Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Canteen -- 19 September 2022

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

kool The Canteen -- 19 September 2022

Welcome to the 17th edition of "The Canteen"

This is a weekly thread to say whatever. It runs Monday-to-Monday (usually) and when the next thread is created the previous "current one" becomes "the old one" and is locked. It sits for a week locked and then is deleted. Nothing you say here is permanent other than in memories.

Talk about your your latest hunk of meat you smoked, talk about your wife baking cookies and killing your diet plan, or talk about your son's car having a tire with a slow leak -- it's all good.

Please stay within the general forum rules: be nice, no politics, keep it generally family friendly.

Member M14 Rifle Club Board Member

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Canteen -- 19 September 2022

Having lunch with some old college buds today.

One of which had significant foot surgery recently so his wife is coming along and playing driver.

They were married before I bolted out of college, so I've met her once or twice... 27 years ago.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to have visits with old friends. Funny how we all age when we donít see each other often.
    Sgt USMC
    RVN 67-68 I Corps

M14 Rifle Club Vice President
    Member M14BR Club Board of Directors

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Nice to have visits with old friends. Funny how we all age when we donít see each other often.
    Indeed.

The same guy that had foot surgery had moved into the DFW area back in 2018-2019. Early 2019, I booked a 1-on-1 lunch with him. After not really communicating with him for 20-ish years I thought it would be good to feel out how he felt about the other guys already in town. You never know.

He was happy to visit with the old crew so we started doing monthly lunch runs. Before, the three of us would do a run about once every 3-4 months.

One of the crew that had lived here the longest has sold his house and moved out of state back in early August, so we're back to three (four if you include a spouse) ol' college buds doing lunch.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Some family-friendly humor that crossed my path this morning.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Sitting at Poliholi beach next to the Barking Sands Naval base, it's very easy to relax and forget the rest of the world exists.

7. Likes wrwindsor, Hawk liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't, it's just a bad dream.

Platoon Sgt
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

While at work today, a young-un, 29 yrs old, was excited telling a story about an old high school friend he ran in to that he hasn't seen since graduation. I leaned back and said, "I'm still friends with my childhood friends and we still keep in touch all the time.". He was shocked. 'Really ?!?! How ?!". Of course I had to be one of "those old guys" and give an old man lecture. "It took work. We actually hand wrote letters to each other; with actual photos in the envelope. Called each other on birthdays and holidays. Shared tears over the phone when a parent passed. Traveled to each others towns for funerals and weddings. These are REAL friends, not fake Facebook friends that post pictures of their lunch sandwich. These are friends that when they call and say, "I need to see you." that you hop a plane that weekend. You'll find out why when you get there. Just be a true friend. ".

He said, "Nobody has friends like that anymore."

"And that's your loss. Texting and social media robbed you of a lifelong treasure. You know it's a true friend when you see each other after a few years and you pick up like you were together last weekend.".

I told my wife this, and she said what I had was VERY uncommon. This past April she came back to L.I. with me for my best friends birthday. The whole gang was together again. She said she sat back and watched us. She said she could EASILY see us as school kids in the playground. We all had that kid giggling going on; the playful pushing and shoving. She said she was jealous and made her want to get a hold of her old friends but knew it would never happen. She put it as "watering a dead plant" whereas we kept the plant alive for 5 decades.

So maybe I'm just a lucky old man.
    The older I get, the more I realize "life in prison" is not that much of a deterrent.

Member M14 Rifle Club Advisory Committee

10. Thanks Hawk thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent a postcard off yesterday. Who uses postcards these days?

Way-back, wife 1.0 had this friend that was a bit of a mother-figure to her that did executive recruiting (job placement) for money and bred/trained cutting horses for a hobby. Apparently a few times before I met wife 1.0, she'd get all twisted up about something mentally and would venture out and clean horse stalls to help clear her head.

Fast forward to about 22yrs ago, give or take a year or two, we venture out to California for a week just to visit this gal and her hubby. They had semi-recently purchased a 10-acre tract near Sacramento and was putting more time into the horse business. Hubby was retired army: started enlisted, field commission in Vietnam, post-conflict the Pentagon told him to get a degree or get out so he got his degree. Eventually made it to Jag to keep the Pentagon on its toes. Anyway, we hit it off and it was a very pleasant trip.

I had mentioned his story earlier and reflecting on that it really bothered me that we fell out of touch. At first it was to respect "ex-wife's friends are not my friends" but now I'm thinking that's a load of crap. I chased down their current address on the Internet and bought a "Texas" postcard last week, wrote a quick note last weekend, ran it in to the post office to save a dime on the postage. All we have at home are those "forever stamps" which is almost 2x what you need to mail a postcard.

I have no idea if wife 1.0 was still talking with them after we split up in '08. In my searching for them one site popped up with their political party affiliation -- "Republican" for both of them. Knowing my wife and the current political times, if she was in touch with them, she's likely given them her signature vitriol and severed that friendship.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago I bought a phone mount at Best Buy. It was the type that would literally clamp itself around the side edges of the phone.

About a month ago the kids borrowed it and returned it broken. The clamping part was missing one of the four arms (two on each side). Also, the clamp-on-ball part was broken in two places (visible in one of the pics below).

By this time I had shifted over to iFone with the MagSafe (wireless) charging system and had bought a Belkin charger plate that will hold the phone and charge it too. The problem with the Belkin system is they want you to affix it to a vent. But I have this perfectly functional window suction cup arm, so why not use it?

The problem is both the original arm and the Belkin was that they were both female, expecting the mated part to have the ball.

I thunk on it for a couple of days and then started making drawings in Fusion 360. It needed to be two-piece because the coupler is held onto the arm by a center screw, which I didn't want burrowed down the center of the ball.

A few print runs to test fit and tweak sizing, and voila!

I printed it in ASA so that it could withstand the cabin temps in a warm Texas summer day.

13. Thanks Hawk thanked for this post
    Likes Hawk, JEFFJP_N_JJ, 58COOP liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast