"Keep ‘em in the 10 ring"
Where shooters, collectors and enthusiasts congregate

Please keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers.

Our Premier Sponsors
HueyGunner's Gunsmithingl LRB Arms of Long Island smithenterprise.com buladefense.com

Our Sponsors
M14.ca Dwight's Gunleather
Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Going Downtown Day Three of Linebacker 2

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Going Downtown Day Three of Linebacker 2

Going downtown was GI for headed to Hanoi. Today is the third day of Linebacker 2 in 1972. The North Vietnamese found out Nixon wasn't Johnson when he released the shackles that held Navy Air and the USAF from striking targets. The raids in the beginning would be costly for the bombers of SAC as SAC being SAC wouldn't listen to the tactical airforce who had experience operating in this high threat area. Tactics were not changed until bomber crews almost mutinied. I spent 11 years in SAC aircraft and missile operations and had the great pleasure to be mentored by Majors thru Generals who flew these missions as Captains and Majors and senior NCO's who did the grunt work of keeping jets flying and loading bombs. One of my Boss's barrel rolled a B-52 to evade a SAM. He did and brought his plane and crew home. The jet never flew again.

Attached is one of those missions.

https://youtu.be/60ihI7VU2OY
    You all can go to hell, I'm goin to Texas.
    Davie Crockett

Rounds Down Range
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Going Downtown Day Three of Linebacker 2

I knew a guy that was there at that time that worked as a 'ground man?' used to load and service those birds and talked of LAOS and Saigon quite a bit... Was AF but not a 'jeeper!'...
    "In a time of drastic change, it is the learners who will inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

"Whenever you fall... Pick something up." - Oswald Every
    Member M14 Battle Rifle Club
    Lifetime member NRA
    GOA Member

3. Likes 4570govt liked this post