"Keep em in the 10 ring"
Where shooters, collectors and enthusiasts congregate

Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.

The M14 Rifle Association The M14 Rifle Association section at M14BR.com
Click Left above for M14RA website - click right above for M14RA Shooting Events

Home of the M14 Rifle Association Discussion Forum
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl LRB Arms of Long Island smithenterprise.com buladefense.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca The M14 Rifle Association Dwight's Gunleather
Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  62
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Canteen -- 13 June 2022

Just had the HVAC fixed. The capacitor crapped out. I remember these things being like $40, maybe $60 tops. This badboy was $210.

I'm pushing them to verify hardware warranty status because we're supposed to get ten years out of that unit and it's only 2.5yrs old.

So now during peak heat, it's 97F outside and the AC is grinding away trying to move us down from 85F inside (peak when the HVAC dude arrived). So far it is winning, currently 83F indoors.

I left the window unit in the master bedroom cranking, will yoink it before we go to sleep. I'm willing to spin extra electrons to cool the house down faster.

Click on image above

Member M14 Rifle Association Board Member

2. Likes JEFFJP_N_JJ liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I just had a bigger capacitor put it my AC as suggested out here and they charged me $150 for it installed
    "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

"Whenever you fall... Pick something up." - Oswald Every
    Lifetime member NRA
    GOA Member

Platoon Sgt
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrwindsor View Post
    Just had the HVAC fixed. The capacitor crapped out. I remember these things being like $40, maybe $60 tops. This badboy was $210.

I'm pushing them to verify hardware warranty status because we're supposed to get ten years out of that unit and it's only 2.5yrs old.

So now during peak heat, it's 97F outside and the AC is grinding away trying to move us down from 85F inside (peak when the HVAC dude arrived). So far it is winning, currently 83F indoors.

I left the window unit in the master bedroom cranking, will yoink it before we go to sleep. I'm willing to spin extra electrons to cool the house down faster.
    Its been insanely hot here in Pensacola with the heat index in the triple digits.
    3rd Place 2021 Spring Fling

Click on image above

Member M14 Rifle Association Advisory Committee

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

All is back to normal in the Windsor Casa, in terms of heat and cooling, that is.

I yoinked the window unit last night right before we went to bed. Wife was all grumpy about it, thought I "farted around until the last minute" before doing the job. Little does she know there was a method to my madness. We'll settle up on that difference tonight.

I still need to tuck it away in the corner of the garage. Right now it's an eyesore sitting in the house.

Youngest child isn't working today so he's at home. I bought some steaks from the local butcher shop and threw them on the grill since there were two of us around.

Also, the blackberries are a poppin! Wife and I pulled a good quart-and-a-half off of the bushes yesterday evening. This year is going to be a bit of a light load given how bad the landscaping crew mauled the bushes last fall. Because of that I'm doing the weeding and whatnot myself from now on.

Next year's load should be good. As soon as the bushes are done "makin' fruit," they go into full-tilt growth mode.

I'm glad I got thornless bushes, too.

If I had young'ns living here, especially daughters or granddaughters, I'd have gone for the "full-bore thorny bastards" since they're planted right outside the bedroom windows.

Click on image above

6. Likes LDO6490, Jim11B20 liked this post
    Platoon Sgt
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I, too, replaced my entire AC system this past April. I went with a 2 stage 5 ton Trane unit and Trane 2 stage gas furnace. The cost made me jump and turn in tiny circles, but with temps over 100* all week, I'm glad I did it. When I was talking to my buddy back on Long Island (most homes don't have, or need, AC), he asks, "You have a gas furnace ? Why ? Have you ever used it ?". When I said it does drop into the 30's here, he comes back with, "For what ? Less than a week ?". Well, yeah, some years.....

There is nothing better than walking into a house that's 72* when it's well over 100* outside....well, it's a little better than pulling up the program for the system and seeing "Stage One Cooling: ON Stage Two Cooling: OFF" and it's 72* in the house....
    The older I get, the more I realize "life in prison" is not that much of a deterrent.

