Attention New Members! All new members will need to be approved by an admin. This usually will only take a short while so please be patient. If you are joining in order to spam our forum, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME! You won't see the light of day as we have systems in place to catch you before you ever reach the approval level and you will be banned. If you registered and are banned and feel our system incorrectly banned you as a spammer, please contact Hawk via the contact us link at the bottom of the forum and we'll discuss it.
Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits MandMini14.com LRB Arms of Long Island smithenterprise.com buladefense.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca The M14 Rifle Association HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl Dwight's Gunleather Machinegun Books
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: SAI aluminum mount

Rifleman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

SAI aluminum mount

Hey there all. I recently bought an arms 18 mount and it appears that my receiver is out of spec, as the mount was canted to the left. My question is can the 4th gen aluminum mount be conformed to fit my receiver? Will I still have troubles if I go with their steel version? I like the look/idea of the split rail rather than a full rail. I have looked into the sadlak but they don donít have a split rail design.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SAI aluminum mount

I think what you are asking;; only you will know when you buy it and try it. that is the only way that i know.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Also ; how do you tell if it a GEN 1; 2 ;3 ; or 4 ???? I have one of these mounts ; just do not know what GEN ??? and I don't need it !!

Rifleman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the 4th gen mount are split rail and the other ms are solid.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garandtom View Post
    I believe the 4th gen mount are split rail and the other ms are solid.
    If that is a fact; than i have a 4th.

Rifleman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I read on some M14 site that Glenn Nelson, a Master M14 NM Armorer, when brought an aluminum mount to attach to an M1A, would attach it and then whale on it with a large soft brass hammer, keeping the screw tight - until it "conformed" and settled into the grooves. (I would assume the receiver was supported in such a way as to prevent deformation/damage during the "forming".) As I recall he stated that that mount was PERMANENTLY Mated to that Receiver, but would work fine. Kind of a limited "cold forging" of aluminum to steel, if you will.

Not vouching for the method, just reporting an interesting story that just might be another approach (by a respected M14 Smith) to getting things to "fit" on the non-standard receiver.

As for "Generations" of Springfield Armory Mounts, here is what I understand just from being around a long time:

1st Gen: Single Screw, possibly Weaver or "compromise" rail.

2nd Gen: Copy of Leatherwood Industries Steel Mount in Aluminum - only two cross slots, Weaver, (originally for ART II QD Scope) with second screw and replacement clip guide.

3rd Gen: Similar to 2nd Gen Two Screw, but regular Picatinny Rail, not Weaver, so more cross slots. Blanked an inch or so in the middle.

4th Gen: Split Rail

Corrections welcome - just from memory.
    CC
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 12th September 2021 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Generations, wrong name

FNG
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
    I read on some M14 site that Hook Boultin (sp?), a Master M14 NM Armorer, when brought an aluminum mount to attach to an M1A, would attach it and then whale on it with a large soft brass hammer, keeping the screw tight - until it "conformed" and settled into the grooves. (I would assume the receiver was supported in such a way as to prevent deformation/damage during the "forming".) As I recall he stated that that mount was PERMANENTLY Mated to that Receiver, but would work fine. Kind of a limited "cold forging" of aluminum to steel, if you will.

Not vouching for the method, just reporting an interesting story that just might be another approach (by a respected M14 Smith) to getting things to "fit" on the non-standard receiver.

As for "Generations" of Springfield Armory Mounts, here is what I understand just from being around a long time:

1st Gen: Single Screw, possibly Weaver or "compromise" rail.

2nd Gen: Copy of Leatherwood Industries Steel Mount in Aluminum - only two cross slots, Weaver, (originally for ART II QD Scope) with second screw and replacement clip guide.

3rd Gen: Similar to 2nd Gen Two Screw, but regular Picatinny Rail, not Weaver, so more cross slots. Blanked an inch or so in the middle.

4th Gen: Split Rail

Corrections welcome - just from memory.
    CC
    There is a video on the SAI website of a scope mount being installed and the hammer used as you described.

Rifleman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mad Trapper - I need to spend more time on manufacturers websites, obviously! CC

FNG
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
    Thanks, Mad Trapper - I need to spend more time on manufacturers websites, obviously! CC
    They seem to "take a set" when first installed as above. That's why I'd be leery of putting a used one on a different rifle, it's already been mated to the 1st receiver.

I've taken one off, and reinstalled w/scope. Was not dead nuts zero but close, ~ 1 MOA off. Have to be careful to align "the set".
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 12th September 2021 at 07:01 PM.