Attention New Members! All new members will need to be approved by an admin. This usually will only take a short while so please be patient. If you are joining in order to spam our forum, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME! You won't see the light of day as we have systems in place to catch you before you ever reach the approval level and you will be banned. If you registered and are banned and feel our system incorrectly banned you as a spammer, please contact Hawk via the contact us link at the bottom of the forum and we'll discuss it.
Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island smithenterprise.com buladefense.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca The M14 Rifle Association HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Machinegun Books
Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: en bloc/ammo issues

Fire Team Leader
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

en bloc/ammo issues

ok i know ppu ammo and aec 3 clips are hit or miss. and i know jmo clips have issues.
    attached is a photo showing different extractor grooves in 30-06 brass and explains some of the issues.
    but how does ppu ammo compare to these 3? and how does .308/7.62x51 brass compare to these?

I have:
    ppu 30-06
    winchester super X 30-06
    Malaysian 7.62x51
    s&b 7.62x51
    ppu 7.62x51
    pmc .308

but nothing to compare to the 3 in the photo. can somebody help with a visual to compare say the hpx to lc to any one of these?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks VanHahner thanked for this post
    Likes 4570govt liked this post
    FNG
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: en bloc/ammo issues

pretty long thread here on the HXP clip issue:
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=162658

personally, I use BW enblocs and have no issues with either LC, HXP, Rem, WIN cases. The PPU seems to have the small groove extractor cut similar to pre 1970 HXP and earlier USGI rounds

4. Likes migunshooter liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of enbloc clips, (hundreds) the ones That I have looked at are all unmarked and have never encountered any problem shooting any ammunition for over 40 years now!

I've never met a Lab I didn't like!

6. Thanks 4570govt thanked for this post
    Rifleman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Euro Clips are known to be setup for the bigger extractor rim cut of the 7.62 NATO ammo which most HXP is - which means they don't fit the standard old school .30/06 rounds perfectly. Known issue, segregate your ammo and clips by type and I think the problems go away. Just my understanding - mostly shoot US .30-06, don't have a .308 Garand. CC

8. Likes migunshooter liked this post
    Fire Team Leader
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I did look a little more closely at the fit of the ammo. The small extractor groove ammo in the later NATO clips, when i measure the width of the brass with 8rd in the clip at the edge of the clip measures .040-.045 wider than the same ammo in ww2 clips. The later clips with 7.62 ammo measure the same width as the ww2 clipped ammo.
    so its time to start sorting clips..

Designated Marksman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Use only USGI enblocs and you will have no issues

11. Thanks 4570govt thanked for this post
    Fire Team Leader
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

i have found that the AEC 3 enblocs work fine with 7.62x51 which is what i will use them with. i have enough USGI enblocs to use with 30-06. the odd part is it is one rifle that gives me issues, i have several that run fine with the AEC 3 enblocs. But the one with the issue will FTF the 7th round almost every time. i even went as far as to move all the internals from another rifle with no issue to the problem child with no luck.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by migunshooter View Post
    i have found that the AEC 3 enblocs work fine with 7.62x51 which is what i will use them with. i have enough USGI enblocs to use with 30-06. the odd part is it is one rifle that gives me issues, i have several that run fine with the AEC 3 enblocs. But the one with the issue will FTF the 7th round almost every time. i even went as far as to move all the internals from another rifle with no issue to the problem child with no luck.
    AEC 3 is a commercial version and should work well with 7.62X51.

I've never met a Lab I didn't like!