Dwight's Gunleather

How many of you are in states that do not allow flash suppressors or Muzzle brakes?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hawk
    Owner / Administrator
    • Mar 2011

How many of you are in states that do not allow flash suppressors or Muzzle brakes?

Here in NYistan, one is not allowed to have a flash hider or muzzle brake on their semi-automatic rifles. Barrels on those rifles also aren't allowed to have threads on the end of the barrel.

There is a work'around for that which will allow "the look".

So how does one "legally" install a flash hider or muzzle brake to their non-threaded barrel?

What I did to "comply" with the law is to have my flash hiders "sleeved" so that they are really just a barrel extension. This is done by rilling out the flash hider and press fitting a sleeve into it that is again drilled out to allow a bullet to pass through un-obstructed. Pfc Thomas did mine and did a mighty fine job.

So you might ask how is the flash hider attached to the non-threaded barrel?

The flash hider is drilled and tapped for an allen screw down through the top of the flash hider beneath the front sight. This requires drilling through the castle nut and tapping that out also. The allen screw fastens right through the castle nut and onto the barrel. The best way is to once installed, with the screw out, mark the barrel in order to drill a dimple into the barrel so that when the allen screw is tightened, the flash hider won't be blown off the end of the barrel. Once the front sight is installed, the allen screw isn't visible.

An additional option is to drill through the flat where the bayo lug has been milled off and be tapped for an additional allen screw. This allen screw would be visible after the flash hider is installed. If your state allows the bayo lug, the hole can be drilled and tapped right through the bayo lug. Again, a dimple should be drilled into the barrel.

Mine were done "expertly" by Pfc Thomas.

I believe I have one that is in my parts box. If I do, I will take a pic or two.
    Semper-Fi! Hawk
    Pfc USMC 3371 71-73
    3rd FSSR Okinawa 72-73

Life Member 3rd Mar Div Assoc.
    Life Member DAV
    Life Member World Warrior Alliance
    Life Member Shorinjiryu Shinzen Kyokai
    Life Member Peaceful Mountain Tanzan Ryu

Aim small.....Miss small!

Creator of the SparrowHawkM14 "Original" M14 Dummy Kit.TM
    Creator and former owner of the "Original" M14 Forum
  • Tarheel Trooper
    Administrator
    • Apr 2011

Re: How many of you are in states that do not allow flash suppressors or Muzzle brake

Nope, we are free for now, anyways. But we are rapidly spiraling into oblivion here in NC
    EVERY DAY IS LEG DAY, GET UP, GET OUT, AND LIFT HEAVY!!!

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NC C.C.H. Instructor

"The Artist Formally Known As Shadow"

Comment

• Tarheel Trooper
      Administrator
      • Apr 2011

Re: How many of you are in states that do not allow flash suppressors or Muzzle brake

I went back and read the OP. yea man that's pretty cool. I would love to see pics.... sorta like a Chinese fake suppressor....

NC C.C.H. Instructor

Comment

• Sailormilan2
        Designated Marksman
        • Nov 2013

Here in CA, we're not allowed Flash Suppressors, but we can have Brakes. Threaded barrel is not an issue on rifles, but it is one on pistols. Also, in order for a Flash Suppressor to be in issue on a rifle, the rifle must be a "semiautomatic centerfire" and must have a detachable magazine. So, 22lrs and Garands are not affected.

Comment

• nf1e
          Administrator
          • Mar 2011

Obviously this is a big " No Comment" good buddy.
          Sgt USMC
          RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

• luigi
            Section Leader
            • Nov 2012

No restrictions here in the old free south! I do wish we could get surplus rpg's and mortars for those packs of feral hogs.

Comment

• Pat C.
              First Shirt
              • Jun 2020

Some of the ones I've seen are blind hole pinned and Tig weld tacked or silver brazed to barrel. Pretty much permanant. I like the "Do no harm method" ,Pfc Thomas is good people!!

Comment

• renisin
                Section Leader
                • Nov 2013

Here in Kentucky there is no such limitation. Kentucky is one of those places liberals pass through but don’t stay, I guess we don’t have enough Starbucks locations.

Sorry for the folks who have to put up with such nonsense.

REN

Comment

• Hawk
                  Owner / Administrator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Sailormilan2
                  Here in CA, we're not allowed Flash Suppressors, but we can have Brakes. Threaded barrel is not an issue on rifles, but it is one on pistols. Also, in order for a Flash Suppressor to be in issue on a rifle, the rifle must be a "semiautomatic centerfire" and must have a detachable magazine. So, 22lrs and Garands are not affected.
                  You could feasibly create a muzzle brake using the same method. In the sleeve, holes could be drilled in between the tines which would release pressure all the while looking like a flash hider.

Also: I wish that someone could set up a go pro below a target and record the flash of a real USGI flash hider in the dark to show just how the flash hider is visible from the front of the muzzle.
                  Semper-Fi! Hawk
                  Pfc USMC 3371 71-73
                  3rd FSSR Okinawa 72-73

Life Member 3rd Mar Div Assoc.
                  Life Member DAV
                  Life Member World Warrior Alliance
                  Life Member Shorinjiryu Shinzen Kyokai
                  Life Member Peaceful Mountain Tanzan Ryu

Aim small.....Miss small!

Creator of the SparrowHawkM14 "Original" M14 Dummy Kit.TM
                  Creator and former owner of the "Original" M14 Forum

Comment

• Tarheel Trooper
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2011

Hey boss there are tons on YouTube
                    I’ll try to find some of the better ones…and post the links

NC C.C.H. Instructor

Comment

• Tarheel Trooper
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2011

Here is a good one…

NC C.C.H. Instructor

Comment

• LDO6490
                        Platoon Sgt
                        • May 2020

Originally posted by renisin
                        Here in Kentucky there is no such limitation. Kentucky is one of those places liberals pass through but don’t stay, I guess we don’t have enough Starbucks locations.

Sorry for the folks who have to put up with such nonsense.

REN

Louisville is pretty liberal
                        3rd Place 2021 Spring Fling

Comment

• Trung Si
                          Chief Range Officer
                          • Mar 2011

I am not, thank God!
                          Member M14 Battle Rifle Club

I've never met a Lab I didn't like!

Comment

• Dwight55
                            M14BR Chaplain
                            • Mar 2011

Ohio is so far "free" . . . and because we have a pretty big population outside of Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton, and Toledo . . . we may stay that way for a while.

The 3 c's are blue as can be . . . Columbus having a reputation as being the San Francisco of the East.

But then again . . . I'm on my 10 acres up here . . . near the reservoir . . . and there are boating accidents on there all the time.

May God bless,
                            Dwight
                            If you can breathe, . . . thank God
                            If you can read, . . . thank a teacher
                            If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran
                            sigpic

Comment

• Gary8907
                              Designated Marksman
                              • Feb 2021

Does anyone think that any of the snowflake cowards that write, and pass, these insane laws have ever even fired a weapon ?? I think not !!!
                              Last edited by Gary8907; 23 August 2021, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Working...