X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JEFFJP_N_JJ
    Command Sgt Major
    • Jun 2020

Question on cleaning a .45 ACP

How often do you guys clean your pistols?
    Do coated bullets help with cleaning?
    Are jacketed bullets more accurate?
    "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

"Whenever you fall... Pick something up." - Oswald Every
    Member M14 Battle Rifle Club
    Lifetime member NRA
    GOA Member

• GunnyG
    Platoon Sgt
    • Apr 2014

Re: Question on cleaning a .45 ACP

How often do you guys clean your pistols?

About every hundred rounds. I do lube after each shooting session.

Do coated bullets help with cleaning?

What is the coating? Moly helps but that seems to be out of favor these days.

Are jacketed bullets more accurate?

Good jacketed bullets are better than plain lead bullets and don't leave any leading. They do leave copper but that comes out with normal bore solvents.
    There were a lot worse places than Phu Bai and they weren't all in Viet Nam.
    sigpic

Comment

• blkgunlvr
      First Shirt
      • Apr 2013

I keep them lubricated and exteriors wiped with protectives like Remoil, Barricade or CLP. Not too anal about cleaning, but it gets done every 500 rounds or so. I primarily shoot jacketed or plated bullets (Glocks specifically recommend against plain lead bullets).
      Last edited by blkgunlvr; 17 February 2022, 11:03 PM.

Navy nuke submariner 70-76 M14BR Member
      NRA Life Benefactor, USPSA Life, NSCA Life, GOA, NAGR, FPC, etc.

Comment

• nf1e
        Administrator
        • Mar 2011

What blkgunlvr said.
        Sgt USMC
        RVN 67-68 I Corps

Comment

• JEFFJP_N_JJ
          Command Sgt Major
          • Jun 2020

I have been shooting these and do not know what the coating is. They seem like a soft lead coated bullet? Would hard cast or jacketed be more accurate?
          Attached Files
          "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

Lifetime member NRA
          GOA Member

Comment

• Iron Major USMC
            Section Leader
            • Sep 2021

I guess I'm "old fashioned" and follow Marine Corps rules on cleaning weapons -- after every live fire shoot. And all I use is CLP and the cleaning gear (rods, brushes, etc.) appropriate for the weapon.
            "A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life."
            marfg1

Comment

• 58COOP
              Platoon Sgt
              • Jun 2020

Those look like the new fangled powder coating. Federal has a factory loading for the 9mm out called Syntec. The powder coating replaces the need for lube in lead cast bullets.
              Are they more accurate? I think that depends on how accurate the gun is and the person behind the trigger and a proven load.
              Only way to really find out is to bench the gun with different loads.
              Several speed steel shooters at our club now powder coat there bullets. I'm still doing the lube and size method. And now using a bullet that I tumble lube in my 38/357's.
              M14BR Member
              NRA Endowment
              GOA Member
              OFF Member

Comment

• VanHahner
                Command Sgt Major
                • May 2011

Originally posted by blkgunlvr
                Not too anal about cleaning, but it gets done every 500 rounds or so. I primarily shoot jacketed ...
                Same here !

SGT USMC 8541
                I CORPS 3rd MAR DIV
                RVN 67-68

Comment

• Mud Pie
                  First Shirt
                  • Jun 2020

Cleaning schedule has been debated probably ever since a firearm was invented....

I start with a clean weapon and I put away a clean weapon. Before every range session, I pull a dry patch down the barrel and lightly re-lube friction areas. After every range session I break it down and clean it, re-lube it and pull a wet patch down the barrel.

My Colt Combat Commander was purchased by my Dad in 1980, 42 years ago and has never once failed me or is "worn out" from cleaning after every range session. Accuracy hasn't suffered. During my last license renewal, you are required to qualify with 50 rounds. After my 2nd mag, the instructor said I can go sit down if I want. All rounds were touching center bull, one big hole.

I cannot see the logic of putting away a dirty weapon. It's all a matter of personal opinion that will never be truly "solved".
                  The older I get, the more I realize "life in prison" is not that much of a deterrent.

Comment

• Jim11B20
                    Platoon Sgt
                    • Jun 2020

I clean my handguns after very range trip. My rifles get the bolt/chamber area brushed out but I don't do the bores until the end of the shooting season. Everything gets oiled and wiped down to prevent rust.

On the subject of bullets, my Ruger 44 is more accurate with my cast bullets than with ANY jacketed bullet I've loaded in it. In any instance fit is king. If you're shooting a slightly undersized bullet, especially in a revolver, you'll have leading and terrible accuracy. Too hard a bullet for the application can also cause leading. In most handguns a BHN (Brinnel hardness) between 11-15 is best. That's wheel weights up to Lyman #2 alloy.

For lube, there are several options out there. The coating you're referring to is similar to powder coating. HY Tek is used by Missouri Bullet and Acme Bullet companies. I've used both and they seem to work well. They're a lot less smoky than traditional lubes and clean up like jacketed loads. I really liked Rainer bullets until they closed and I use several Berry's bullets now for bullets I don't cast.

I'm in the process now of working up a load for my new Kimber Custom 1911 using cast bullets. So far the Lee 230 grain Truncated Cone is shooting slightly better than the Berry 230 Round Nose. I shot a few of the coated bullets from Acme and they did well too. I'm not bashful about trying different bullets to find what a gun likes. I've found seating depth makes a big difference in a semi auto. Rounds that chamber great in my Springfield Ultra Compact 3 1/2" carry gun jam in my Kimber unless I shorten the OAL by .030. Don't be hesitant to experiment.

As far as cleaning, the different coated, plated and jacketed bullets all clean up pretty much the same. If you use a well fitted cast bullet clean up is very similar. The problem with cast is if the bullet is undersized, too hard for the pressure the powder is producing or wrong/insufficient lube. Now you will get leading in the barrel and that can be a bear to clean out.
                    Last edited by Jim11B20; 17 February 2022, 11:01 AM.
                    When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

FBI=Gestapo DHS=KGB BATF=SS

Comment

• JEFFJP_N_JJ
                      Command Sgt Major
                      • Jun 2020

Thanks you guys! I hope to try my reloaded 200gr SWC's @ 25 off the bench and crono them as my new sunshade and rods showed up and NEED to get me a zero again on my JAE Dot gun...

Lifetime member NRA
                      GOA Member

Comment

• Trung Si
                        Chief Range Officer
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by VanHahner

Same here !
                        +1, I am not sure my gun works with anything but jacketed bullets.

I've never met a Lab I didn't like!

Comment

• Mud Pie
                          First Shirt
                          • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Trung Si
                          +1, I am not sure my gun works with anything but jacketed bullets.
                          Now that I think about it, I've never used anything but FMJ out of my 1911.
                          The older I get, the more I realize "life in prison" is not that much of a deterrent.

Comment

• Jim11B20
                            Platoon Sgt
                            • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Mud Pie
                            Now that I think about it, I've never used anything but FMJ out of my 1911.
                            I've yet to fire any jacketed out of my Kimber 1911, but I have fired a few of the Berry's plated.
                            When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

FBI=Gestapo DHS=KGB BATF=SS

Comment

• luigi
                              Section Leader
                              • Nov 2012

I mostly shoot PRN ( plated round nose ) 230gn out of my 1911. I find my 200gn SWC ( semi wad- cutters ) are more accurate for some reason. I clean my guns after every trip to the range.

Comment

Working...