Click on image above

8. Likes wrwindsor liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Wife came home feeling worn out and coughing. She was running a temp, too.

She got some good sleep last night, got up this morning before I did (as usual) and got her day going. She found our government-supplied covid test kits and took one, positive.

I'm fine, which means a) I'm due to get it, or b) I've already had it (and just didn't know).

I guess we'll find out which.

I suspect (b), as I have a pretty strong immune system -- things that wipe out others for three days are usually a six-hour annoyance for me.

Click on image above

Platoon Sgt
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrwindsor View Post
    Wife came home feeling worn out and coughing. She was running a temp, too.

She got some good sleep last night, got up this morning before I did (as usual) and got her day going. She found our government-supplied covid test kits and took one, positive.

I'm fine, which means a) I'm due to get it, or b) I've already had it (and just didn't know).

I guess we'll find out which.

I suspect (b), as I have a pretty strong immune system -- things that wipe out others for three days are usually a six-hour annoyance for me.
    I hope you don't get it.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I had VERY close extended contact with someone that has COVID. I've taken a total of 4 tests so far, I didn't get it. My wife wasn't surprised at all. "You've never gotten a flu shot and never, ever got the flu even when I have it and we share the same bed. You didn't get a Mumps shot and never had the Mumps. Your last Tetanus shot was over 30 years ago and you are always getting cut with dirty, rusty crap. You get a common head cold every 3 years that last 2-3 days. COVID ain't got shit on you !!".

Everything she said was true, but I know she was just comforting herself in hopes I don't get it. I know she loves me but she'd make the worst nurse and she admits it. I once broke 3 ribs (one of them ribs broke twice so I had a free-floater; breathing was an absolute joy) and I could barely twist left or right. I jokingly informed her she may have to wipe my butt. She said, "No way. I'll stand you in the shower and hose you down.". She never had to. After I healed, I asked her if she was kidding. She said, "Not even a little bit.".
    The older I get, the more I realize "life in prison" is not that much of a deterrent.

Click on image above

11. Thanks wrwindsor, polish29 thanked for this post
    Likes JEFFJP_N_JJ, Sustinemus, Jim11B20, LDO6490 liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Well weather didn't co-operate fully this trip up north. The best day was Monday and it was gorgeous! Went and visited Art on my way up. Downhill from there. Managed to get about 2/3s of the 3.5 acres of mowing done.

This is what I am up against. Over 3 feet high in some areas where the sun hits most all day. 1.5 feet high in the rest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Semper-Fi! Hawk
    USMC 71-73

Life Member 3rd Mar Div Assoc.
    Life Member DAV
    Life Member M14RA (President)

Aim small.....Miss small!

Creator of the SparrowHawkM14 "Original" M14 Dummy Kit.TM
    Co-Creator of the "Original" M14 Forum

Click on the image above
    Member M14 Rifle Association Board of Directors

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

At least you have your mower working.
    There were a lot worse places than Phu Bai and they weren't all in Viet Nam.

Click on image above

14. Thanks Hawk thanked for this post
    Likes Hawk liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

My Dad texts me yesterday and informs me he has finally managed to come down with COVID. He's up to date on his vax and boosters and caught it anyway. So far I'm not vaxed and have managed to stay WU-flu free.

In lighter news I went to my dentist about six weeks ago for my first annual cleaning this year only to find out I need a root canal. I've never had one and have always heard how horrible they are. So I go in Monday this week to have it done and I'm nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Man I dread this!! I leave the office just over an hour later all numbed up thinking how bad it's gonna be when the Novacain wears off. Four hours later I'm eating ice cream and wondering what the big deal is. I've had fillings that bothered me more than this. Zero pain all week long. So I'm wodering if I just got lucky or this dentist I went to is just that good. I hope I never need another one because it would probably kill me.
    White Privilege Domestic Terrorist

Click on image above

16. Thanks chief on one thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast