"Keep Ďem in the 10 ring"
Where shooters, collectors and enthusiasts congregate

Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.

The M14 Rifle Association The M14 Rifle Association section at M14BR.com
Click Left above for M14RA website - click right above for M14RA Shooting Events

Home of the M14 Rifle Association Discussion Forum
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl LRB Arms of Long Island smithenterprise.com buladefense.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca The M14 Rifle Association Dwight's Gunleather
Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  28
    Designated Marksman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

1911, the return---Range test

I finally got my RIA 1911 Government model 45 acp back Tuesday morning, that had been stolen in a burglary back in 2013. Local SO, my old Department, recovered it about 2 years ago, and I got the okay to get it last year.
    Unfortunately, since I live in CA, in the Left Coast, firearms in police custody cannot just be returned. They must be checked to see if they are registered to the owner(me). If not, thereís a $25 fee, which is waived for stolen/recovered firearms.
    I submitted the return paperwork in December online to the CA Department of Justice. 2 weeks ago I got a call from a friend in the SO Property Room that my 6 month grace period was almost up.
    Since I have not gotten any response from the DOJ, I had to have my FFL Dealer pick it up and DROS as a new gun. $115. Sigh.
    Anyway. Tuesday afternoon I completely stripped the frame and checked it out. No damage. But Iím guessing that someone who knew nothing about 1911s was the owner.
    This is a Full Sized Government model(remember this). Hammer was now rounded, drop in stainless steel grip safety. Wooden grips were gone, replaced by some black plastic grips, with a wrap around rubber piece with molded in finger grooves, held on by some funky silver colored screws with a star embossed on them. There was also a Commander length guide rod and spring bushing.
    Gun was completely dry.😳
    Current plan, which is in progress, is to park the frame and associated small parts. Then I setting it up to take Commander slides. I have 2, one for 45 acp, and one for 9mm through 10mm. As well as a 5Ē slide for 10mm. All slides have been test fitted and function just fine. Iíve got to get the parking done soon, as my head blasting cabinet is outside and weíre expecting triple digit temperatures within a week.
    At my age, Iím beginning to like the Commander sized guns more and more.
    Iíll update as things progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sailormilan2; 7th June 2022 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Update

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1911, the return

Mine is still with my gunsmith awaiting sights, I think. Been so long I cannot remember...
    Glad you got her back Sailormilan2!
    "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

"Whenever you fall... Pick something up." - Oswald Every
    Lifetime member NRA
    GOA Member

3. Likes Hawk, 4570govt, VanHahner, Jim11B20 liked this post
    Designated Marksman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1911, the return---Updated

Here it is. Basically done, though some fine tuning may be in order. Complete gun has 45acp slide and barrel installed. Commander slide just above has 3 barrels fitted 9mm Parabellum, 38Super, and 9x23. Full sized slide is set for 10mm. Mainspring is set for 10mm at 25#, which all be able to handle without issue.
    Range testing is next. I will update with pics.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

glad for ya sir!
    Remember our fallen...

Platoon Sgt
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I amazed you got it back, I would never have expected that !! That's freaking amazing.

Many years ago, an old lady at the building I worked at had her totally stock Monte Carlo stolen. 2-3 years later she got it back. When she got it back it was now a shiny dark purple, custom interior, oversized chrome rims with low profile tires and a kick ass stereo system. She looked SO silly driving it. She said the police couldn't find anything in/on it that was hot so she got to take it as is. Just to make us all laugh, when she pulled in front of the building she'd crank the stereo until the subwoofer in the trunk made the license plate rattle. She eventually sold it for a lot more than what she originally paid.
    The older I get, the more I realize "life in prison" is not that much of a deterrent.

Click on image above

Member M14 Rifle Association Advisory Committee

7. Likes JEFFJP_N_JJ, wrwindsor, Jim11B20 liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Monte Carlo's had big trunks and bet the 'bass' was good
    "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

"Whenever you fall... Pick something up." - Oswald Every
    Lifetime member NRA
    GOA Member

Designated Marksman
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1911, the return---Update #2

Range test was yesterday. Strictly a function test, and to see where POI was compared to POA. 15 yds off the bench. First target(target with only 3 groups) shows 9mm, 38Super(converted Bar-Sto barrel), and 9x23. All using hot JHP loads. Bottom left, top left, top right. These all use the same slide. Only change was barrel and/or bushing, or recoil spring. 9mm and 9x23 use the same bushing, 9x23 uses different recoil spring. 38Super uses different bushing, but same spring as 9mm.
    2nd target(5 groups) shows cast lead bullets for 38Super and 9mm on their targets. Bottom right is 10mm which uses a different slide. Load is recommended load for accuracy with JHP bullets. Center group is 38Super using converted RIA 38Super Government barrel.
    The lone hole at low center is 3 shots from the 45acp. Absolute shocker. Stout load using FMJ bullets.
    All rounds feed reliably though slide didn't fully close on one 10mm. Only required a slight nudge to fully chamber. One stove pipe with 45acp. Since those 2 are new barrel and slide combos, that's to be expected. Groups could be better, but my 72 year old eyes aren't doing their job too well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sailormilan2; 7th June 2022 at 08:46 AM.