X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hawk
    Owner / Administrator
    • Mar 2011

Re: the other forum

I know that our software is old style, but, it works for us and we really have some good dedicated people here.
    I'm very thankful for the quality of character our characters have.
    Semper-Fi! Hawk
    ....USMC 71-73

Life Member 3rd Mar Div Assoc.
    Life Member DAV
    Life Member World Warrior Alliance
    Life Member Shorinjiryu Shinzen Kyokai
    Life Member Peaceful Mountain Tanzan Ryu

Aim small.....Miss small!

Creator of the SparrowHawkM14 "Original" M14 Dummy Kit.TM
    Co-Creator of the "Original" M14 Forum

Comment

• JEFFJP_N_JJ
      Command Sgt Major
      • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Hawk
      I know that our software is old style, but, it works for us and we really have some good dedicated people here.
      Thanks Hawk!
      I still use me an 'old school' flip phone with no GPS tracking...
      "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

"Whenever you fall... Pick something up." - Oswald Every
      Member M14 Battle Rifle Club
      Lifetime member NRA
      GOA Member

Comment

• Mud Pie
        First Shirt
        • Jun 2020

And a hearty tip o the lid from all of us for not bending to the pressure you are undoubtedly getting from your provider for "time to upgrade !! It's better !! It's safer !! It's faster !!". They don't realize that the majority of us are old and we play with old rifles. We good.

Yeah, this software format looks old, but so does my wife. I don't see the need to replace either... lol

I know you're prideful and you keep this ship afloat out of your own pocket, but I can guarantee you if you ever need a hand, the majority of us will gladly kick in no questions asked, no thanks needed. If you get too much, hey, no biggie, pay it ahead if you want or go get a good meal on us, no harm, no foul. You've earned it. Because of you we all have a place to visit, we don't mind covering the light bill.

It doesn't have to be a membership, per se, just kindred spirits assisting each other. No "brag tags" under our screen names like "Contributor" so everyone knows you kicked in. Not necessary and too braggadocios.
        The older I get, the more I realize "life in prison" is not that much of a deterrent.

Member M14 Rifle Club Advisory Committee

Comment

• NMC_EXP
          Platoon Sgt
          • May 2016

As to your softwarw format looking "old" I say BS.

The software that drives this forum is just flat out slick. My connection to the web is just plain primitive and slow. With that in mind M14BR loads faster and responds quicker than any of the other websites I visit.

Do not change anything Hawk. What you have here is a treasure.

P.S. please do nor sell your site to VerticalScope or one of it's minions.

Thanks and best regarrds.

Jim
          “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)

Comment

• NMC_EXP
            Platoon Sgt
            • May 2016

Hawk

"Style" has nothing to do with it as least as far as I'm concerned. You just keep on keeping on and it waill all be good.

I have a slow system and M14Br loads and operates faster than any other forum I regularly hang out on.

I predict that any change you make so the forum is more "modern" will make it near impossible for me to access.

If so, I'll be history.
            “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (The Book of the Springfield)

Comment

• NMC_EXP
              Platoon Sgt
              • May 2016

Hawk

"Style" has nothing to do with it as least as far as I'm concerned. You just keep on keeping on and it waill all be good.

I have a slow system and M14Br loads and operates faster than any other forum I regularly hang out on.

I predict that any change you make so the forum is more "modern" will make it near impossible for me to access.

If so, I'll be history.

File that under "for what it's worth."

Comment

• Hawk
                Owner / Administrator
                • Mar 2011

No worries. I will keep this software until there is a necessity for a upgraded version. AND.... I have no plans on EVER selling this forum. When I can no longer run it, I will give it over to a trustworthy staff member with the same "vision" we have had since day one on the old forum.
                Semper-Fi! Hawk
                ....USMC 71-73

Life Member 3rd Mar Div Assoc.
                Life Member DAV
                Life Member World Warrior Alliance
                Life Member Shorinjiryu Shinzen Kyokai
                Life Member Peaceful Mountain Tanzan Ryu

Aim small.....Miss small!

Creator of the SparrowHawkM14 "Original" M14 Dummy Kit.TM
                Co-Creator of the "Original" M14 Forum

Comment

• geardoc
                  Squad Leader
                  • Nov 2017

No worries. I will keep this software until there is a necessity for a upgraded version. AND.... I have no plans on EVER selling this forum. When I can no longer run it, I will give it over to a trustworthy staff member with the same "vision" we have had since day one on the old forum.
                  Thank you.

Comment

• Jim11B20
                    Platoon Sgt
                    • Jun 2020

Originally posted by oseto317
                    Haven't really been on the other forum since the format change. Guess I'm not missing much.

Now if only I could find time to make it out to the range.
                    Same here. I left the day they started the "new" look. I like it better here anyways.
                    When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

FBI=Gestapo DHS=KGB BATF=SS

Comment

• Trung Si
                      Chief Range Officer
                      • Mar 2011

I left because that phony Larue really pi$$d me off, he was a fraud and screwed up that site bigtime and some of his a$$kissers are still running the site, I read there sometimes for pure comical entertainment but I won't post there even if someone paid me to do it.
                      I guess only some old timers know who I mean by Larue.

I've never met a Lab I didn't like!

Comment

• JEFFJP_N_JJ
                        Command Sgt Major
                        • Jun 2020

I have no clue but agree with your assessment
                        "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

"Whenever you fall... Pick something up." - Oswald Every
                        Lifetime member NRA
                        GOA Member

Comment

• Mud Pie
                          First Shirt
                          • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Trung Si
                          I left because that phony Larue really pi$$d me off, he was a fraud and screwed up that site bigtime and some of his a$$kissers are still running the site, I read there sometimes for pure comical entertainment but I won't post there even if someone paid me to do it.
                          I guess only some old timers know who I mean by Larue.
                          The only name that comes to mind is Lash Larue, but that was before my time....
                          The older I get, the more I realize "life in prison" is not that much of a deterrent.

Member M14 Rifle Club Advisory Committee

Comment

• Trung Si
                            Chief Range Officer
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Mud Pie
                            The only name that comes to mind is Lash Larue, but that was before my time....
                            You got it!

I've never met a Lab I didn't like!

Comment

• Tarheel Trooper
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2011

Ding ding

Winner winner catfish dinner….

Lash Larue….
                              EVERY DAY IS LEG DAY, GET UP, GET OUT, AND LIFT HEAVY!!!

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
                              NC C.C.H. Instructor

"The Artist Formally Known As Shadow"

Comment

• geardoc
                                Squad Leader
                                • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Jim11B20
                                Same here. I left the day they started the "new" look. I like it better here anyways.
                                I already had an account here. It was deafening to hear the silence from support.

Google has a new implementation in their picture software that reads text, whether it is written "Western" style left to right or flipped several rotations.

In addition the Google Pic feature that they impemented in with that site software will look for "items similar to the picture you are uploading"- I'm paraphrasing. I was not going to agree to do that with my main gmail account, so I have a backup that I just use for storage and I didn't agree to it. I did do a test to see if the feature is truly "passive". Just logged into my Storage Account, I put in some pictures of a 1968 Roadrunner grille, and a 1972 Charger grille and 1972 Charger non-SE Headlight bezels. Guess'em what'em ? I got suggestions for AMD retailers, etc...

I think even if you opt out, you're probably opted in if you Google something or just store an image or email one.

Comment

Working...