"Keep ‘em in the 10 ring"
Where shooters, collectors and enthusiasts congregate

Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.

The M14 Rifle Association The M14 Rifle Association section at M14BR.com
Click Left above for M14RA website - click right above for M14RA Shooting Events

Home of the M14 Rifle Association Discussion Forum
Our Premier Sponsors
Hawk's M14 Dummy Kits HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl LRB Arms of Long Island smithenterprise.com buladefense.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca The M14 Rifle Association Dwight's Gunleather
Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  52
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buttplate conversion, 1st attempt

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyG View Post
    I may be wrong here, but I think raising the butt plate in competition was prohibited.
    Not a competitor here. I train like I mean business and shoot for accuracy the way I learned back when it was a matter of life or death.
    Sgt USMC
    RVN 67-68 I Corps

Click on image above

M14 Rifle Association Vice President

2. Likes Tarheel Trooper, VanHahner, 58COOP liked this post
    Fire Team Leader
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Not a competitor here. I train like I mean business and shoot for accuracy the way I learned back when it was a matter of life or death.
    Now you're talking !!! Keep training nf1e, the way things are looking that training will be needed again. I've never been a minute of angle shooter, now minute of man is more to my liking.

There is no hunting like the hunting of man,
    and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it,
    never care for anything else thereafter.
    Ernest Hemingway
    Last edited by tat2steve; 21st June 2022 at 10:57 PM.

4. Likes JEFFJP_N_JJ, nf1e, VanHahner, polish29 liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tat2steve View Post
    Now you're talking !!! Keep training nf1e, the way things are looking that training will be needed again. I've never been a minute of angle shooter, now minute of man is more to my liking.

There is no hunting like the hunting of man,
    and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it,
    never care for anything else thereafter.
    Ernest Hemingway
    All any of us can do is our best with what God has provided us with.

Viva America
    Sgt USMC
    RVN 67-68 I Corps

Click on image above

M14 Rifle Association Vice President

6. Likes JEFFJP_N_JJ, Jim11B20, VanHahner, 58COOP liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Shoot the way you were trained or what you think works best for you. As far as the butt plate for competition, it is not allowed in NRA or CMP competition, it must be used only in the folded position. The USMC, US Army, USN, USAF used to all field teams that followed these rules with their M14's. Now they all shoot match conditioned M16's, so really doesn't matter, unless you're a civilian and shooting an M14.

I started using non skid tape on my butt plates, it works really good! I didn't find out until later, that I was violating the rules using that too. There are lots of rules with CMP and NRA in High Power, that aren't always necessarily followed, depends on the Range Master or a competitor you might have bested and he goes whining that you broke the rules! Even though the minor thing he was whining about wouldn't have mattered anyhow!

I saw this man win the state match a few years ago, won fair and square with an M14. I could tell one of the Prima Donnas there didn't like it, insisted on weighing the winners trigger pull and putting on show about it. The trigger passed, the winner was still the winner. That was the first time they weighed a trigger in quite some time, they didn't like it because the winner was from out of state.

Shoot the way you want to
    "Keep 'em in the 10 Ring!"

Click on image above

Member M14 Rifle Association Board of Directors

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

The way you wanna the main thing is just shoot. Have a purpose and push your limits and boundaries.

The Republics future may very well depend upon it one day…
    On my honor,
    I will never betray my badge,
    my integrity, my character,
    or the public trust.
    I will always have
    the courage to hold myself
    and others accountable for our actions.
    I will always uphold the constitution,
    my community, and the agency I serve.

Click on image above

Member M14 Rifle Association Board of Directors

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NC C.C.H. Instructor

"The Artist Formally Known As Shadow"

9. Likes nf1e, Jim11B20, 58COOP liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4570govt View Post
    Shoot the way you were trained or what you think works best for you. As far as the butt plate for competition, it is not allowed in NRA or CMP competition, it must be used only in the folded position. The USMC, US Army, USN, USAF used to all field teams that followed these rules with their M14's. Now they all shoot match conditioned M16's, so really doesn't matter, unless you're a civilian and shooting an M14.

I didn't find out until later, that I was violating the rules using that too. There are lots of rules with CMP and NRA in High Power, that aren't always necessarily followed, depends on the Range Master or a competitor you might have bested and he goes whining that you broke the rules! Even though the minor thing he was whining about wouldn't have mattered anyhow!

I saw this man win the state match a few years ago, won fair and square with an M14. I could tell one of the Prima Donnas there didn't like it, insisted on weighing the winners trigger pull and putting on show about it. The trigger passed, the winner was still the winner. That was the first time they weighed a trigger in quite some time, they didn't like it because the winner was from out of state.

Shoot the way you want to

Way, way, way back when I was in my early 20's and shot Hi Power hand gun Shilouette I bought me an 8" Dan Wesson .44 mag to use and shot out of the Redlands, CA range back then to be able to shoot all classes. I got me 3 39x40's before a 40x40 was ever shot and one time a guy tied with me and accused me of using my cowboy boots as an aiming aid... He went to the range master and then everyone around started shouting 'shoot off!'.
    Chicken tails as targets and cannot remember the range... I do remember being embarressed and a bit ticked but took off my boot and got down into the Creedmore position used by all at the time and got me three out of five chicken tails in 29 seconds... I was recocking on the way down from recoil and had me a great NPA and let her go as soon as sights were aligned...

Must have spooked my challenger as he used his entire 2 min of time to get him one out of five chicken tails... I took the match that day without my right boot!
    "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

"Whenever you fall... Pick something up." - Oswald Every
    Lifetime member NRA
    GOA Member

11. Thanks 4570govt, Jim11B20 thanked for this post
    Likes 4570govt, Jim11B20, 58COOP, wrwindsor liked this post
    Section Leader
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

kool Re: Buttplate conversion, 1st attempt

Here is the real deal. The filler is quite rare as most were simply tossed out when the new flip up butt plates became available. Note the butt plate to. The diamonds are inverted. It was specialy made for this application back in 1960.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.tedbrownrifles.com

Member and Recommended Armorer

13. Thanks Jim11B20, M1Sniper thanked for this post
    Likes Jim11B20, LDO6490, 58COOP, M1Sniper liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I started using non skid tape on my butt plates, it works really good! I didn't find out until later, that I was violating the rules using that too.

The standard trick was spraying sticky glue on your shoulder pad and glove so your grip wouldn't slip. The butt plates and stocks of serious competitors were covered with stick-em.

Never understood how that was legal but anti-skid tape was not. Neither were standard issue items.
    There were a lot worse places than Phu Bai and they weren't all in Viet Nam.

Click on image above

Member M14 Rifle Association Advisory Committee

Section Leader
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Firm Grip and other spray on products were used by competitive shooters to insure the butt of the rifle would stay in the proper place during rapid fire matches. It was legal under the rules because it was temporary and did not modify the rifle. Non-skid tapes applied to the butt plate are considered an external modification and not allowed under NRA and CMP rules. I used Firm Grip on my rifle, but in very small applications and I cleaned it off after every match. This was important because a build up of Firm Grip would result in a slippery surface that defeats it's original purpose.

I also applied Firm Grip to my shooting glove (never to my rifles forearm). I didn't much like that sticky stuff all over my rifle.
    www.tedbrownrifles.com

Member and Recommended Armorer

16. Likes LDO6490 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2