Dwight's Gunleather

8" Dirty Bird Challenge. Entries for May, 2021.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nf1e
    Administrator
    • Mar 2011

Re: 8" Dirty Bird Challenge. Entries for May, 2021.

1. 4570govt 100-4x
    2. JEFFJP_N_JJ 98-2x
    Sgt USMC
    RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

• 4570govt
      Administrator
      • Mar 2011

Good shooting Jeff!
      "Keep 'em in the 10 Ring!"

Comment

• JEFFJP_N_JJ
        Command Sgt Major
        • Jun 2020

Thanks 4570govt but need to figure out how to tighten my groups
        "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

"Whenever you fall... Pick something up." - Oswald Every
        Member M14 Battle Rifle Club
        Lifetime member NRA
        GOA Member

Comment

• GunnyG
          Platoon Sgt
          • Apr 2014

... need to figure out how to tighten my groups

I think you should start with a more sturdy bench. That one looks like it rocks forward and backward where the legs cross. Try adding a vertical leg in both front and back.
          Last edited by GunnyG; 18 May 2021, 10:19 PM.
          There were a lot worse places than Phu Bai and they weren't all in Viet Nam.
          sigpic

Comment

• NMC_EXP
            Platoon Sgt
            • May 2016

I think a guy who slings up and gets down in the dirt might be amazed at what he can shoot.

Understand - that is coming from a has been.
            “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)

Comment

• VanHahner
              Command Sgt Major
              • May 2011

Originally posted by GunnyG
              ... need to figure out how to tighten my groups

I think you should start with a more study bench. That one looks like it rocks forward and backward where the legs cross. Try adding a vertical leg in both front and back.
              + One !

SGT USMC 8541
              I CORPS 3rd MAR DIV
              RVN 67-68

Comment

• JEFFJP_N_JJ
                Command Sgt Major
                • Jun 2020

That one was bought for me by my late father in 2003 and he had my blue sand bags made up for me back then as well... I will continue to use it in his honor as he gave us kids guns very early in life
                "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

Lifetime member NRA
                GOA Member

Comment

• NMC_EXP
                  Platoon Sgt
                  • May 2016

Originally posted by JEFFJP_N_JJ
                  Out to work and shoot some this morning and shot these: First was the best as usual and got me a 98-2X with this loading off my old table I carry out with me...

IMI 7.62 x 51mm brass x 10/Thrown 42.5gr Varget/WMGLR primers/Hornady 155gr hpbt w/cannelure @ 2.80 coal:

Dirty Bird #1: Score: 98-2X Avg fps: 2647 ES: 89 SD: 30
                  Dirty Bird #2: Score: 97-3X Avg fps: 2629 ES: 67 SD: 19
                  Jeff

I say this with nothing but kindness in heart. You posted two targets, one had almost all hits right of centerline. The other had almost all hits left of centerline.

I'm not trying to bust your chops but do you see a trend there? The rear sights on an M14 are a precision device. If you see a group building and it is not in the center, turn the dials on the rear sight. The POI will move where you direct it to go.

And, pick out a load and stick with it so you can derive a solid iron sight zero.

Get your zero (yards, elev and wind) then write it down on blue painters tape and stick that on the underside of your buttplate.

Next time you go to the range (1) run your elevation to the bottom then count clicks up to your elevation zero. (2) run the windage to mechanical zero then count clicks left ot right to actual zero. Then shoot for score.

Trust the sights on the rifle. They are repeatible.

Jeff you can shoot great groups/scores. The details are in your way.

Pick a load, shoot that and establish a zero for that load. Then kick butt.
                  “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)

Comment

• JEFFJP_N_JJ
                    Command Sgt Major
                    • Jun 2020

Thanks NMC_EXP. I will get around to doing that one of these days and I just held a bit 'right' on my second target... That was the Dirty Bird loading I wanted to use but am down to my last lb of Varget and have collected up some StarLine brass x 9 that I may load up and re-zero to something else for a bit when I am out of those.

Have been usually shooting 20rds with my SAI Supermatch on the Dirty Birds before switching to my JAE Dot gun for the 10 Dot practice and am now wondering if the 20rds with irons messes up my eye's for the scope as cannot see the 1" dot clear at all after a second or two.

Lifetime member NRA
                    GOA Member

Comment

• NMC_EXP
                      Platoon Sgt
                      • May 2016

With irons you may be able to have a clear sight picture for a brief period of time, then either the front post or the bull fades completely out.

I have struggled with that for years.

For me in slow prone it was I had sharp focus on both front post and bull for just a few seconds, then the front post would fade to nothing. That got me trained to shoot fast while I could still see the front post. Now with a good shooting glass scrip I can see the front post for a long time. But the old habit of shooting fast when the front post was clear is still with me. That translates to poor trigger control and bad shots.

I know what is going on but so far cannot break that bad habit.

So Jeff you are being lectured by a loser. Take it for what it's worth and know I mean only the best.

Comment

• GunnyG
                        Platoon Sgt
                        • Apr 2014

... more study bench.

That was supposed to be sturdy instead of study. I say that because both targets show marked vertical stringing.

If your vertical dispersion were the same as your horizontal dispersion, you would have 100's with lots of X's.
                        There were a lot worse places than Phu Bai and they weren't all in Viet Nam.
                        sigpic

Comment

• JEFFJP_N_JJ
                          Command Sgt Major
                          • Jun 2020

Thanks GunnyG!
                          I was wondering about that to with the groups I shot with my JAE Dot gun off my bench scoped after the dirty birds...
                          Attached Files

Lifetime member NRA
                          GOA Member

Comment

• nf1e
                            Administrator
                            • Mar 2011

Ok you eagle eyes have shamed me into it. My first entry in the Dirty Bird iron sight challenge. Rifle is TRW/Bula, Bula stnd chrome lined barrel, unitized gas system, USGI sights front and rear, trigger group has a Shootingsight lightened hammer and EBR trigger. Stock is a heavy laminated that I just bought used recently. Shot off bipod and rear bag, no rest for this one. Looks like a 99 - 3x to these old eyes. A couple of hits were close to Xs, but this ain't horse shoes or hand grenades.

Dirty bird 5 21 21.jpgLaminate 3.jpg
                            Sgt USMC
                            RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

• nf1e
                              Administrator
                              • Mar 2011

1. 4570govt 100-4x
                              2. NF1E 99-3x
                              3. JEFFJP_N_JJ 98-2x
                              Sgt USMC
                              RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

• 4570govt
                                Administrator
                                • Mar 2011

Good shooting, Art! Nice looking stock too!
                                "Keep 'em in the 10 Ring!"

Comment

Working...