"Keep ‘em in the 10 ring"
Where shooters, collectors and enthusiasts congregate

Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.

Our Premier Sponsors
HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl LRB Arms of Long Island smithenterprise.com buladefense.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca Dwight's Gunleather
Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  43
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 BDL .270

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Remington 700 BDL .270

I traded for this Remington 700 BDL in .270 Winchester, got it from my youngest brother. Made back in the 90's, at least that's when he bought it new, barely any wear at all. I took off the picatinny mount he had on it and mounted a nice Redfield Jr. one piece mount, now the scope is close to the receiver, which I like much better. Plus it has a more classic look. Will start load development soon.

After he handed the rifle to me, he brought out another box, full of .243 brass, bullets and dies, yep, I'm planning on buying a .243 too, why not?!

"Keep 'em in the 10 Ring!"

Member M14 Battle Rifle Club Board of Directors

2. Thanks Pat C., VanHahner thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remington 700 BDL .270

I bought mine new at Best Products back in 1987 ,hunted for years with it. Been in the back of safe for years. Mine would shoot groups that could be covered with a dime at 100 yards . .270 is hard to beat .Nice rifles . I paid $349 or $379 can't remember

4. Thanks 4570govt thanked for this post
    Likes 4570govt, JEFFJP_N_JJ, VanHahner liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one I traded for and sold... Late Brother was a Remington man!

Wish I would have kept that .270!
    "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

"Whenever you fall... Pick something up." - Oswald Every
    Member M14 Battle Rifle Club
    Lifetime member NRA
    GOA Member

6. Thanks Pat C. thanked for this post
    Likes 4570govt, VanHahner liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pat C. View Post
    I bought mine new at Best Products back in 1987 ,hunted for years with it. Been in the back of safe for years. Mine would shoot groups that could be covered with a dime at 100 yards . .270 is hard to beat .Nice rifles . I paid $349 or $379 can't remember
    The Remington's are nice, I actually just bought another Rem 700 ADL 30-06, made in 1962, first year of manufacture. I'm looking forward to picking her up, she might be the basis of a custom build. I'm thinking a heavy Kreiger for a barrel, Triggertech trigger, H-S Precision stock.

8. Thanks Pat C. thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

That ADL would be a wonderful custom rifle. BDL 's were a little on the fancy side.

Dad had the 742 BDL , 552 Speedmaster which is also fancy BDL style ,I ha've the 700 BDL .

10. Thanks 4570govt thanked for this post
    Likes 4570govt liked this post
    Section Leader
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only owned one 700 and only for a short time. It was a newer and cheaper model synthetic parkerized in 243. Nothing like that beauty you have.
    Thought I was on to something.... Climbed up in a big oak tree and sat on a big branch thinking the small caliber and light profile would be the ultimate tree gun. I was right for the most part, but the impact on the deer in that caliber was very disappointing.
    There were some problems with early 700's. I'm doubtful this is news to anyone here ...but I'll say it anyway for the sake of conversation. "Remington under fire" if I recall correctly was a "60 minutes" interview. A seriously good watch if you have some spare time to kill. Very sad too. A mother shot her own son out west, maybe Colorado or Montana. Her boy was behind some type of camper when she unloaded her rifle after a family hunt. The early rifle fired by wiggling the bolt, which she did while unloading the rifle.

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a recall for Rem 700's from 2006-2014. Might be more recalls, not sure about that. Supposedly, the trigger is faulty. I've owned more than a few 700's over the years, never a problem. The Remington's I have now, including the newest .270, which was made in the 90's, all have aftermarket triggers. The old 1962 model 700, will have a new Triggertech trigger installed soon.

13. Likes 6.5x68 liked this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't really know what year model the one I has was but it was the BDL fancy one... Not my type so I sold it... It did shoot good though!

My late brother had several of them and did have an accidental discharge in my present that was probably trigger related.
    "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

"Whenever you fall... Pick something up." - Oswald Every
    Member M14 Battle Rifle Club
    Lifetime member NRA
    GOA Member

15. Thanks 4570govt thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Zero'd the .270, then shot this group, looks promising. 9/16th inches. Still have to adjust the scope a bit.

17. Thanks Pat C. thanked for this post
    Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

The bores on the 700 were all hand lapped after rifling,watched a Remington video years ago .

19. Thanks 4570govt thanked for this post
    Likes 4570govt, 6.5x68 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast