"Keep ‘em in the 10 ring"
Where shooters, collectors and enthusiasts congregate

Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.

The M14 Rifle Association The M14 Rifle Association section at M14BR.com
Click Left above for M14RA website - click right above for M14RA Shooting Events

Home of the M14 Rifle Association Discussion Forum
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl LRB Arms of Long Island smithenterprise.com buladefense.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca The M14 Rifle Association Dwight's Gunleather
Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  8
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a curious question

I've got a friend who occasionally will come down and use my range . . . he has no place at all to shoot where he lives.

He inadvertently will go to the 25 yd line . . . set up a table, chair, put up targets . . . get out his bench rest rifle holder . . . and burn thru 50 rounds or more in a couple or 4 rifles.

Sometimes he'll toss in a few rounds from a new 9mm.

He never uses the 50 / 75 / 100 or 200 distances . . . always the 25.

Anybody got a handle on why??? When I've mentioned it . . . he says something like he's getting em ready.

May God bless,
    Dwightg

Click on image above
    LIFE MEMBER

Member M14 Rifle Association Board of Directors

If you can breathe, . . . thank God
    If you can read, . . . thank a teacher
    If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just a curious question

Maybe he's just getting his firearms zero'd for close range defensive purposes? On some old USGI zeroing targets, you can sight in at 25 with zeroing at a particular setting, to give you a battle sight zero out to 200+ yards. There's a target used for M16's and M14's, with the impact of the rounds below your sight picture for the M16 and one above your sight picture for M14's.
    "Keep 'em in the 10 Ring!"

Click on image above

3. Thanks VanHahner, Dwight55 thanked for this post
    Likes VanHahner, Dwight55 liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as he is shooting it is a good thing. Setting an example by demonstration can sometimes be a help. The secret is to encourage without discouraging. Sometimes there is a narrow line.
    Sgt USMC
    RVN 67-68 I Corps

Click on image above

M14 Rifle Association Vice President

5. Thanks VanHahner, Sustinemus, Dwight55, Jim11B20 thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

You are right Art . . . and I have been very careful to try to not cross that line.

He just seems to bring the same rifles / pistols back every time . . . some with what look like serious scopes . . . and his best even off the sled . . . is usually in the 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch diameter.

I had not thought of what 4570 said . . . because he obviously is not a hunter . . . and would be looking for one minute of bad guy when he would shoot. So if he's dropping em in even at 2 inches . . . he is still good to go.

I personally like to start em at 25 . . . go to 100 . . . check the zero there and log it if I need to . . . then go to 200 and hope I can even see the target. And of course mark whatever I need to just in case I have a major POI change at 200. With my centerfire rifles . . . If I can pop a hole in the middle of a pop can at 100 . . . I can set that same can back up . . . and usually hit it again with no change on my scope.

And I do like it that way . . . or maybe I should say I "did" like it that way . . . haven't been able to use my 200 yd range for almost 2 yrs now . . . gotta get that fixed.

May God bless,
    Dwight

Click on image above
    LIFE MEMBER

If you can breathe, . . . thank God
    If you can read, . . . thank a teacher
    If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran

7. Likes VanHahner liked this post
    Designated Marksman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps he's conserving his .22 LR ammo + other calibers ammo. -or- perhaps he's adjusting to vision / age changes - physical arm - hands - back - legs ( what ever ) ageing conditions. He is wanting to see if he can still remember how to ' adjust-remember ' to the different models of his arms collection; placement of safeties on the .22's and 9mm handguns. Likely his guns bring to mind past times of enjoyment / comfort in feel - fit - function- shot grouping. Yeaaaah, the excitement of squeezing one off and the follow through. Perhaps he has a small scope / binos that he checks the target ? Does he ask you to stick around the table when he shoots. Maybe he does not want to join a shoot club because of $$ ? Too far for him to travel to a shoot range ? Maybe just being near and Not asking, he MAY start talking - expressing his thoughts ? ? ?

9. Thanks VanHahner thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

If he's a friend, why not just ask him "point blank"? He may have a very good reason and one that could be shared w/this forum? I would ask him, even if he wasn't a friend...simply out of curiosity.
    "A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life."

Click on image above

11. Thanks VanHahner thanked for this post