Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Tis the season

Platoon Sgt
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Tis the season

Muzzelloader that is. I have 2 T/C rifles not including the Encore 50 cal. My Hawken is a 50 cal and the Renegade is a 54 cal. I bought the 54 used at a show several yrs ago. "Looked well cared for" looked at the bore and appeared okay to the naked eyeball. So I drew a antelope tag a few yrs back and started testing loads. Couldn't get anything remotely close to hunting accuracy from the 54 with RB or Maxi.
    So I drew a deer tag here this season and remembered the 54 issue. I've got a Lyman bore scope and thought I'd take a peek. Of course the Scope only reaches 20 in but was enough to tell the tale. From muzzle down it was okay with mild pitting until I got close to the 20 in mark.
    At 20 in there is nothing left but corrosion. So that means the last few inches are toast.
    Well the 50 cal will be used again this season so I'll most likely use a patched RB. Lucky for me with the component issue I still have a decent supply of Goex 2f and Trip7 2f with caps to get me through.
    Found with help from others a contact to send the 54 in for a reline. So hope to get that done over the winter.
    M14RA Member
    NRA Endowment
    GOA Member
    OFF Member

Click on image above

2. Thanks VanHahner thanked for this post
    Likes wrwindsor, VanHahner, 4570govt, canman liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tis the season

U.S.M.C. Scout Sniper 67-68

Platoon Sgt
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tis the season

I see that beautiful beast and can't help but think, "Someone is lucky enough to take that home ? That'll keep you happy all winter !"

Oh, the deer is pretty big also.
    The older I get, the more I realize "life in prison" is not that much of a deterrent.

Member M14 Rifle Club Advisory Committee

5. Likes 58COOP liked this post