it allows you to call your shot which is vital to making correct sight adjustments.

And with irons your head / eye position relative to the rear sight must be consistent shot to shot. Thats why the spot weld was common with the Garand and M14 in prone and sitting. The AR guys get far forward enough on the stock to touch the tip of the nose on the charging handle.

I started off 6 o/c and bull and front post were both sharp. When I hit 40 presbyopia set in and the front sight got blurry especially late in a match when the eyes were tired and groups opened up. I've had success with Bob Jones lenses in the rear NM hood. I've had success with special prescription lens in shooting glass frames. I'm going to have to look up the specs but depending on how long the sight radius is you add either +0.50 or +0.75 diopters to the normal sphere scrip. This tweak allows you to have a sharp front post and a fairly sharp bull.
    “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)

7. Thanks Wayne M, nf1e thanked for this post
    Likes nf1e, LDO6490, JEFFJP_N_JJ, polish29, Butzbach liked this post
    Section Leader
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much. This is great advice and gives me something to apply to improve my shooting with irons.

9. Likes NMC_EXP liked this post
    Designated Marksman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all the above for advice /comment. (additional comment) >>re Read shooting books regarding Eye Fatigue. especially for us over 45 yrs age. If you are visiting an eye MD. for annual check up, ask about eye fatigue timing, conditions, and avoidance. Keep using eye protection, and ear protection too.

11. Thanks VanHahner thanked for this post
    Likes JEFFJP_N_JJ, LDO6490, polish29 liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
    6 o/c hold is having the tip of the front sight post touching the botton edge of the bull, or maintain a thin line of white between them. Sounds like lollipop. Your sights are adjusted to shoot high.

Navy hold is the tip of the front post is dead center in the bull. AKA center of mass hold. For me under certain light conditions Navy hold worked great - I could tell the difference between the black sight post and black bull. For me it works really well on the dirty bird target because it is glossy.

Speaking of glossy if you want to do well with irons "black" your front sight. Folks used to use a carbide fueled sight smoker. Others use a Birchwood Casey aerosol can product. Either way it puts a thin layer of soot on the front post and ears and kills all sun glare on the front sight which can really screw you up.

With iron sights aiming procedure has two main parts: (1) establish sight alignment: rear to front, then (2) establish sight picture: front post to bull. During initial aiming phase your focus shifts from post to bull. NOTE: when you begin to apply pressure to the trigger you must focus on the tip of the front post until the shot breaks. Its OK for the bull to be a little out of focus when it breaks. This does two things - more precision on target and it allows you to call your shot which is vital to making correct sight adjustments.

And with irons your head / eye position relative to the rear sight must be consistent shot to shot. Thats why the spot weld was common with the Garand and M14 in prone and sitting. The AR guys get far forward enough on the stock to touch the tip of the nose on the charging handle.

I started off 6 o/c and bull and front post were both sharp. When I hit 40 presbyopia set in and the front sight got blurry especially late in a match when the eyes were tired and groups opened up. I've had success with Bob Jones lenses in the rear NM hood. I've had success with special prescription lens in shooting glass frames. I'm going to have to look up the specs but depending on how long the sight radius is you add either +0.50 or +0.75 diopters to the normal sphere scrip. This tweak allows you to have a sharp front post and a fairly sharp bull.
    My ear muffs interfere with my cheek weld on my SOCOM 16. I wear foam earplugs underneath as well. Is there a hands down best noise canceling earplug that I could use to get rid of my muffs?

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Trijicon is good stuff
    I’m very happy with my TA31F on my GTFOH rifle….
    On my honor,
    I will never betray my badge,
    my integrity, my character,
    or the public trust.
    I will always have
    the courage to hold myself
    and others accountable for our actions.
    I will always uphold the constitution,
    my community, and the agency I serve.

Regional Coordinator - Southeast Region
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NC C.C.H. Instructor