Due to multiple attempts by spammers to infiltrate our community, all new members will need to be approved by an admin. This usually will only take a short while so please be patient.
Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island smithenterprise.com buladefense.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca The M14 Rifle Association HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Machinegun Books
Thanks Thanks:  52
Likes Likes:  59
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: If these stocks could talk

Squad Leader
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If these stocks could talk

I forgot to post these period pictures of M14 rifles wearing the T-4 cheek pads and M84 scopes. 1st picture is of Ed Avila, former owner of AR15.com. May he rest in peace. In the past folks have posted the pic and another and said taken in Nam. However, I PMed him several times regarding the 2 pics out there and he asked that whenever I use his pics to state that they were taken at Fort Bragg, during training, and that he was not a "sniper" but a designated marksman and that rifle DID go with him to Vietnam and was used for missions that required it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by M1Sniper; 5th July 2021 at 03:20 PM.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of the hundreds of stocks that have gone through my shop, I have never seen any stocks like that. Thanks for posting! I've made this a sticky!
    Semper-Fi! Hawk
    USMC 71-73

Life Member 3rd Mar Div Assoc.
    Life Member DAV
    Life Member M14RA (President)

Aim small.....Miss small!

Sparrowhawkm14dotcom Home of Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits(TM) and more

3. Thanks chief on one, M1Sniper, Pat C. thanked for this post
    Likes VanHahner, M1Sniper, Pat C., The Once-Ler liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work RB , I wish I would have picked up one of those that Jack Daily had listed nearly 20 years ago .

5. Thanks Hawk thanked for this post
    Likes Hawk liked this post
    Designated Marksman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like this post. Very neat old wood stocks that have a lot of character. I don't have much to add, but one of the principle M14 match armorers at Crane in the 1970s-80s was the guy named in this excerpt. Unfortunately he has since passed away, but its possible that he might have bedded some of those stocks back in day...

"The Navy DM rifles were built at Crane by the Match armorers. The wood stocked rifles were done by Neville "Snuffy" Smith and the fiberglass ones by Paul "Dobber" Burdette. I will upload a bunch of the pictures to a Flickr album and send you the link. They were done years apart. The wood-stocked ones in the mid-80s and the McMillans in the late 80s. I remember seeing a couple of the NSW M14 sniper rifles on the Navy Match armorer van at Dam Neck. They had been heavily modified to fit the shooters that used them. One of them actually had a piece of wood fiberglassed on top of the comb that wad covered in moleskin as a cheekrest."
    ...just an fyi. My contact at Crane is probably retiring early next year, but I could inquire if you had a specific question.

"Two of the heavy Walnut SA stocks have 2 holes each drilled into them between the heel of the pistol grip and the lower sling swivel.
    Very good chance that those 2 stocks at one time sported rifles that wore the Army Weapons Command (AWC) scope mount and M84 scope that mounts off to the left side of the receiver. To help with cheek weld, T-4 leather cheek pads, as used on M1C and M1D sniper Garands, were used on these early sniper rifle experiments."
    Wow. I have an M1 stock with the holes for my M1C rifle, but never thought I'd see an M14 stock with the two holes drilled on the bottom. Yep, that stock is something I could use....so if you decide you can live without that nice heavy SA stock with the 2 holes, please let me know as I bought this last year on eBay, and it would be super neat to restore that stock on a replica of an early M14 sniper with the AWC/M84 set-up. Of course a 1969 dated T-4 pad would be prefect with my 1969 dated Saco-Lowell NM barrel...

...and for display purposes I got a late 1960's era PVS-3A with M14 mount. It's non-functional, but still kind-of neat, and a PVS-3A is something that the Navy could have used in the 1970s.

(I know you have a leather fetish, but 19 T-4 cheek pads is quite a lot(!). Maybe we can trade something if you can live without that 1969 pad?...that year has significance to me)

I can't recall where, but I seem to remember long rivets offered by a vendor, but might have been regular threaded screws. Does M1Army/Wes have a source?
    Last edited by Random Guy; 15th July 2021 at 04:38 PM.

7. Thanks wrwindsor, M1Sniper thanked for this post
    Likes The Once-Ler, M1Sniper liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
    I really like this post. Very neat old wood stocks that have a lot of character. I don't have much to add, but one of the principle M14 match armorers at Crane in the 1970-80s was the guy named in this excerpt. Unfortunately he has since passed away, but its possible that he might have bedded some of those stocks back in day...

...just an fyi. My contact at Crane is probably retiring early next year, but I could inquire if you had a specific question.

Wow. I have an M1 stock with the holes for my M1C rifle, but never thought I'd see an M14 stock with the two holes drilled on the bottom. Yep, that stock is something I could use....so if you decide you can live without that nice heavy SA stock with the 2 holes, please let me know as I bought this last year on eBay, and it would be super neat to restore that stock on a replica of an early M14 sniper with the AWC/M84 set-up. Of course a 1969 dated T-4 pad would be prefect with my 1969 dated Saco-Lowell NM barrel...

https://i.imgur.com/4JD7VkH.jpg?1

...and for display purposes I got a late 1960's era PVS-3A with M14 mount. It's non-functional, but still kind-of neat, and a PVS-3A is something that the Navy could have used in the 1970s.
    https://i.imgur.com/L1EgNpw.jpg?1

(I know you have a leather fetish, but 19 T-4 cheek pads is quite a lot(!). Maybe we can trade something if you can live without that 1969 pad?...that year has significance to me)

I can't recall where, but I seem to remember long rivets offered by a vendor, but might have been regular threaded screws. Does M1Army/Wes have a source?
    I had purchase just a couple of long steel rivets;; and cut them down to just about 3/16 above the burrs ; after installing them in re-doing a big red stock;; I used a small 5 lb. ball peen hammer and a home made rivet setter. And hit very lightly so as not to crack the stock. You might find rivets you are looking for on this site "" BRETTUNSVILLAGE.COM. ;; SUB SECTION == leather Craft Accessories and Parts.

9. Thanks M1Sniper thanked for this post
    Squad Leader
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a rifle I put together that I named "ole skool 2 fer". Using a JRA/BULA/SA heeled receiver. If SA made roughly the same # of receivers each month, Jan to Jan, the SN per contract would placed it late in the 3rd quarter of 1962. Barrel is an original SA NM dated 12/62. It is built as a replica of a SA factory built NM rifle using only what would have been on late 62,early 63 NM rifles from the factory per my chats with Ted Brown who was kind enough to share as many details as he could regarding NOS TRW NM rifles his state shooting team was given.. And because I had one, for the rear sight, I used what would have been a regular Garand NM marked (on the right side) base that the "U" channel was then cut deeper to accept the hooded aperture, then roll marked NM/2 on the left side. Per Lee, the hooded apertures came out in early 63. The stock I'll be using when I'm finished restoring it will be that 7791174 stock. Per Lee when I told him of all the NM stocks I have to choose from, he felt that one will represent that 62/63 era best.
    The hand guard I'm using is an early solid one that is marked DT-1 and also SA
    I then put together a set of all parts that could/would have been modified to NM specs from the 63 to 67 time frame and add to them my AWC/M84 set, one of the stocks with the 2 holes will be painted in a camo scheme like the WP rifle and will add one of my 1962 dated T-4 pads. Wa-laa, "ole skool 2 fer".
    Last edited by M1Sniper; 17th July 2021 at 11:56 AM.

11. Thanks Pat C. thanked for this post
    Likes Pat C. liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea what all that stuff means M1Sniper BUT I do love to see all your guys projects!
    "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

"Whenever you fall... Pick something up." - Oswald Every

Lifetime member NRA
    GOA Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2