Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  29
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Canteen -- 19 September 2022

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Canteen -- 19 September 2022

I used to always work outside without a shirt on in the summer, would brown up very well, but then started getting big spots on my shoulders. The Doc cut one off my shoulder, sewed it up and sent the sample to be analyzed. Results were benign, but I was told it looked like it could easily turn bad, so stop going without a shirt!
    "Keep 'em in the 10 Ring!"

Member M14 Battle Rifle Club Board of Directors

Platoon Sgt
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was a wee lad I used to get burned SO bad that the top of each shoulder from my neck outward would be one huge blister. Big massive thing, looks like I was wearing shoulder pads. It'd get about 1/2" tall and filled with water. My older sisters, the evil bitches they are, thought it was funny to smack the blisters to make them pop. When the inevitable tears began to flow from the pain, they'd laugh and call me a wuss. But if they got red from sunburn and I'd smack their leg, I "was being mean".

In boot I got the top of my now-bald head and the tops of my ears so burnt I got sun poisoning and it got all crusty brown that sand fleas (or so I was told) made a home in the scabs every time I was outdoors. I had to go to sick bay, get a scrub and get a shot and some type of ointment to rub on the scabs. Try standing at attention on The Grinder and not move a muscle when you can feel and hear bugs eating the scabs on your ears. Talk about discipline !!

If there ever was a person designed to work night shift, that'd be me. But I can't stay awake all night, I pulled a night shift for about 2 years, I had a real hard time staying awake.
    The older I get, the more I realize "life in prison" is not that much of a deterrent.

Member M14 Rifle Club Advisory Committee

3. Thanks wrwindsor thanked for this post
    Likes Sustinemus, Hawk liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

When I joined Uncle Sam's Green Machine I had hair down to my shoulders. My ears didn't get a lot of sun. But when they scalped us and put us in pickle suits, well, the tops of my ears turned to greasy leather, along with a patch on my forehead where the part is. Interestingly, that little patch on my forehead where the part is (yes, I still have hair) still to this day is kind of leathery to the touch.

5. Likes Hawk liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

My brother and I lived with our grandparents for five years when we were kids.

Every late spring when we'd get good and sunburned, usually from some BSA camping activity where we ran around all weekend without a shirt on, grandparents would force us to take a healthy dose of white vinegar to the toasty red skin. According to them it prevented us from getting burned the rest of the year.

I have no idea if it works that way or not, but to this day I can't stand the smell of raw white vinegar.

Member M14 Rifle Club Board Member

7. Likes Sustinemus liked this post
    Platoon Sgt
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sustinemus View Post
    When I joined Uncle Sam's Green Machine I had hair down to my shoulders. My ears didn't get a lot of sun. But when they scalped us and put us in pickle suits, well, the tops of my ears turned to greasy leather, along with a patch on my forehead where the part is. Interestingly, that little patch on my forehead where the part is (yes, I still have hair) still to this day is kind of leathery to the touch.
    Same with the tops and inside bottom of my ears, looks like freckles, but it's just light brown splotches. Darkens a tad when outside.

I'd like to blame my receding hairline on the Corps also, but I choose to blame it on being with the same woman for 34 years....lol
    The older I get, the more I realize "life in prison" is not that much of a deterrent.

Member M14 Rifle Club Advisory Committee

9. Thanks polish29 thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

11. Likes Jim11B20, Sustinemus, Mud Pie, polish29 liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3